[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [16.1][28.05.2024][{Proton Revamp]

Beale

Posted (edited)

[snip]

Woahhh easy there. It's hard to express emotion through text, especially for non-English speakers, maybe there's a language barrier?

Edited by Vanamonde

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SerbskaNeko said:

Explain to me like a child, I don’t even understand the basics of programming. I can only work in Photoshop, paint.net and sketchup

Okay, there are a few components to IVAs, and a lot of frustrations:

1. The interior mesh.
    1. Blender
    2. Usually this is made from the external mesh inverted, with some chops and cuts.
  2. The interior texture.
    1. Photoshop.
  3. The unity MU
    1. Unity
    2. This holds things like where the kerbals sit, where you can click on windows, etc.
  4. The prop configuration.
    1. Unity
    2. This is where you go in and place the props for the IVA in Unity.

Unfortunately in 2024, props have been broken for a while (there's a way to fix this, but it's a bit of a headache and I haven't been doing a lot of IVA work), but they appear without texture.
So, for example when I decorate the pod, I can't even see if the navball is the correct way, etc:

yiSlWm9.png

You also have to work an inverted upside down 90 degrees in Unity, which makes everything a bit of a pain too:

2HfX0qd.png

Finally, what do you do in the IVA - and why is it a dealbreaker to not use the mod? I understand for capsules, but for random space station parts it's a little low priority. Maybe just go in and take a screenshot through the window occasionally?
If you can help me to understand, it's useful, but nobody has ever answered this question to me.

I hope this helps.

What a silly thing

nhkvNXp.png

FPZDGaC.png

hm7DrUT.png

Mo81gWj.png

Thanks to some help from @CardZLol, should have a much closer frame for the LK. with a taper.

Won't really be any different gameplay wise, just looks cool.

dTUYMHJ.png

Edited by Beale

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Beale said:

Okay, there are a few components to IVAs, and a lot of frustrations:

1. The interior mesh.
    1. Blender
    2. Usually this is made from the external mesh inverted, with some chops and cuts.
  2. The interior texture.
    1. Photoshop.
  3. The unity MU
    1. Unity
    2. This holds things like where the kerbals sit, where you can click on windows, etc.
  4. The prop configuration.
    1. Unity
    2. This is where you go in and place the props for the IVA in Unity.

Unfortunately in 2024, props have been broken for a while (there's a way to fix this, but it's a bit of a headache and I haven't been doing a lot of IVA work), but they appear without texture.
So, for example when I decorate the pod, I can't even see if the navball is the correct way, etc:

yiSlWm9.png

You also have to work an inverted upside down 90 degrees in Unity, which makes everything a bit of a pain too:

2HfX0qd.png

Finally, what do you do in the IVA - and why is it a dealbreaker to not use the mod? I understand for capsules, but for random space station parts it's a little low priority. Maybe just go in and take a screenshot through the window occasionally?
If you can help me to understand, it's useful, but nobody has ever answered this question to me.

I hope this helps.

I'm sorry if my behavior seems incorrect to you. It's just that I don't speak English, google translate speaks and translates for me. I don't demand anything. I'm just trying to figure out how to improve the mod by the means available to me. I use the FreeIva mod, and that's why the interior space is important to me. Do I need to use the UNITY program? I can transfer the file from Sketchup to the Blender and back, it's not difficult. And as for the interior, everything is fine at Soyuz, but only Kerbals and the hatch are visible at the stations. And everything else around is black. Thank you very much for the answers

Edited by SerbskaNeko

I'm sorry if my behavior seems incorrect to you. It's just that I don't speak English, google translate speaks and translates for me. I don't demand anything. I'm just trying to figure out how to improve the mod by the means available to me. I use the FreeIva mod, and that's why the interior space is important to me. Do I need to use the UNITY program? I can transfer the file from Sketchup to the Blender and back, it's not difficult. And as for the interior, everything is fine at Soyuz, but only Kerbals and the hatch are visible at the stations. And everything else around is black. Thank you very much for the answers

On 6/2/2024 at 8:59 AM, GoldForest said:

I miss his old mods, especially his Klipper one from back in the day that and KOSMOS use to be the main Soviet/Russian spaceparts until the great Tantares came along!

23 hours ago, SerbskaNeko said:

Unfortunately unity is 100% required for IVAs as far as I know (this is not true for parts).

I think it would be very difficult to make IVAs from nothing, so I would recommend you maybe make some basic parts first and get a feel for it, many here in the forum will help I'm sure.

pSgb78v.png

0ACAnuF.png

4 hours ago, Beale said:

Unfortunately unity is 100% required for IVAs as far as I know (this is not true for parts).

Я думаю, что было бы очень сложно сделать IVA из ничего, поэтому я бы порекомендовал вам сначала сделать некоторые базовые детали и почувствовать это, я уверен, что многие здесь на форуме помогут.

pSgb78v.png

0ACANuF.png

I'll probably experiment with ready-made parts from other mods to understand what and why. In the meantime, the schedule allows me to tighten up the theory. When I have a vacation I'll do this.

