Serial Space Station: Add your own module! (Closed - check out the new Community Space Station thread instead!)

19 minutes ago, Jetski said:

I just detached and deorbited @linuxgurugamer's module as it counted as 18 parts to the game engine (I put a clean version of the module back up).

Oh.  sorry about that, wasn't thinking.  I was having some problems with the struts and that solved it, but didn't think about the part issue..

But you put it on the wrong docking port.  I avoided the asteroid because it was too wobbly.

thanks for fixing it, I would have been willing to redo the mission if needed.

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Oh.  sorry about that, wasn't thinking.  I was having some problems with the struts and that solved it, but didn't think about the part issue..

But you put it on the wrong docking port.  I avoided the asteroid because it was too wobbly.

thanks for fixing it, I would have been willing to redo the mission if needed.

That's where it was on the save I had...maybe I got an interim savegame or something.  Ah well, it's working now.  If things get too wobbly we'll just move stuff around and ditch the asteroid.

Just now, Jetski said:

That's where it was on the save I had...maybe I got an interim savegame or something.  Ah well, it's working now.  If things get too wobbly we'll just move stuff around and ditch the asteroid.

Based on what you described, it really did have 18 parts there.  

8 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Based on what you described, it really did have 18 parts there.  

Cool, no worries, station is good to go at the moment. Cleared for next launch, whoever that may be.

Edit: that's funny @linuxgurugamer, in your screenshot I can clearly see you attached it differently and didn't have all those struts, but it was different in the savegame.  Weird.  Bad save or something.  Nothing wrong with the one I can see in your picture :)

Also, just to see if there's any interest, what if we used the station to assemble a ship that could fly to say...Jool?  Same rules for assembly, launch and part count, maybe allow KIS/KAS attachment (but no mod parts) if anyone wants to cut down on the docking ports?  Suggestions welcome

(going to bed now, so will check back in the AM)

Edited by Jetski

27 minutes ago, Jetski said:

Um I may have moved it with some custom tugs that I brought up with my cupola because I wanted my modules to be together. Sorry probably should have mentioned that:blush:

1 hour ago, Jetski said:

Also, just to see if there's any interest, what if we used the station to assemble a ship that could fly to say...Jool?  Same rules for assembly, launch and part count, maybe allow KIS/KAS attachment (but no mod parts) if anyone wants to cut down on the docking ports?  Suggestions welcome

I would do that! Maybe if the community make a ship that's able to go to Duna, people could fly different parts of the mission (like 1 person does the transfer, other person does the landing etc...)

Edited by Dfthu

@Jetski I think people can handle a station up to 300 parts even on old computers. 4 FPS is not that big of a deal for motivated players. So, lets not shed the weight yet. At some point the station may require people to have KJR installed to approach and dock safely without phantom forces causing it to dance. With 1.1 station may handle up to 1000 parts safely.

Also there's an unspoken rule to keep stations stable: Keep the active reaction wheels only close to the center of mass of the station, deactivate the reaction wheels on all the docked tugs and capsules.

The CoM is very easy to find, it is in the center of the screen by default. Zooming in as close as possible gives the idea of its precise location.

Pushing @Angel-125, @nli2work, @MainSailor, @NecroBones, come guys join us in station assembly. I've seen you modding the hell out of KSP but I hardly ever saw you play. :3

Latest savegame link in the OP.

Edited by Enceos

3 hours ago, Enceos said:

Pushing @Angel-125, @nli2work, @MainSailor, @NecroBones, come guys join us in station assembly. I've seen you modding the hell out of KSP but I hardly ever saw you play. :3

Latest savegame link in the OP.

I'm in. It will be at least Friday before I will get to play though. The range is clear before then. I will have to make sure my save is totally stock :D

3 hours ago, Enceos said:

The CoM is very easy to find, it is in the center of the screen by default. Zooming in as close as possible gives the idea of its precise location.

Can you still target the center of mass of the asteroid once parts have been attached to it? It's been a while since I've played any ARM or asteroid missions.

35 minutes ago, MainSailor said:

I'm in. It will be at least Friday before I will get to play though. The range is clear before then. I will have to make sure my save is totally stock :D

Can you still target the center of mass of the asteroid once parts have been attached to it? It's been a while since I've played any ARM or asteroid missions.

Nope, you cant do it. I tried when I docked my part and it didn't work.

12 hours ago, Jetski said:

You can always re-download the save and it's fresh.  Try downloading direct from the OP, I just tested it and it's usable on my laptop, which is a potato.  It's possible we are reaching critical mass on the station - part count is into the 80s now.  When it gets unwieldy, I'll encourage missions to take bits of the station away (perhaps fly part of the station to the Mun?), but lets see if we can pile a few more modules on :)

Also, I need to mention struts here.  If you connect struts to your module, please make sure the struts are running FROM your ship TO your module, otherwise when you detach the little base piece stays with the station and counts as a part.  I just detached and deorbited @linuxgurugamer's module as it counted as 18 parts to the game engine (I put a clean version of the module back up).  This is a good practice for your own ships as well, if the struts run from boosters to your main stage, you shed the mass and parts when you stage, otherwise it stays with you for the duration.  As of 1.05 struts have mass and physics, so will slow the game down like any other part. I've updated the OP with this info.

Also, I made up a badge (with my mad Paint skills) and posted it on the OP!

Ok, is there a Clamp-O-Tron Sr. available?

I'll probably launch this afternoon (Mountain Time Zone), but I need a Clamp-O-Tron Sr. (The lab doesn't have a probe core, and the docking port not attached to the decoupler which is attached to the probe core on the upper stage (which will perform docking) is a Clamp-O-Tron Sr.

Ooh, a de-assembly and repurposing for interplanetary mission! Cool! I can do the artificial gravity module (if IR is okay, I can do it easily, if not, there are work-arounds...)

I haven't played much for real since 0.9; can barely get into orbit now in 1.0.5 :D Definitely watching this thread, if I get some time this weeknd I'll try adding something

Edited by nli2work

@KAL 9000 As far as I can tell by the latest station screenshot there are 2 senior docking ports and around 5 medium free.

pUduOye.png

I wonder when Jetski decides to increase the allowed part count per single module, cause it's getting hard to make creative modules with each subsequent launch. But for now the limit is 5 parts + 2 docking ports.

Edited by Enceos

1 hour ago, Enceos said:

@KAL 9000 As far as I can tell by the latest station screenshot there are 2 senior docking ports and around 5 medium free.

pUduOye.png

I wonder when Jetski decides to increase the allowed part count per single module, cause it's getting hard to make creative modules with each subsequent launch. But for now the limit is 5 parts + 2 docking ports.

I'm keeping the part count for now, if you want something special built, find someone to cooperate and launch the other half :)

3 hours ago, Jetski said:

I'm keeping the part count for now, if you want something special built, find someone to cooperate and launch the other half :)

speaking of cooperation I have yet to check the save out again (been busy) but I assume you put your ISRU module on to the asteroid via the claw. I have KAS/KIS and would be more than happy to move some things around (it wouldn't be the first time on this station) to make it to where your module was attached to the station itself. Also I could maybe get a docking port directly on the asteroid and dock it with the station if you'd like. It would make a great video and self promoting on your thread would be fun:P. Maybe I could even be the designated station maintainer? Any way just tell me what you want to do and I'll do my best.

1 hour ago, Jhawk1099 said:

speaking of cooperation I have yet to check the save out again (been busy) but I assume you put your ISRU module on to the asteroid via the claw. I have KAS/KIS and would be more than happy to move some things around (it wouldn't be the first time on this station) to make it to where your module was attached to the station itself. Also I could maybe get a docking port directly on the asteroid and dock it with the station if you'd like. It would make a great video and self promoting on your thread would be fun:P. Maybe I could even be the designated station maintainer? Any way just tell me what you want to do and I'll do my best.

It's funny you should mention that, I was just going to post something along those lines.  Stand by, I'm updating the OP to explain.

I've added a side mission of station maintenance - check it out on the OP.   Just post if you are taking the savegame same as if you are launching a module.

Let's see how things go, we may start a ship assembly mission once part count gets a little higher.

Cleared for next launch, savegame and latest pic are on the OP.

Okay, I threw together a Mass Relay. Seven parts: 2 engines, a fuel tank, 2 radial attachment points, and 2 docking ports.

Save File.

Pics:

I'll have to add a node sometime. Also, as a side note, without adding a Ships file you cannot save and load craft if you set the save up as I did.

I am looking forward to possibly adding more in the future!

EDIT: typos in the imgur album. When I say nothing to use the ISRU on, I meant the Mass Relay.

Edited by Ultimate Steve
Messed up imgur album

Also, just a suggestion: move the station to a higher orbit (250-300k) so that the terrain is out of its high detail render distance (this reduces lag). Also, I forgot to mention that action group 7 is set to toggle the engines on the Mass Relay.

Edited by Ultimate Steve
Better Wording.

22 hours ago, Jetski said:

Hey can you be quick-ish. I would like to do some stuff but I have a time limit

57 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Also, just a suggestion: move the station to a higher orbit (250-300k) so that the terrain is out of its high detail render distance (this reduces lag). Also, I forgot to mention that action group 7 is set to toggle the engines on the Mass Relay.

You are welcome to move it if you can do it ingame with a legit stock mission, no Hyperedit.  At this point, it would be a fairly interesting tug or configuration to move it around.  Also without damaging the station...

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

*snip*

Also, as a side note, without adding a Ships file you cannot save and load craft if you set the save up as I did.

I am looking forward to possibly adding more in the future!

EDIT: typos in the imgur album. When I say nothing to use the ISRU on, I meant the Mass Relay.

Great mission, looks good.  The savegame is only the .sfs file.  If you guys want to share ships, just share the .craft file.  I looked into this, and sharing the entire save directory (ships/contracts/etc) makes this whole thing a lot more cumbersome and less platform independent.  @godarklight did all that much better than I with the DMP mod :)

Edited by Jetski

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.