[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

57 minutes ago, Galileo said:

We have dropped Kerbalism support in GPP. We don't like how it interacts with GPP in its current state. The Kerbalism dev will pick up support whenever it get updated again. If you choose to continue using Kerbalism you will have to keep using the cfg that was included in the last release. Nothing has changed in regard to how Kerbalism works with multiple stars, so you can keep Grannus removed if you would like. Just don't expect solar panels to work properly with kerbalism if you choose to keep it.

Do they work if you remove Grannus?  What about other Kerbalism functions and resources?  I guess those still work if you use the older configs.

Edited by Nittany Tiger

Just now, Nittany Tiger said:

Do they work if you remove Grannus.  What about other Kerbalism functions and resources?  I guess those still work if you use the older configs.

Yes. If we were going to keep support for Kerbalism, it would have been that exact same cfg. Nothing has changed between Kerbalism and GPP, except the fact that we are no longer going to have the cfg in GPPs DL.

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

Bodies get darker the further away they are

THIS! IS! AWESOME!

I may have to setup a quick & dirty stock-size save just to cheat a probe out to Leto and revel in the darkness! :cool:

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

Rescale! now properly places Kerbal Konstructs statics when using Sigma Dimensions.

ALSO! AWESOME! Never get to actually see it, but still awesome. 

Ok, this is an experimental thing for GPP:

This is a detail preset for the settings.cfg inside your KSP install.

Install Instructions included in the dl.
(IT'S VERY IMPORTANT TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS PRECISELY)

DOWNLOAD
This will also be in the OP in the event it gets lost in the comments here..

Edited by Galileo

16 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

THIS! IS! AWESOME!

I may have to setup a quick & dirty stock-size save just to cheat a probe out to Leto and revel in the darkness! :cool:

We didn't go real extreme with it, after all, we still wanted you to be able to see @Galileo's beautiful textures.  But there is definitely a noticeable drop in illumination as you move outward planet by planet.

IF ANYBODY DOESN'T LIKE DECREASING ILLUMINATION AND WANTS TO GO BACK TO THE WAY IT WAS, then just delete the following file:  GPP/GPP_Configs/SunCurve.cfg.

2 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

We didn't go real extreme with it, after all, we still wanted you to be able to see @Galileo's beautiful textures.  But there is definitely a noticeable drop in illumination as you move outward planet by planet.

IF ANYBODY DOESN'T LIKE DECREASING ILLUMINATION AND WANTS TO GO BACK TO THE WAY IT WAS, then just delete the following file:  GPP/GPP_Configs/SunCurve.cfg.

Thanks for reminding me. I added that to the change log.

7 minutes ago, Three_Pounds said:

I'm giving this a try. If I want to use the default preset, will there be any change at all? What kind of change should I be looking for?

I'm pretty certain it defaults to "default" without adding this. I'm also pretty sure stock "Low" works for GPP too. But to be thorough, I included all presets. You will see the biggest changes with "High"

6 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

@Galileo -

As someone new into making planets, how do you come up with such amazing and beautiful textures? Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Ancient Chinese secret. :wink: 

If you look closely at the textures I made (I purchased a few of the crazier ones), I sourced a lot of real surface maps from NASA, used a lot of cloning, patching, and healing in photoshop. I have been talking about making a tutorial for the longest time, but I keep finding excuses to not do it.. 

9 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Ancient Chinese secret. :wink: 

If you look closely at the textures I made (I purchased a few of the crazier ones), I sourced a lot of real surface maps from NASA, used a lot of cloning, patching, and healing in photoshop. I have been talking about making a tutorial for the longest time, but I keep finding excuses to not do it.. 

Oh, I'll beg you... pleeeeeaaaase!

1 minute ago, TheKurgan said:

I was looking at NASA images last night, wishing I could make my own Mars... but I don't know how to make the finished product into a texture that KSP can use.

It appears you convert a full color image to a greyscale image, convert it to a dds, and rename it height.dds and the config files do the rest for height.

Then use the same map and give it color as you like it, then name it color.png and one called normal.png that appears to be a blue scale...

Or at least that's what I've learned so far, unless the mighty king of planetary textures, @Galileo, would correct my very primitive knowledge of this topic... and I do not mind if he does. I want to learn to do this right.

@adsii1970 it's a bit more complicated than that. You got the color map part right mostly, but height maps and normal maps are a far cry from just changing the color. There are filters that need to be run to get the height map and the normal map. The normal map is actually the most important part imo. It takes the 2d color map, and gives it a 3d illusion allowing shadows to be cast from the mountain ranges when in scaled space all on a flat texture. It also provides great detail to an otherwise bleh texture. I can go into more detail when I'm not driving home from work 

Edited by Galileo

6 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Oh, I'll beg you... pleeeeeaaaase!

It appears you convert a full color image to a greyscale image, convert it to a dds, and rename it height.dds and the config files do the rest for height.

Then use the same map and give it color as you like it, then name it color.png and one called normal.png that appears to be a blue scale...

Or at least that's what I've learned so far, unless the mighty king of planetary textures, @Galileo, would correct my very primitive knowledge of this topic... and I do not mind if he does. I want to learn to do this right.

Here's something quite interesting that I haven't seen posted in on the forums, yet: Wilbur. It's a geological modelling software that allows for some pretty nifty terrain simulation and sculpting. In order for the program to do it's magic you would need some kind of source material first. I might have gone off the deep end but maybe that'll be something awesome and new to have in a planet pack: geologically sound surface features that look like they were created by wind, flowing water (or other liquids - think Titan). Something I'd definitely play. I discovered Wilbur when playing a SimCity clone called Cities: Skylines and looking for guides. So this guide here might be of somewhat limited use when it comes to understanding what Wilbur can actually provide to you.