5 hours ago, Beale said:

pSgb78v.png

0ACAnuF.png

Disgusting abomination, I love it :D

I have to ask though, will we get the LK containment cell fairing/LOK adapter that goes inside the main fairing?

graf-1.jpgn_1.jpg

9 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

Disgusting abomination, I love it :D

I have to ask though, will we get the LK containment cell fairing/LOK adapter that goes inside the main fairing?

graf-1.jpgn_1.jpg

Would be nice to have that yeah

Tq1GrnH.png

TM8iRf1.png

Thank you. I quickly figured out blender and installed a plugin that imports mu models, and made mir cabin models in skethup, it was easy.

Probably there will be difficulties further in the process, there is some kind of catch here. and I left the node for five docking ports untouched, I just added a texture, there shouldn’t be anything special there

I'm not sure if anyone has asked this but what are the plans for the Soyuz launch escape shroud? Is it going to remain a regular fairing part, be replaced with an SAF, have normal dedicated parts, etc?

3 hours ago, Zyfle said:

I'm not sure if anyone has asked this but what are the plans for the Soyuz launch escape shroud? Is it going to remain a regular fairing part, be replaced with an SAF, have normal dedicated parts, etc?

I think we've tossed around ideas, but nothing concrete yet. It's a very distinct fairing and would be nice, but SAF fairings are always a pain in the ass to at least some small degree.

RD-858 and RD-859 - Some gameplay thing will be fun here. Perhaps a mode switch for higher thrust, lower ISP in emergencies.

DQJYYg7.png

dHUM8iS.png

19 minutes ago, Beale said:

I think we've tossed around ideas, but nothing concrete yet. It's a very distinct fairing and would be nice, but SAF fairings are always a pain in the ass to at least some small degree.

Imo this is one of those situations where a fixed fairing part makes sense, like for the Falcon fairings in Tundra. Maybe it comes in 3 parts, the 2 sides of the fairing, and the LAS on top, then like an irl launch you can stage the LAS, then the fairings after (Terrible drawings to illustrate my point)

bWf91qV.png

If you wanted to go even more detailed (And have shared functionality with the N1) you could have it in 5 parts, the LAS, the upper 2 sides and the lower 2 sides. As you know, in a soyuz Abort, the top half of the fairing seperates, and the DM seperates from the service module.
nIV6Y6A.png
It works with the N1, as I believe the LOK has the top parts and LAS, but the bottom fairing parts it doesn't have, as that's where the large N-1 fairing attaches.
9egATU7.png
But this might be a bit complex, so maybe not the 5 part one

But either way, I think a fixed part fairing would work perfect here, it would even allow you to attach stuff like the grifins if you guys don't add them as part of it, and it would also allow you to include asymmetries such as the little pokey out bit for the periscopepX2qswH.png

I agree with the fixed part approach for the LES shroud. The advantage of a SAF fairing is that you can get a good amount of detail for the general-purpose payload fairing associated with a particular rocket or group of rockets without losing its generalized utility for a wide variety of payloads, but the Soyuz spacecraft doesn't really need a general-purpose fairing because the entire point of the launch escape shroud is that it is specialized. The Soyuz rocket already has its own fairing for payloads other than the Soyuz spacecraft, so there's no reason to try to make a more general-purpose fairing for such a specialized purpose as this.

2 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

I agree with the fixed part approach for the LES shroud.

38 minutes ago, BLUAV8R said:

I too throw my vote in for dedicated soyuz fairing (with grid-fin connection capability). 

H8d0gKR.png

13 hours ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

Imo this is one of those situations where a fixed fairing part makes sense, like for the Falcon fairings in Tundra. Maybe it comes in 3 parts, the 2 sides of the fairing, and the LAS on top, then like an irl launch you can stage the LAS, then the fairings after (Terrible drawings to illustrate my point)

bWf91qV.png

If you wanted to go even more detailed (And have shared functionality with the N1) you could have it in 5 parts, the LAS, the upper 2 sides and the lower 2 sides. As you know, in a soyuz Abort, the top half of the fairing seperates, and the DM seperates from the service module.
nIV6Y6A.png
It works with the N1, as I believe the LOK has the top parts and LAS, but the bottom fairing parts it doesn't have, as that's where the large N-1 fairing attaches.
9egATU7.png
But this might be a bit complex, so maybe not the 5 part one

But either way, I think a fixed part fairing would work perfect here, it would even allow you to attach stuff like the grifins if you guys don't add them as part of it, and it would also allow you to include asymmetries such as the little pokey out bit for the periscopepX2qswH.png

Agree completely, this is the way to go IMO.

9 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

I agree with the fixed part approach for the LES shroud. The advantage of a SAF fairing is that you can get a good amount of detail for the general-purpose payload fairing associated with a particular rocket or group of rockets without losing its generalized utility for a wide variety of payloads, but the Soyuz spacecraft doesn't really need a general-purpose fairing because the entire point of the launch escape shroud is that it is specialized. The Soyuz rocket already has its own fairing for payloads other than the Soyuz spacecraft, so there's no reason to try to make a more general-purpose fairing for such a specialized purpose as this.

Yeah imo you hit the nail on the head here

Like if you wanna fly your own stuff on Soyuz, great, thats where an SAF like the progress one comes in, it's perfect for that
But for flying the spacecraft itself, it's much better suited to a bespoke fairing, for that and that only, which has real functionality and adds to the enjoyment of the mod!