[1.4.X] Taerobee - Stockalike X-1 and More [27/01/2017]

Beale

Issue's probably the weight difference. Try adding the decoupler functionality to one of the other parts and don't have a separate decoupler. That, or set the decoupler to PhysicsSignificance = 1 (although that can trigger weirdness; the 3.75m decoupler has it and has weirdness).

That tiny decoupler looks great.
IMHO needing to use struts (which can be done unobtrusively) is a small price to pay for such great parts.

If you end up abandoning the WAC-Corporal parts, please let me know - I'd love to adopt them in such a case (as an Explorer-1 stand in for my NASA career mod).

Edited by tjsnh

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Beale,

I apologize for the late reply, but Thank you SOOOOO much for sharing the WIP of the WAC parts. I made a little video showing off my new favorite rocket and tiny satellite. :D

Enjoy!

Edited by OTmikhail
fix link

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/5/2016 at 3:38 AM, NathanKell said:

Took the liberty of upping the version on CKAN to support 1.0.5. Hope you don't mind!

(It pulls version info from KerbalStuff normally, and you'd left that set at 1.0.4, so nobody using CKAN could grab Taerobee if they were on 1.0.5...)

Thanks! 

Taerobee 2.2 for KSP 1.0.5

Tiny update to fix some heat settings (heatConductivity).
Unfortunately I have not had an opportunity to take a second look at the WAC, so it remains absent from this release.

Enjoy! :) 

Future

A update to the X-1 parts, as I now have the new MK1 parts to work from as a style guide!
This time, hopefully including wings (And with Unity 5, eventually wheels?).

Will there be the Tiny Tim booster to go along with the WAC Corporeal? I think that is what was used on some of them to boost them up. This is what it looked like with it:

@legoclone09 That was the plan, but I doubt it now, sorry! 

Edited by Beale

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2016 at 5:39 AM, RaginCaucasian said:

Hey, great mod! You captured the stockalike feel perfectly, I think.

Is there a download mirror now that Kerbalstuff is down?

12 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@Beale spacedock works, but github means people can help. so that's good too. Either way, it'd be really, really great if this were reuploaded--it's a Recommended Mod for RP-0, for example, which means new RP-0 users won't have the correct experience if they can't install it. :]

Whoops!

I forgot about Taerobee.

I will get it onto GitHub, or try. Is there a guide somewhere? 

Thanks.

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Beale I was told to package separate releases and upload the zips. Otherwise all the extra files from git are included, etc.

30 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@Beale Cool! <3 Though yeah you need to drag your release zip into the "drag files here" area of the release page. You can edit the existing release and do that. Otherwise CKAN won't be able to pick it up (and as @CobaltWolf mentions, the 'source zip' has lots of extra stuff).

Thanks guys, fixed (hopefully).

29 minutes ago, Sequinox said:

I wouldn't say that's too far from stock. I think it's a pretty good idea.

I don't think it's necessary. It overly confuses things, requires either extra plugins for switching the contents or a tank, or having a very limited selection of tanks. Any alcohol fuels can be represented with performance alone IMO. If someone were interested in expanding the variety of stock fuels, something that simply models the differences between kerolox, hydrolox, and storable propellants would be better IMO.

2 hours ago, Sequinox said:

I wouldn't say that's too far from stock. I think it's a pretty good idea.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

I don't think it's necessary. It overly confuses things, requires either extra plugins for switching the contents or a tank, or having a very limited selection of tanks. Any alcohol fuels can be represented with performance alone IMO. If someone were interested in expanding the variety of stock fuels, something that simply models the differences between kerolox, hydrolox, and storable propellants would be better IMO.

Mmmm, I don't know now :) That idea was quite a while ago. I think like CobalWolf says: ISP is a better reflection of this, instead on an entire new resource.

14 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@Beale awesome! Looks good to me, currently poking the CKANers to update the metadata. :)

Fantastic! Many thanks :) 

• 3 weeks later...

WindowShine Support

37504842c7.png

DropBox Download: WindowShine+Taerobee v1.0

WindowShine configs for Taerobee was really simple. Luckily, Beale is super neat and tidy with his alpha-mapping. So far, the only part supported is the Bell X-1 cockpit. 

Please note, that the window illumination effect will not work when using WindowShine support for Taerobee. It's a limitation of WindowShine. Extra stuff has to be done to a part in the modeling and Unity export process to make both effects work. (See Ven's Stock Revamp for reference.)

More screens:
fc62584d66.pngc90e5b24ae.png

Hey @Avera9eJoe. Just letting you know that this exists. If you like, you can just copy my dropbox download link for use on the WindowShine front page, or re-upload the config yourself with my blessing. Thanks for making this possible to begin with. :)

1 hour ago, theonegalen said:

Wow, @curtquarquesso, that is an amazing-looking X-1! Is it just Taerobee, or are you using B9 Procedural Wings and Procedural Parts as well?

Just procedural wings. Taerobee doesn't have any wing parts presently, except for the Bumper fins. I would pester Beale about them, but I know how much he loves making plane parts, and I'd rather him focus on Tantares. Heh. The stock wings also don't really suit the Bell X-1 very well I find. 

The craft itself performs really well surprisingly with both stock and FAR aero. To get the shape and dimensions correct, I literally dragged two image planes of the Bell X-1 into KSP using my own home-brew add-on, and matched the wing size and shape as accurately as possible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.