[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

1 hour ago, MorePortal said:

I mean scatterer lens (in future update)

There really isn't much else to apply a flare to but.... There is a trick to simulate a dirty lens wich would give you a more realistic feal for videos. GEMFX, I have used it in a couple of my YouTube videos. But it hasn't been playing nice with 1.1.3 for some reason. Work great on 1.0.5 though.

Shameless example of what I mean.

Only issue with using GEMFX is it makes everything fuzzy. So menus are nearly unreadable. So it's honestly only good for videos.

4 hours ago, MorePortal said:

Can you make config where we can set color for lens flares?

I will, for now you can photoshop the flare to the color you want.

10 hours ago, Estebanium said:

I installed Scatterer with forced DX11. I use RSS in addition. I noticed a small blue line at the coastline and if I launch a rocket, the atmosphere looks like it would bounce up and down. Is this normal?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=733572257

Oh and is it normal that the planet in the start screen looks like in vanilla? There is no cool effect on it..

Read the thread.

1 minute ago, MorePortal said:

@blackrack, will I be able to make one lens flare red, and other lens flare blue?

In the current way it's implemented (not released yet) you can have different lens flares so nothing stopping you from changing the colors with photoshop. I'll try to remember to add a color setting though to make the whole thing easier.

2 hours ago, Berlin said:

@HereComesTheBoom you are using this tool? are you putting the correct files into your scatterer config for laythe?

Yeah that's the tool I'm using. After I changed the RGB for Laythe in-game, I clicked the save atmosphere button on the config tool's window, so I assumed that worked. I did the same exact thing for Jool and didn't have any issues with the edges being darkish green like the old RGB, only when I changed Laythe's scatterer RGB is when I noticed the tint of the old RGB around the edges. What do you man by correct files? Was I supposed to change the config in the actual config folder?

1 hour ago, HereComesTheBoom said:

Yeah that's the tool I'm using. After I changed the RGB for Laythe in-game, I clicked the save atmosphere button on the config tool's window, so I assumed that worked. I did the same exact thing for Jool and didn't have any issues with the edges being darkish green like the old RGB, only when I changed Laythe's scatterer RGB is when I noticed the tint of the old RGB around the edges. What do you man by correct files? Was I supposed to change the config in the actual config folder?

No.  Just saving the config doesn't change what you have in your scatterer cfg.  You need to replace laythe Proland folder with the ones the config tool creates

Edited by Berlin

Hey @blackrack, I just want to congratulate you and say thanks for what you've done.

I took a screenshot picture of Laythe Superior Lake Superior today, just because I felt I had to show this to you. Here it is:

gCm5uSfh.jpg

Honestly, I was impressed not so much by the immensity of the lake (I don't get to see a "real" horizon where I live) but more by how closely it resembles the water in Scatterer. No other visual mod I've seen has so perfectly portrayed it's real-world counterpart as those waves. All of them look great, but there's something about each one that makes it not quite "real". Those waves, though, the waves you made... they feel real. And that's something I think you should be really proud of. Thanks for this spectacular mod that makes the game feel orders of magnitude more awesome! You are awesome for this! You could charge money for this kind of quality in other places, and the fact that you do it for free deserves great praise. Thank you!

5 hours ago, Berlin said:

No.  Just saving the config doesn't change what you have in your scatterer cfg.  You need to replace laythe Proland folder with the ones the config tool creates

Gotchya, I'll do that and see if that gets rid of the greenish tint around laythe's edges. Thanks for all the help!

Just displaying the terrain normals and I already feel like the terrain geometry has more detail than the stock shaders show:

zkfVzPE.jpg

This image may not look like much but I will be tinkering and experimenting with terrain shading soon. I will not be touching the geometry of the terrain, but I believe it's possible to get some kind of procedural shading going and completely avoid using a bunch of low detail textures, as well as improving the terrain shading in general. We'll see how it goes.

22 hours ago, cubinator said:

Hey @blackrack, I just want to congratulate you and say thanks for what you've done.

I took a screenshot picture of Laythe Superior Lake Superior today, just because I felt I had to show this to you. Here it is:

gCm5uSfh.jpg

Honestly, I was impressed not so much by the immensity of the lake (I don't get to see a "real" horizon where I live) but more by how closely it resembles the water in Scatterer. No other visual mod I've seen has so perfectly portrayed it's real-world counterpart as those waves. All of them look great, but there's something about each one that makes it not quite "real". Those waves, though, the waves you made... they feel real. And that's something I think you should be really proud of. Thanks for this spectacular mod that makes the game feel orders of magnitude more awesome! You are awesome for this! You could charge money for this kind of quality in other places, and the fact that you do it for free deserves great praise. Thank you!

Thank you. It does look very realistic indeed, if someone replaced the top part of that image with the sky from a KSP screenshot, no one will know the difference.

The water and the atmospheric scattering come from Proland, a research prototype on rendering planets in real-time. If there is anyone you need to thank, it's the researchers that worked on it for years. I could never come up with something like this on my own.

