[1.4.X] Taerobee - Stockalike X-1 and More [27/01/2017]

Beale

I think we'd have figured out by now if KSP had problems with them. Since RO/RP-0 has been using 0.3m (1ft) and smaller parts for...quite some time.

Beale, looking good! I obviously prefer the scaling metric that allows correct in-aspect scaling :)

Ah, ok. I remembered there being some sort of issue with small parts. I recall running into issues with joints stretching on small parts but I suppose that is neither here nor there. :)

Anyways, the WAC parts look very cool. I'm curious what scale you'll settle on, Beale. I might try my Explorer I parts at your finalized scale to make it compatible.

I really hate to ask this, but does anyone have a well-balanced build of the X-1 available as a craft file? I build aeroplanes about as well as a stonemason builds boats. And I fly them even worse. But I would love to give the X-1 a decent shot.

I think we'd have figured out by now if KSP had problems with them. Since RO/RP-0 has been using 0.3m (1ft) and smaller parts for...quite some time.

Beale, looking good! I obviously prefer the scaling metric that allows correct in-aspect scaling :)

Ah, ok. I remembered there being some sort of issue with small parts. I recall running into issues with joints stretching on small parts but I suppose that is neither here nor there. :)

Anyways, the WAC parts look very cool. I'm curious what scale you'll settle on, Beale. I might try my Explorer I parts at your finalized scale to make it compatible.

Thanks! :)

I've settled on the size 0.125m.

It doesn't seem to have any physics bug, but when rolling it exhibits some strange auto-correcting behavior, is this spin-stabilisation?

0d391c117b.jpg

bf1bb18696.jpg

90cd3d2455.jpg

I really hate to ask this, but does anyone have a well-balanced build of the X-1 available as a craft file? I build aeroplanes about as well as a stonemason builds boats. And I fly them even worse. But I would love to give the X-1 a decent shot.

There's one a few pages back :)

Edited by Beale

Thanks! :)

I've settled on the size 0.125m.

It doesn't seem to have any physics bug, but when rolling it exhibits some strange auto-correcting behavior, is this spin-stabilisation?

http://puu.sh/kx4oA/0d391c117b.jpg

http://puu.sh/kx4Jl/bf1bb18696.jpg

http://puu.sh/kx4pm/90cd3d2455.jpg

Holy Crap!! I mean Bread! This is looking really good Beale. Are you planning on making fins for the WAC? If not no worries, but it looks great! I'm assuming the nosecone is a probe core, and I love the small battery, cant wait to make miniature satellites out of these parts. I hope you feel confident in releasing WAC parts soon. I could use tweakscale for this but I prefer not to, my only selfish request would be for an extremly tiny radial decoupler so i could have WAC boosters on the WAC itself to make OTRAG like rockets. I wont be a PersistentLemon though (haha) so I'll be in heaven just getting the WAC parts you've already made. May the Gods of Fire and Rocketry Bless you, you steely-eyed missile man!

This is all amazing! Also, have you considered doing the IVA like MasseFlieger's AKI Modified Mk1 IVA, with the old-style steam gauges provided by ASET Avionics?

Thanks!

Those props would be very appropriate, I will take a look :)

Performing orbital correction burn! next stop... The space near on topic! Please have your goo pods ready...

http://imgur.com/a/oKT0h

Just a few shots of me goofing around being flash gordon with the x1 cockpit ;)

Hehe, we are two of the same mind.

bb99182105.jpg

a5cd7821db.jpg

06a096f0fe.jpg

Accusations and personal attacks going back as much as 2 weeks have been deleted or edited from this thread. Seriously, guys. Just report things you believe are problems and let us moderators deal with it, so that you don't have to read through 2 weeks' of nonsense like this.

Cant wait to try out that WAC, looks great in the preview pic next to the Kerbal on the launchpad.

Also, the X-1 cockpit has found some cross-use as a Klipper cockpit substitute. :)

I've been using it as a early reconnaissance/science plane

Cant wait to try out that WAC, looks great in the preview pic next to the Kerbal on the launchpad.

Also, the X-1 cockpit has found some cross-use as a Klipper cockpit substitute. :)

#bring the WAC.

#here comes the boom

Thanks!

The WAC is nearly done, but needs fins.

Would it be easiest if the fins were integrated directly into the WAC engine? Unless they are overpowered I don't see myself using the fins on much else than the WAC. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm not certain if the stock game contends with that well vis a viz aerodynamics; I imagine FAR would (as it seems to work miracles), but i'm not sure of stock.

Either way, WOO WAC! Looking forward to the new toys, they look awesome.

An Explorer 1 replica comes to mind
My Explorer parts are sized to .125m to be compatible with WAC parts. :3

Very nice :)

Would it be easiest if the fins were integrated directly into the WAC engine? Unless they are overpowered I don't see myself using the fins on much else than the WAC. Maybe I'm wrong.
I'm not certain if the stock game contends with that well vis a viz aerodynamics; I imagine FAR would (as it seems to work miracles), but i'm not sure of stock.

Either way, WOO WAC! Looking forward to the new toys, they look awesome.

OTmikhail, unless you don't want the fins to count as aero surfaces, welding is a bad idea.

EDIT: komodo, FAR will apply drag properly but not lift, i.e. the same downside as stock.

Yep, integrated fins do not play well with the aerodynamic engine (As much as they are basically purely cosmetic). I had experience with this on the old V2 parts (with integrated fins). It led to strange things like the rocket wanting to fall engine-first.

I will have to take a little more time with the WAC, very busy lately, but is nice to hear positive responses, thanks!

Could i possibly suggest a A-10? It was basically the space shuttle... In the 1930s. I think von Braun said that if you did a Delta IV Heavy thing it could send a man around the moon.

Also, a couple of the early U.S. missiles would be nice, like Snark and Navaho

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a picture: That tiny upper stage is a flyback V-23S8IsRd.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.