Naval Battle League 2016-2018

The armor of the spirit is done. Thank goodness I didn't name it the Ghost otherwise that would be downright copyright infringement. It unintentionally ended up looking like the ghost from rebels. Now to arm the thing.

EDIT: The way i armored it effectively added bulkheads on the inside so even the inside is armored. I cant be sure as it's unfinished, but it looks like a tank. After some testing, it appears I was right. I survived a 300 m/s hit from one of miffedstarfishes guided torpedos. The only issue is that some armor breaks off and the part clipping from the armor causes some instability. Anyone have any fixes?

Edited by ShadowGoat

On 09/04/2017 at 8:54 AM, ShadowGoat said:

@quasarrgames Would you give me a favor and do some testing of my new ship? Once I adjust the armor so the missiles don't hit it and prevent the engine shroud from turning into a k-drive upon any impact I'd gladly give it to you. Also those are some nice ships

I'd be happy to. I can test the spirit as well when you're done. I could possibly test your ships too @Spearka

On 09/04/2017 at 1:47 AM, MiffedStarfish said:

@quasarrgames 3 weeks on, I finally found the QSS Itself. Very sneaky "cloaking," I had heard of it before but now I have reverse engineered it. :)

Noooo how will i convince enemies to attack only a specific ship in my fleet now?! :P:) 

(whaddya say we keep it between you and me?)

then all fleet rebel again there leader game over i love this game ^^ but you don't want me to play it ... thoose fleet commander sometime ^^

where my fleet now ; ) oh just in front of me ^^ so cool

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
yeah yeah i m as fan as awlays with this game srry ^^ just poking you a liitle ^^

This is a little off topic, but i spent my night building a SLP, which is engineer speak for "Stupidly large plane." Yes, i build a 50 some crew capacity plane, with a full double decker interior, as seen below. And it actually flies.

Now, without further ado, here are the pictures.

it sitting on the runway.

The bland (Im not that good at detailing) interior.

it taking flight.

Hope you enjoyed, sorry it's off topic.

@ShadowGoat I finally tested the shadow, the results were mixed. On one hand, the overlapping double layer armour was tough, it actually fully absorbed a G3 Torpedo from closer than optimal range. However, after moving back 500 metres, I was reliably incapacitating it. 

dtw5pc5.jpg

(I pitted it against an Eos, which is nearly exactly half its mass)

Sorry for the lighting, but the entire back section is gone, including engines and most of the I-Beams.

AzfzSRg.jpg

I didnt test its weapons against the Eos, because they were regular I-beams and flea torps which deal minor damage. 

Overall, it is a big step in the right direction but not quite there. It's armour is tough, but it is internally weak. I suspect that the torpedo destroyed a structual girder which the entire back section wasn't built of. Also, I think you should really work on minimising and lightening your designs. At 80 tons it doesn't really do anything that couldn't be done with something half its weight. I would reccomend building small picket and patrol vessels before you try to make massive battle cruisers and frigates. It is a good ship though, i bet if you'd had these in our battle you would have destroyed a few EX-2s. :)

In other news, construction has started on the EX-12, a anti-fighter gunboat style patrol ship, which I'm aiming to be around 25-35 tons.

Also, if anyone wants to battle, I'm up for it.

Edit: @Spartwo can you uptdate me on the scoreboard as I beat shadowgoat? 

Edited by MiffedStarfish

thinking about it, I probaly should have figured that out myself...

What are your thoughts on these rules i made up for balanced figher squadron use?

Fighter Squadrons

1. In a fleet, in place of normal ships, you can instead use a squadron of three identical fighters. They count as one ship, and you can have as many as you want within the specific battles ship limit.

2. When attacking or being attacked, the squadron effectively count as one ship, you can attack all three in one turn and all three can attack in the same turn.

3. Each fighter must be of the same class (though you could possibly use different loadouts) and under 15 tons each, to bring them in line with carriers. Their tonnage is added to your fleet combined.

Example: My fleet consists of one battleship at 75 tons, 2 pickets at 40 tons each, and a squadron of fighters at 45 tons. Total mass: 200 tons.

I built i new ship. The Spirits building has been halted due to the clipping error, and now i built a ship that has decent armor, i should think.

I havent tested yet, but ill let you know what the results are. it's called the breakthrough because hopefully it has good armor. The weaponry is still crud tho.

heres the picture.

@ShadowGoat Looks good, But I wouldn't reccomend firing ALL your weapons in one go. Partly because you might destroy your target with one, and partly because you are instantly making yourself incapable of one of the three criteria. Most people use groups of 1 or 2, which would give you 7 shots, enough to at least minor damage to any ship. Apart from that looks great, small, fully armoured with no gaps, and the weapons spread out over the ship making it hard to disable. I could test it if you want if you gave me the craft file?

In other news, I just did a battle test of an EX-9 Eos vs An STV Thiar, and the results were very good for the Eos. 

Giving the Eos the first turn as it is over 3 times lighter, I fire one G3 Torpedo from 1.5 km away.

kgnTFaJ.jpg

jaUrMii.jpg

Yu6e2IA.jpg

It impacts the armour near the front, (for fairness, during tests I turn the enemy vessel a random direction) and neatly removes exactly half the Thiar's weapons and the armour protecting it, but otherwise leaving it intact.

For the Thiars turn, I launch one of the it's 1.25m missiles from 1.7km away, which impacted the Eos straight down the front.

CZuclkl.jpg

By a combination of tight building and sheer luck, the missile hit one of the I-Beams and destroyed only that, leaving the Eos completely intact apart from that.

0JjjHUi.jpg

In retaliation I closed in to optimal firing range and launched another G3 Torpedo.

hAATmnZ.jpg

It impacted and completely gutted the Thiar, leaving it a shell with no control, engines, power or weapons.

WsPgwTg.jpg

EGJ4cfH.jpg

WA7vtlt.jpg

With the battle over, The Eos returned to an orbital dry dock for rearming.

3 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

WsPgwTg.jpg

Nice screenie, seems like I'll have to take a look at the initial connections from the shell to the tankage as besides the small amount that got broken off in the first shot the debris field looks lacking in only those 2 parts. Inter connectors are there as well as the escape assembly and weapons stacks. The mk2 fuel tanks are gone because at 6m/s they break if you look at them funny, but they're at the end of a branch so that's fine for now, not worth the sacrifice to logistical abilities.

9 minutes ago, Spartwo said:

F12 

woo!

10 minutes ago, Spartwo said:

and feel free to share progress and screenshots here.

Well I did say it was in my head. I'll start production tomorrow. I'm thinking 2 variants. 1 that has a ton of ammo and a huge size, the other having little ammo but being a tiny target.

(Also, I'm probably going to accidentally rip off your G3 torpedo, @MiffedStarfish :P)

I'm making progress. As far as i can tell the side sections are very secure, but they are subject to being knocked off the root part. Other than that it absorbed a g3 torp from 200 metres and it split, but no parts broke. is it cheating if i reroot all the parts to an offset i beam? Also none of my ships can move. I go full thrust with the shadow with 4 lvns and it doesn't get any closer to the target. I do the same with the posiedon which only has 2 lvns and it gos flying at my ship. Anyone know what i can do to fix this?

Edited by ShadowGoat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.