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

The water and the atmospheric scattering come from Proland, a research prototype on rendering planets in real-time. If there is anyone you need to thank, it's the researchers that worked on it for years. I could never come up with something like this on my own.

Well, thanks anyways for incorporating it into KSP. Scatterer is my favorite visual mod because it does such a great job.

I'm having a problem with the ocean clipping in to the terrain shown here. 

Spoiler

Even though I've read in the change log that this has been fixed in v0.0244 "-Issue where ocean flickers and bobs around with camera movements appears to be fixed"

Edited by Tail_TL

Hey @blackrack 

(its Berlin) I changed my name... Anyway I already posted this in the Kopernicus thread but I figured I should post this here as well to get more than 2 brains picking at it. Looks like something is causing the color and normal map to not load. Perhaps it's Kopernicus and scatterer trying to call on the same textures? 

I have determined this is a conflict between Scatterer and Kopernicus.
the logs below are with SVT, Kopernicus, and Scatterer installed only

You can replicate the bug by following these steps:

1. Put a vessel into orbit.
  2. Quit game.
  3. Load game and open a ship on the Launchpad
  4. Press M (go into map mode) and switch to the ship that you put into orbit earlier
  5. set your gaze to Kerbin and behold the snowball

https://www.dropbox.com/s/itkzz3ffgvnxi67/output_log.txt?dl=0

don't know if you need this, but here is the kopernicus logs
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wui76ny6dr3gg7s/Kopernicus.zip?dl=0

34EpIqN.png

This issue only happens when scatterer is installed alongside Kopernicus.

remove scatterer and the issue is gone.

Edited by Galileo

5 hours ago, Galileo said:

Hey @blackrack 

(its Berlin) I changed my name... Anyway I already posted this in the Kopernicus thread but I figured I should post this here as well to get more than 2 brains picking at it. Looks like something is causing the color and normal map to not load. Perhaps it's Kopernicus and scatterer trying to call on the same textures? 

I have determined this is a conflict between Scatterer and Kopernicus.
the logs below are with SVT, Kopernicus, and Scatterer installed only

You can replicate the bug by following these steps:

1. Put a vessel into orbit.
  2. Quit game.
  3. Load game and open a ship on the Launchpad
  4. Press M (go into map mode) and switch to the ship that you put into orbit earlier
  5. set your gaze to Kerbin and behold the snowball

https://www.dropbox.com/s/itkzz3ffgvnxi67/output_log.txt?dl=0

don't know if you need this, but here is the kopernicus logs
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wui76ny6dr3gg7s/Kopernicus.zip?dl=0

34EpIqN.png

This issue only happens when scatterer is installed alongside Kopernicus.

remove scatterer and the issue is gone.

That is... kinda beautiful actually. Anyway, does it happen with 0.0246 and 0.0245?

3 hours ago, blackrack said:

That is... kinda beautiful actually. Anyway, does it happen with 0.0246 and 0.0245?

let me check.. and yes it is a beautiful bug lol

Edit:    i can confirm it happens in 0.0245 and 0.0246

Edited by Galileo

19 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

I've witnessed this myself at the main menu. It was pretty and I thought it was a compatibility issue but didn't put much thought into it.

i didnt pay it any mind either because it didnt affect anything in game. It still doesnt affect anything in my game because It takes a very particular way of switching vessels for it to happen, which i dont do. I have only seen a few complaints because of it and i basically blew them off because i couldnt replicate it until recently.

Edited by Galileo

Request, can you make flare ghosts decrease in size(and intensity?) with distance from star.  Like if distance more then 2-3AU or something non linear maybe,  because flare is scales and ghosts end up much bigger(and bunched on top of star in map view)

6 hours ago, Pol said:

Request, can you make flare ghosts decrease in size(and intensity?) with distance from star.  Like if distance more then 2-3AU or something non linear maybe,  because flare is scales and ghosts end up much bigger(and bunched on top of star in map view)

It's planned.

On 7/31/2016 at 6:00 PM, TheKurgan said:

Beautiful evening at Cape Canaveral, little too choppy to go out in a small boat, but the sea looks so beautiful. 

Funny story.. The city texture included in SSRSS is my home town XD

Looks like SSRSS anyways 

Thank you @blackrack.  I'm about to release yet another mod containing submarines and one of the things I was waiting for comments on was the fact that Nathan Kell screwed with the underwater scenery during the 'buoyancy' debacle to the point that after dark, you could see stars through the ocean floor.  Your mod fixed that beautifully. I now know exactly where to direct those that have my same complaint.

One request.  Darkness at depth.  If you're a kilometer below the surface of the ocean, daylight shouldn't be visible.  Prior to the 'buoyancy fix' we had a solution. A large dome shaped object (5km wide) that rode above the vessel and it's transparency and color changed the deeper you went. 

Haven't tried that trick lately so not sure if that would still work.  I'm sure you'd have a much more elegant solution.

Edited by Fengist