Sigma Dimensions

Sigma88

Just now, Joco223 said:

They need to manually edited where they will be placed with every scale, i think 

That's what I was thinking. It's been done by very careful tweaking by the mod makers

9 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

@Armageddon this is what I did in SD (dev version)

link

as you can see I used the "rescale" parameter because it will be better for interplanetary comunications if antennas get rescaled that way.

I haven't got the time to check out all the mods that were requested ( scansat included ) but I have now opened a bunch of "issues" on github, if any of you is interested you can subscribe to those issues and github will notify you when I comment on them.

Admittedly, I'm still learning MM, but doesn't @PART:FOR[SigDim2] need to be $PART[*] to actually do anything? Plus, by not having a HAS[] condition you are going into every part instead of only

those you need to edit. The @MODULE would only edit those that exist, but seems inefficient to me.

I didn't realize that there were some antenna that have a Mode0OmniRange other than 0, that's why i didn't include them. All the Mode0DishRange entries

I found are all 0, so I don't think that one is needed as Mode0 appears to be the retracted mode.

I completely forgot about the ground stations.

I don't use antenna range, so did not know about the entries it made.

@DMagic The M700 has a module for ModuleOrbitalSurveyor but it only includes scantime and scibonus. Nothing about ranges in that module.

The ModuleSCANresourceScanner in the part has the multiplied ranges, according to ModuleManager.ConfigCache, but they do not show up correctly in the

part tooltip in the vab/sph.

Edited by armegeddon
fixed formating

@armegeddon ModuleOrbitalSurveyor has two extra fields: minThreshold and maxThreshold. They aren't specified in the M700 config, but they can be added. Their default values are 25000 and 1500000.

The editor tooltips are generated during initial loading (I think; I only looked into this once, a while ago), so unless there is a way for MM to get to it before that I don't think there is anything that can be done about it.

Edit:

Also, the stock ModuleOrbitalSurveyor does take the planetary size into account to some degree. So it might not be necessary to change those values.

Edited by DMagic

8 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@armegeddon ModuleOrbitalSurveyor has two extra fields: minThreshold and maxThreshold. They aren't specified in the M700 config, but they can be added. Their default values are 25000 and 1500000.

The editor tooltips are generated during initial loading (I think; I only looked into this once, a while ago), so unless there is a way for MM to get to it before that I don't think there is anything that can be done about it.

Ah, hidden values. Always a joy learning something new.  

16 minutes ago, armegeddon said:

Admittedly, I'm still learning MM, but doesn't @PART:FOR[SigDim2] need to be $PART[*] to actually do anything?

I never use $NODE so I don't know what it does, but @ means "target this node/variable if it exists"

18 minutes ago, armegeddon said:

Plus, by not having a HAS[] condition you are going into every part instead of only

those you need to edit. The @MODULE would only edit those that exist, but seems inefficient to me.

that's correct, I go into all the nodes instead of just those I need to edit, but I'm not sure this is less efficient.

if you put a :HAS[@whatever] check MM still needs to look through all the nodes to see if the HAS requirements are fulfilled. 

I don't know which would be the more time efficient option, but I highly doubt the difference would be great

21 minutes ago, armegeddon said:

I didn't realize that there were some antenna that have a Mode0OmniRange other than 0, that's why i didn't include them. All the Mode0DishRange entries

I found are all 0, so I don't think that one is needed as Mode0 appears to be the retracted mode.

you are right, 0 is the retracted/unactive mode and 1 is the extended/active mode

the fact that RT accepts a value for mode0 could allow modders to make antennas that have a limited range while unactive but a bigger range while active (I guess) so I multiply everything just in case someone wants to take advantage of that :D

@Sigma88

You have the greater modding experience, so I will accept your knowledge on what works for the MM configs. :)

Now that I think about it, I can see how an antenna could have a short range while retracted, then extend a booster dish to expand it...Gives an interesting idea for a new part; Smallish antenna with a few 10k range while retracted, then a big deployable dish for large range boost. Would need either a large power drain while deployed, or something to limit the time it can be deployed to keep balance.  Too bad I am terrible at modeling or I would try to make something.

