SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 minutes ago, Nightside said:

He’s not too enthusiastic about it though.

He's at a NASA event, where the subject is Commercial Crew, and part of the rationale from the original contract was for these vehicles to be used outside the usual "NASA is the only customer" paradigm. The goal with commercial crew was always to expand access beyond feeding at the gov trough. So he's stuck, even though they've already moved beyond that in their goals (to Starship).

11 hours ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I mean Max-Q is the most likely point of failure I believe but I know what your saying.

I know this is "after the fact", and the launch was successful, but your "net win" analysis seemed to completely ignore that if there had been a failure in DM1, it would have been a CRS-7/Amos-6 scenario. Something unexpected happened. They'd have been shutdown, possibly from all ops, and a lengthy analysis period would have ensued.

It's not KSP, you don't just dust yourself off and have another try.

10 hours ago, cubinator said:

think it's a red light on one of the tower structures. The way it showed in the same place

There was a pretty intense (but well localized, hopefully) cell, about 300 km WNW of the coast:

DSC08478

19 hours ago, DDE said:

Even if Roscosmos shared their trajectories (big if), those trajectories would be adapted to an inclination matching that of the ISS.

SpX would have to calculate their own trajectory.

I was asking since they always have an instantaneous launch window anyway... why not work out some faster rendezvous method ?