[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [16.1][28.05.2024][Mars Expedition WIP]

Beale

Posted (edited)

More Proton stuff :)

Proton K launching Kvant-3 ~ 2001 (More stuff from our story lol)

ZuzNFA4.png

buWVkuJ.png

cZr8O38.png

OerbczJ.png

Even though it's not updated stuff, I thought I'd mess around with Energia too

7uku1t3.png

GWkf5Uk.png

4 hours ago, Beale said:

Working on the foil a bit, new territory for Tantares really.

NmL64aI.png

Can't wait for this it looks so good, I've been working on Angara stuff recently, so I'll be sure to use it in the Angara Persei/Orion configuration!

Edited by AmateurAstronaut1969

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

More Proton stuff :)

Proton K launching Kvant-3 ~ 2001 (More stuff from our story lol)

ZuzNFA4.png

Even though it's not updated stuff, I thought I'd mess around with Energia too

7uku1t3.png

Can't wait for this it looks so good, I've been working on Angara stuff recently, so I'll be sure to use it in the Angara Persei/Orion configuration!

Kvant-3 is excellent, really interesting combination.

Where is the polyus from? In truth I would like to have better details on mine, those little target pods are really fun...

8 hours ago, CardZLol said:

A bit late (Due to a small accident at home, we're all fine though :confused:) but i managed to do some more work on Soyuz.
Some of the parts should be on the github already. They're missing bulkheads but should have everything else proper
Feedback on texture tweaks, balancing, etc. is always welcome
Engines will be revamped soon, too.
HM4vg9P.png

(psst, maybe :ph34r:)

And! Those tanks are on github! Along with Blok-D!

https://github.com/Tantares/TantaresLV

If you're an absolute sick degenerate, just a complete lost cause, you'll enjoy the donut fuel tank rotated 1.5 degrees off centre - accurate to reality!

This is a mesh switch, the default is the (much less upsetting) flat donut.

rzV9r62.png

75R8N6g.png

KavDoMW.png

Edited by Beale

11 minutes ago, Beale said:

Where is the polyus from? In truth I would like to have better details on mine, those little target pods are really fun...

Would you ever consider adding the megawatt laser? Maybe just as a science experiment...

9 hours ago, Beale said:

It's from Alcentar's Buran/Energia mod. It's textures are a bit old, but I like the detail it has

9 hours ago, Beale said:

Kvant-3 is excellent, really interesting combination.

:D

10 hours ago, Beale said:

If you're an absolute sick degenerate, just a complete lost cause, you'll enjoy the donut fuel tank rotated 1.5 degrees off centre - accurate to reality!

Blok-D is looking great, same with the new Soyuz parts!

I gotta ask though, will we get a purpose built interstage for Blok-D? It's kind of hard to replicate the strange size changes it has with fairings at the moment and would absolutely be used for totally normal and definitely intended things if added

1 hour ago, KeaKaka said:

Blok-D is looking great, same with the new Soyuz parts!

I gotta ask though, will we get a purpose built interstage for Blok-D? It's kind of hard to replicate the strange size changes it has with fairings at the moment and would absolutely be used for totally normal and definitely intended things if added

Indeed , currently working on it. It tapers to a weird size (2.25m), but will have a switch to give it a regular 2.5m lip.

Same will go for the SAF fairing.

dCOnYsT.png4dq5kus.png

20 hours ago, CardZLol said:

A bit late (Due to a small accident at home, we're all fine though :confused:) but i managed to do some more work on Soyuz.
Some of the parts should be on the github already. They're missing bulkheads but should have everything else proper
Feedback on texture tweaks, balancing, etc. is always welcome
Engines will be revamped soon, too.
HM4vg9P.png

(psst, maybe :ph34r:)

Beautiful!

Any chance on seeing stuff for Soyuz 2.1V, or is that still wip?

3 hours ago, Blufor878 said:

Beautiful!

Any chance on seeing stuff for Soyuz 2.1V, or is that still wip?

The taper adapter for 2.1V is already there. Core stage and more specialized parts will come after soyuz is ready.

41 minutes ago, septemberWaves said:

Why was the Blok D tank tilted, anyway? It seems like a uniquely bizarre decision, so there must have been some engineering reason behind it.

The doughnut was tilted to stop fuel pooling on any sides, the engine feed pipe was attached to the lower end of the dome.

5 hours ago, CardZLol said:

The doughnut was tilted to stop fuel pooling on any sides, the engine feed pipe was attached to the lower end of the dome.

