A Claw Wheel

Calster804

SO i was wondering if there was a way to copy the claw module from the claw part and to put it in a wheel config.

It would be useful for things like aircraft carriers and things like that.

Thanks

(PS> I know that this is probably in the wrong forum so could a mod please move it into the wright forum)

5 hours ago, Calster804 said:

SO i was wondering if there was a way to copy the claw module from the claw part and to put it in a wheel config.

It would be useful for things like aircraft carriers and things like that.

Thanks

(PS> I know that this is probably in the wrong forum so could a mod please move it into the wright forum)

What are you trying to achieve? Wheels that lock a craft down while landed?

3 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Why not have a docking port on the belly and then drop the landing gear to lower yourself down onto another docking port on the carrier where the planes park?

This should work, 
Has done this the other way for an lander with an dockable rover, it drive under the lander I then lower the lander to dock. 

I could do it that way but I think it would just be coooler to press say action group 10 and arm th eclaw and then sticking it to th ecarrier deck+ it looks a bit rubbish with a big docking port on the belly of the plane and the planes some times knock into the port and go of course nad BD wing man can't correct that.

thanks

6 hours ago, softweir said:

What are you trying to achieve? Wheels that lock a craft down while landed?

Yes that so the carrier and plane become docked

6 hours ago, Jas0n said:

Knowing how glitchy wheels can get, combining them with the claw would probably lead to RUD.

I still would like to try it just to see

thanks

HI, the claw module needs a separate collider from the model parent mesh to act as a named trigger, sadly wheels do not have the kind of collider that can be interacted with in such a way, gripping wheels with claws has ended badly too many times to count, and i've a feeling that incorporating a claw module with a wheel collider is a RSVP Kraken invite :) However i wish many happy explosions while you pursue your goal.

What about sticking the claw onto the carrier deck, then piloting the plane over to the claw, then lowering the landing gear on the plane to get the armed claw to grab it?  No random parts on your plane, and your aircraft carrier will now look like a giant space monster if you arm them all at once!

On 8/5/2017 at 4:31 PM, