[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

2 minutes ago, Three_Pounds said:

Yikes. And I thought I was being clever for once. :( 

You are right though, it hasn't been discussed openly on the forums. Perhaps it should be. Other planet makers could probably benefit from it.

Congrats, very nicely done.

I may have lucked out. Copied my old career save to the new install to test it. It seems to be OK, maybe because I only have vessels at Thalia, outside of the Gael system.  What was funny was that my scanner that was orbiting Eta is now orbiting Icarus. Talk about your free trajectories...

29 minutes ago, Gilph said:

Congrats, very nicely done.

I may have lucked out. Copied my old career save to the new install to test it. It seems to be OK, maybe because I only have vessels at Thalia, outside of the Gael system.  What was funny was that my scanner that was orbiting Eta is now orbiting Icarus. Talk about your free trajectories...

lol! Well there are new celestials with this release. Launched craft being displaced to different bodies is to be expected.

@Galileo and the rest of the GPP team - Damn you! :D

I JUST (last night, from 2 am to 5:30 am) did a complete reinstall of a fresh KSP and GPP along with all my other mods.  Either you guys or I have lousy timing :sticktongue:.  On the upside, I haven't actually started playing that install (still setting other mods up, like my preferred layout for KER and so forth), so I guess the question is, can I just install the new version onto my existing install, or should I spend another few hours doing a complete reinstall from scratch again?

I know the likely answer, but you know this type of question is going to be asked, so why shouldn't I be the first?

Ah, to heck with it.  I'll just do a complete reinstall from scratch... why take chances on borking something up?

Edited by MaxxQ

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@MaxxQ ikr? I'm finally putting (hopefully) the finishing touches on my install too-- namely installing some mods I forgot to, or promised their dev(s) I would. :P 

Well, just finished with the new install (including the updated OPT Legacy).  Only took me 1.5 hours this time, since I wasn't stopping every few listings on CKAN to see if I wanted this or that mod like last night.

Now to spend another hour setting up my game... Good thing I don't have to go to work until 4pm.

At least it isn't my modded Skyrim.  That takes me two-three weeks (220+ mods there - pushing the limit).

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Eould it be necessary to dtart a new career if there aren't any spacecraft in orbit or any missions underway?

I just upgraded from 1.4.0 to 1.5.0 without major issues. I think something has happened to the initial rotation of Gael at Epoch but that's all that I can really detect. So my geostationary satellite got out of whack. Apart from that: no issues.

EDIT: Um... Galileo? Can you please not time travel? It's really bad for the physics around here.

Spoiler

AXgaXos.png

Edited by Three_Pounds

Hi, one question regarding scatterer.  My new install was working well last night. After an hour, I looked at the logs and found about 20 nullrefs in scatterer, much like the ones I had in the prior release.  I was testing out deleting all of the stock planet references in scatterer because they really are not needed, and it looked like the nullrefs went away. But I started to get some sunflare problems that I did not work through because the new release came out.

So, generally speaking for GPP, is there a real need to load the stock planet definitions in scatterer if we are just going to supersede them? Is it better to load the GPP definitions directly in scatterer, meaning moving the definitions and configs from GPP directly to scatterer?

Thanks

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Eould it be necessary to dtart a new career if there aren't any spacecraft in orbit or any missions underway?

I role played this as a big "upgrade storm" approaching which required everyone to take shelter on Gael. Worked great. :-)

1 minute ago, Freshmeat said:

Thanks, I thought the mod depended on visual mods to show planets properly. I will try to see if I can make something work.

The planets look absolutely gorgeous even without any extra mods. If your computer can't run it properly, what's the use of eye candy? :)

1 hour ago, Gilph said:

Hi, one question regarding scatterer.  My new install was working well last night. After an hour, I looked at the logs and found about 20 nullrefs in scatterer, much like the ones I had in the prior release.  I was testing out deleting all of the stock planet references in scatterer because they really are not needed, and it looked like the nullrefs went away. But I started to get some sunflare problems that I did not work through because the new release came out.

So, generally speaking for GPP, is there a real need to load the stock planet definitions in scatterer if we are just going to supersede them? Is it better to load the GPP definitions directly in scatterer, meaning moving the definitions and configs from GPP directly to scatterer?

Thanks

The null refs are harmless, Its just because Scatterer still doesn't play nice with Module Manager.

Update

Change Log v1.5.1

• Patch for OPM_Galileo to not move current orbiting vessels upon load due to flightGlobalsIndex changes.
  • No texture changes, so GPP_Textures 3.0.0 still works fine. :) ---- Look! An, update without having to re-download textures!

Download and Install instructions in the OP

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, Gilph said:

Thanks

Loading GPP's scatterer bundle alongside (and disabling through MM) the stock bundle is preferred to directly editing, deleting or overriding scatterer's stock files. GPP is complicated to install and does not need that added step. Also, overriding scatterer's files is stone-age, just tedious and leads to incompatibilities, other errors and confusion, especially when it comes to mixing planet packs.

Here are some notes about how GPP 1.5.1 might break your saves (and what you can do about it)...

• Two new moons were added to the Nero system, Agrippina and Julia.  Since flight globals index numbers are assigned by Kopernicus and are not static, the addition of new bodies will likely change the index numbers of some of the other bodies.  This could cause a orbiter or lander that was previously on one body to move to another.  I don't think there is anything you can do proactively to prevent this.  All you can do is to relocate your vessel back to its original location should you encounter a problem.
  • The starting positions of most of the planets have changed.  This was done to provide a sequence of launch windows to all planets starting about the middle of year 1 through the middle of year 2.  Of course there are additional launch windows scattered about, but if you have a particular target in mind, you should be guaranteed of not having to wait too long for a launch opportunity to arrive.  The closest and most logical targets for your first interplanetary missions have their launch windows arriving first.  The game breaking downside of this is that any active missions that are currently in route to one of the moved planets will now miss its target.  My recommendation is to simply wait until all of your current flights have reached their destinations before upgrading.  And since future launch windows will have changed, scrub any planned missions and wait to reschedule until after the upgrade is completed.
  • Because of a change in Gael's starting position, it's initial rotation was changed by 90 degrees.  Of course this will means that the longitude over which geostationary satellites are positioned will have shifted by 90 degrees (I didn't even think of this until @Three_Pounds mentioned it).  There's nothing you can do about this other than to reposition your satellites.  I'm sure no one will consider it cheating if you were to use Hyperedit (it's not your fault they moved)

Edited by OhioBob