@Sigma88

Just tried the dev version with the compatibility for antenna range and scansat:

Antennas rescale fine, but the scansat ranges don't change at all because you are grabbing the resize variable from SigmaBinary instead of SigmaDimensions

Posted an issue on the github also for it.

Also, the ModuleSCANresourceScanner should use ,* for indexing. Some parts, particularly from DMagicOrbitalScience have multiple resource scanners on them.

Edited by armegeddon

Just now, armegeddon said:

@Sigma88

Just tried the dev version with the compatibility for antenna range and scansat:

Antennas rescale fine, but the scansat ranges don't change at all because you are grabbing the resize variable from SigmaBinary instead of SigmaDimensions

Posted an issue on the github also for it.

lol that's what happens when you don't sleep enough :D

thanks for spotting it :)

@DMagic what did you mean when you said

Also, the stock ModuleOrbitalSurveyor does take the planetary size into account to some degree. So it might not be necessary to change those values.

I would guess the limits you posted (25000 and 1500000) are to be considered a fixed number to be added on top of whatever the planet's radius is.

so minthreshold on kerbin would be an orbit with SMA = 600000+25000 while on duna it would be 320000+25000

if this is correct I would need to multiply those numbers to account for the different planetary size

do SCANsat parts have a "default" value as well? or would it be set to 0 if the variable was missing from the cfg?

I have to say thank you to Sigma88 for this mod. It's really brilliant, fun and saves me a lot of time. Also it seems to work just fine with tweaking orbital parameters in Kopernicus.

I just created my own custom sized kerbol system and changed orbits of kerbins moons in five minutes. :)

32 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Look up Kerbinside. It comes with the pack ;) 

I've checked, I think it's all there, it's just spread on a very big area :D

that's not an issue I can solve, it's linked on how KK spawns stuff. I've already talked with the devs of KK, they know about this

On 15/3/2016 at 2:31 PM, Sigma88 said:

@Armageddon this is what I did in SD (dev version)

link

as you can see I used the "rescale" parameter because it will be better for interplanetary comunications if antennas get rescaled that way.

I haven't got the time to check out all the mods that were requested ( scansat included ) but I have now opened a bunch of "issues" on github, if any of you is interested you can subscribe to those issues and github will notify you when I comment on them.

Hello and Thank you for this mod !

I'm trying to use it to make a full 64k career in 1.0.5 but i'm noob in modding or other stuff.

Would you please tell me how to do to get the scansat and antenna rescale ?  Do I just need to make a file and copy/past the code ? How should I named it ? Where should I put it ?

I feel sorry to ask that because it seems obvious for the others but i'm really lost.

BTW i've tried just some simple launch with the rescaled system and everything look good for the moment.

Do you know if the custom contracts will work ? For exemple i've Mission Controller 2  installed, do you know if it will rescale the orbit needs for satellite contracts ? 

Thank you

Ps : sorry for my English it's not my native langage.

@Marsu69 the scansat rescale is not included in the released version of this mod yet. You can download the development version if you want to play with that feature.

To do that go to the first post and click on the dev.version button

A github page will open, click on the "download zip" button. Then install the mod like you would usually

5 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

@Marsu69 the scansat rescale is not included in the released version of this mod yet. You can download the development version if you want to play with that feature.

To do that go to the first post and click on the dev.version button

A github page will open, click on the "download zip" button. Then install the mod like you would usually

Thank you verry much.

I will try it as soon as possible.

Minor bug with the rescale on the KSC Launchpad :

It seems the ground is a few centimeters below the surface.

Settings are as GreenWolf said :

// Base Settings

SigmaDimensions
{
	Resize = 6.4
	Rescale = 6.4
	Atmosphere = 1.285
	dayLengthMultiplier = 1
}

Everything else looks fine :)

I love this mod :)

I got a wonderful rescale going yesterday that I've been hoping to do all week using the dev version of Dimensions. I emulated Nolnoc's 365 mod using the below settings. I also changed the landscape multiplier from 1 to 0.4. 

