What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

4 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Basically, he would stand in the middle of the intersection and run up to as many cars as he could, slam his palms against their windows

Are you sure that he ran to the cars, not the cars to him?

That he wasn't dense enough to cause his own gravity?

13 minutes ago, Delay said:

Are you sure that he ran to the cars, not the cars to him?

Lol, yes :D

The cars tended to slow down a lot when passing the intersection, and that moment of confusion as he ran up to the vehicles made the drivers stop almost completely

Around this time every year huge amounts of fat and clumsy beetles just show up and hang out around our house. Not too sure what they’re called. But when I say they’re clumsy I mean they’re flying all over the place, bumping into walls and ceilings, and raining from the air if you’re near a light source. 

Right now we’re raising 20-something chicks inside our garage, And the big pen we’re keeping them in has a wire hatch that opens upward. Well, every ten minutes or so, one of those beetles comes tumbling through the air and straight through that wire hatch. It’s hilarious watching those chicks running around trying to grab a beetle from another, especially when there’s more than one in there.

Well, my head is pounding and spinning in circles, my eyes are watering, my ears are ringing, my nose is all stuffed up, and under other circumstances you'd probably think I was dying...  :confused:

But I'm happy to say after two days of pounding over my head, we finally have a new roof!!!  Woohoo!!!  :D

Edited by Just Jim

My past two days were rather unusual. On Thursday in Chemistry we had a lab where we had to set Cheetos on fire below a can of water to measure how much energy was released. During that we almost set the school on fire (not my fault) and violated the law of Conservation of Mass (also not my fault). Long story short: don’t give our group matches. 

Yesterday I finally went back to planet hunting and started to go through K2 Campaign 15. To my pleasant surprise, C15 lasted longer than any other K2 campaign - 86 days compared to the usual 78. This means I will have more data for weaker transiting planet signals and increases the likelihood of finding longer-period planets (30-80 days). However, because each data file for Campaign 15 stars are longer, they are also larger and means it takes longer for the program LcSignalFinder to do its job. I had to break up the LSF search of the first batch of C15 stars over two days, but already I’ve managed to find a few possible candidates and a likely Hot Neptune. 

This would be funny if it were happening to someone else...  :huh:

The Wife and I finally put steel to dirt to dig fence posts for what will be a glorious fenced-in garden. Halfway through the first hole...

...THE FLARPING AUGER JUST SNAPPED!

ic6XL89.jpg J3v3rEe.jpg

OF ALL THE SKIDDLEY-SKADDLEY DING DANG DOODLES...! :mad:

Some potatoe Head only tack-welded the collar on, no finish welds at all!

aand the dang thing is brand new!

And the final kick inna fork is that now I have to at least go thru the motions of the return process instead of just welding the dang thing up myself. 1892_mad_smiley_banging_head_agains.gif~

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

THE FLARPING AUGER JUST SNAPPED!

It didn't look well attached in the first place. Looks like a clean break with only two little weld tacks holding it together. It feels like there should be more holding it together, especially considering how important the actual auger is for the machine.....

Another thing - you can weld? That's neat. How'd you learn?

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

It didn't look well attached in the first place. Looks like a clean break with only two little weld tacks holding it together. It feels like there should be more holding it together, especially considering how important the actual auger is for the machine.....

Another thing - you can weld? That's neat. How'd you learn?

Exactly, it’s like they put it together and never bothered to actually weld it!

An awesome guy from the local Suzuki Samurai club back in AZ taught me, I’m by no means elegant with the craft but I’m at least more functional than this factory! 

When I weld something, by gum it stays weldt! occasionally creating an even bigger problem...

Wrote my math final today. After German and English that was the third and last written final. There's still one in biology, but it's not a written one. You probably know what I'm talking about, but I'm honestly missing the vocabulary to address it properly.

Found out from the BMV (Bureau of Motor Vehicles) that a car I sold two years ago has not been "properly" registered by it's new owner. And now the state I live in wants me to pay the taxes on a car I've not owned in TWO YEARS before I can pay the taxes on the two cars I do own...

HQHaZIC.png?1

5 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Found out from the BMV (Bureau of Motor Vehicles) that a car I sold two years ago has not been "properly" registered by it's new owner. And now the state I live in wants me to pay the taxes on a car I've not owned in TWO YEARS before I can pay the taxes on the two cars I do own...

HQHaZIC.png?1

Do you have any recourse there?

Spoiler

And @Dman979 or someone, we totally need that as a stock smiley!

8 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

HQHaZIC.png?1

Missouri did something very similar to one of my co-workers.

1 hour ago, Delay said:

You probably know what I'm talking about, but I'm honestly missing the vocabulary to address it properly.

Oral? Like when you have to say stuff to get passed?

As for me, finished with AP's here. So thats nice.

27 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Oral? Like when you have to say stuff to get passed?

As for me, finished with AP's here. So thats nice.

I just took AP Calc today, and tomorrow I've got Macro. After that I'm done with AP tests forever, things will start to wind down, and within three weeks I'll be done with Step 1 of getting to space. 

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Do you have any recourse there?

Found out today I did. And it only took me an hour and a half to solve the problem.

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Missouri did something very similar to one of my co-workers.

Ugh. I feel for your co-workers. I hate government worker stupidity.

Ok, so I sold my car to a local salvage company; my (former) friend is a co-owner and tow truck driver for it. The transmission in my Ford Taurus (2003 model) went out and it was going to cost more to fix it than it was worth, according to Kelley Blue Book. So, I sold it for a couple of hundred, signed the title over to him, and thought it was the end of it. That was December of 2016.

Well, not realizing what was going to happen next, and after being promised it would only be used for parts, he lied. He installed a new transmission in it and did not have it re-titled in his company's name. So, it sat on his lot, still in my name until February 2017, when someone purchased it and titled it in Indiana.

Someone in the clerk of court's office where I live hit a wrong keystroke and cleared the tax information that I had paid the taxes and registration fees on my car tag in 2016; they did this when I transferred my veteran's tag to my new car I purchased later in March (In Kentucky, you can transfer vanity tags). SO, that problem was easily fixed. But the system still showed where I owed taxes on the Taurus for 2017 since in January, when taxes are assessed, there was no *proof* I didn't own the car or the car was not in my possession. So, at first I went back home angry... but after lunch, I went back... mad. And took a few copies of emails with me where this guy and I who I sold the car to discussed the transmission issue and he had arranged to pick the car up. Needless to say, when I left the court house this afternoon, I had not only taken care of the 2017 taxes they claimed I owed, but I took care of them in a way that involved the county tax assessor filing a tax lien against the car lot of the (former) friend. Yeah, they are now going to do a complete audit of the entire inventory of the lot and all transactions done in the past four years...

Edited by adsii1970