I had a suspicion it may have been something like that. Thanks for confirming it.

Interstage is almost ready. Just have to work on the shroud (It'll be a bit different to how the current engine is done. I hope it'll make sense) and i should be able to get it ingame in a few days
Danny DeVito for scale

cqMRCbJ.png

4 hours ago, AdrianDogmeat said:

PALUWTl.png

A classic!

12 minutes ago, CardZLol said:

Interstage is almost ready. Just have to work on the shroud (It'll be a bit different to how the current engine is done. I hope it'll make sense) and i should be able to get it ingame in a few days
Danny DeVito for scale

cqMRCbJ.png

It's true too, the cutout was made exactly to his real height!

Blok D interstage

hpvY3hq.png

W3pjnzl.png

1 hour ago, Beale said:

Interstage, it has the switch to 2.5m at the top so you can use it everywhere.

DtncwtI.png8gfDMfD.pngS3hzAxQ.png

Oh this is gonna be so perfect for Angara Persei!

Anyway, all these updates has kept me playing with Tantares even more, dug out and modernised my old Buran craft, even found my nifty docking module which extends!

jbWw4aJ.png

4mdKiE1.png

PdU2dXN.png

3 hours ago, CardZLol said:

Danny DeVito for scale

cqMRCbJ.png

Along with the revamp to the Soyuz rocket, might we also see a revamp of the Vostok Blok-E upper stage?

It's painfully outdated compared to the rest of the current part set

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

Along with the revamp to the Soyuz rocket, might we also see a revamp of the Vostok Blok-E upper stage?

It's painfully outdated compared to the rest of the current part set

I did a little sleuthing, and it's (I believe) the oldest parts in all of the mods.

I may be interested in sprucing it up, though CardZ has first dibs if he is inclined, we'll talk about it.
The Vostok in general is a sizing nightmare, unique because it so tightly integrates with the upper stage, and as it winds up at 1.44m ingame if you take the scaling flat. You will certainly end up with a few weird parts. But that's a problem after I release the Proton (maybe, idk what I'll do next).

The Blok-E of course matches Card's new soyuz upper stage diameter 1.625m in game. The capsule would probably end up about 1.5m

vostokplan.jpg

Edited by Beale

7 hours ago, Beale said:

and as it winds up at 1.44m ingame if you take the scaling flat. You will certainly end up with a few weird parts.

I'll give my two cents, I don't think odd scaling is the craziest deal. Tweakscale is quite a widespread and easy to use mod, and I hazard that most modded players use it, so if they really wanted to use a part with odd scaling, they could easily integrate it. Also, I think that size compromises can often lead to snowballing via related parts and cause a lot of stuff to fall out of scale. Ofc I'm not saying completely abandon the set KSP sizes, as they're what makes a lot of compatability between mods and part sets possible, but I defiently think being a bit more fluid/open to new sizes (like CardZ has done with the 1.625m soyuz) is a good thing. Just my opinion tho

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, AdrianDogmeat said:

Blok-D Avionics?

Yes!

1 hour ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

I'll give my two cents, I don't think odd scaling is the craziest deal. Tweakscale is quite a widespread and easy to use mod, and I hazard that most modded players use it, so if they really wanted to use a part with odd scaling, they could easily integrate it. Also, I think that size compromises can often lead to snowballing via related parts and cause a lot of stuff to fall out of scale. Ofc I'm not saying completely abandon the set KSP sizes, as they're what makes a lot of compatability between mods and part sets possible, but I defiently think being a bit more fluid/open to new sizes (like CardZ has done with the 1.625m soyuz) is a good thing. Just my opinion tho

Generally yeah we will be loose with sizes where need to be, the main goal is to stay in units of 0.125m, rounding to the nearest, so that there's at least some in keeping - after measuring it out a bit, the Vostok would be 1.5m

d64Smw0.png

Spoiler

It works until you get under 1, but then there's some weirder things.

szneVuW.png

Edited by Beale

1 hour ago, Beale said:

Yes!

Generally yeah we will be loose with sizes where need to be, the main goal is to stay in units of 0.125m, rounding to the nearest, so that there's at least some in keeping - after measuring it out a bit, the Vostok would be 1.5m

d64Smw0.png

Reveal hidden contents

It works until you get under 1, but then there's some weirder things.

szneVuW.png

Yeah I think that works REALLY well, keeps the ability to use stuff together whilst allowing proper scales to work, Sweet!