// Base Settings

SigmaDimensions
{
	Resize = 3.2
	Rescale = 6.4
	Atmosphere = 1.2857
	dayLengthMultiplier = 1
}

Also used a separate config file to spin down Kerbin's rotation to 24 hours:

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigDim2]:NEEDS[SigDim]
{
    @Body:HAS[#name[Kerbin]]
    {
        @PlanetDimensions[3] = 4
    }
}

Everything working fine it would appear with EVE and scatterer on the Linux version of KSP. I may throw SMURFF back into the mix since 3.2x resize is still a little much for stock parts in career mode, but run the multipliers at 0.25 instead of 0.5 as recommended for a pure 64K rescale. 

Why did I choose 3.2x? I dunno. Just seems different and I don't have access to pre-made delta-v maps. So it literally is trial and error for me. Thanks again Sigma for the wonderful mod and keep up the great work!!

12 minutes ago, thunder175 said:

I got a wonderful rescale going yesterday that I've been hoping to do all week using the dev version of Dimensions. I emulated Nolnoc's 365 mod using the below settings. I also changed the landscape multiplier from 1 to 0.4. 

// Base Settings

SigmaDimensions
{
	Resize = 3.2
	Rescale = 6.4
	Atmosphere = 1.2857
	dayLengthMultiplier = 1
}

{
    {
        @PlanetDimensions[3] = 4
    }
}

Everything working fine it would appear with EVE and scatterer on the Linux version of KSP. I may throw SMURFF back into the mix since 3.2x resize is still a little much for stock parts in career mode, but run the multipliers at 0.25 instead of 0.5 as recommended for a pure 64K rescale. 

Why did I choose 3.2x? I dunno. Just seems different and I don't have access to pre-made delta-v maps. So it literally is trial and error for me. Thanks again Sigma for the wonderful mod and keep up the great work!!

why did you change only kerbin's rotation period? If you don't mind me asking

3 hours ago, thunder175 said:

// Base Settings

SigmaDimensions
{
	Resize = 3.2
	Rescale = 6.4
	Atmosphere = 1.2857
	dayLengthMultiplier = 1
}

{
    {
        @PlanetDimensions[3] = 4
    }
}

@Sigma88

I also wanted to increase the rotation period of the planets since I felt that the rotation period of kerbin was way too fast at that scale., but I used the dayLengthMultiplier to do it.  In order to keep the ratio the same as real earth, instead of making it 24 hours, since earth has a 6,340km radius, and 6.4 multiplier makes kerbin approximately 3,840km (4,057.5km if using uncharted lands) I used a dayLengthMultiplier of 2.3333333 to give about a 14 hour Kerbin day.   (Did you know that if using the correct ratios the default Kerbin day should be only 2 hours since it is less than 1/10th the size of Earth?)

Now does anyone know how to change the timescale in the game to use the actual planet rotation period? If left at the default, it still  counts 6 hours as 1 day. If turning off Kerbin Time in the settings it makes 24 hours = 1 day.   I want 14 hours to equal 1 day, but have no clue where to change that, if it is even possible.

(Edit: I have no clue why it put Sigma88 in there and I wont let me remove it.)

Edited by armegeddon

3 hours ago, armegeddon said:

Now does anyone know how to change the timescale in the game to use the actual planet rotation period? If left at the default, it still  counts 6 hours as 1 day. If turning off Kerbin Time in the settings it makes 24 hours = 1 day.   I want 14 hours to equal 1 day, but have no clue where to change that, if it is even possible.

I don't know if that is possible, hence why I decided on 24 hour vs 6. My OCD would go nuts if I set it to 12 hour days using only a 2x multiplier but the game would count every 6 as a day by default. 

6 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

why did you change only kerbin's rotation period? If you don't mind me asking

Mostly because of the above reason. I also just felt that a planet resized that much was spinning a little too fast. Didn't feel the rest of the planets needed changing since a general 4x multiplier on all would make them all spin extremely slow.

4 hours ago, armegeddon said:

1 minute ago, thunder175 said:

I don't know if that is possible, hence why I decided on 24 hour vs 6. My OCD would go nuts if I set it to 12 hour days using only a 2x multiplier but the game would count every 6 as a day by default. 

No it's not possible, at least not with just kopernicus or .cfg files in general.

it would be a nice idea for a mod (changing the definitions of "day" and "year" on the clock)