Best Quotes Ever

KAL 9000

A few, all from the same, still very, very relevant source:

“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”

“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it.”

"How can I help it? How can I help but see what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four."
"Sometimes, Winston. Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once. You must try harder. It is not easy to become sane.”

“We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it.”

In 1984 I was working at a newspaper and the whole year was a journalistic orgy of 'How Orwell got it right' or 'How Orwell got it wrong'.  The scary thing  is that nearly forty years later Orwell's work is still relevant today.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2021 at 12:57 PM, benzman said:

In 1984 I was working at a newspaper and the whole year was a journalistic orgy of 'How Orwell got it right' or 'How Orwell got it wrong'.  The scary thing  is that nearly forty years later Orwell's work is still relevant today.

I think far more relevant than it was in '84.

I watched dystopias come and go, and when my daughter read 1984 in school (2019?), I was thinking they should also read Brave New World—because I thought that was the most realistic dystopia of the two (I told her to also read Harrison Bergeron (very short story by Vonnegut).

I keep seeing stuff currently and think, wow, Newspeak.

“Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thought-crime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it.”

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

Edited by tater

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2021 at 11:15 PM, tater said:

A few, all from the same, still very, very relevant source:

“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it.”

"How can I help it? How can I help but see what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four."
"Sometimes, Winston. Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once. You must try harder. It is not easy to become sane.”

“We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it.”

what an excellent book

"Being a robot is great, but we don't have emotions, and sometimes that makes me very sad," - Bender B. Rodriguez

“Have you ever tried simply turning off your TV, sitting down with your child, and hitting them?” - Bender B. Rodriguez

"Good Lord! That's over 5000 atmospheres of pressure!" - Professor Farnsworth

"How many atmospheres can the ship withstand?" - Philip J. Fry

"Well, it was built for space travel, so anywhere between zero and one."- Professor Farnsworth

“Look, if you have a clumsy child, you make him wear a helmet. If you have death-prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.” - Dr. Venture

"Me fail English? That's unpossible!" - Ralph Wiggum 

-Dr. Venture:
The whole Russian mail-order-bride deal on the Internet, is that on the up and up?

-Molotov:
I wouldn't know.

-Dr. Venture:
Because those Chinese ones are a real racket. The damn thing was already dead when the crate finally showed up!

I got a bunch of good quotes for you tonight!

"France is a country you have to drive through to get to Italy. That's all it's there for." - James May

"Nothing in this life worth achieving is easy, nor is it impossible." - James May

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"I don't always downshift. But when I do, it's next to a Prius, so they can hear me hurt the environment." - Jeremy Clarkson

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal." - Phillip J. Fry

"You win again, gravity!" - Zapp Brannigan

"Their desire to keep living shows me no respect." - Donbot

8 hours ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

"There is no formula for success, but there is a formula for failure, and it's thinking you have the formula for success."  -Adam Savage.

I'm sure there are many formulas for failure, but that one is probably a 'gotcha' formula, that gets you when you think you're on to something.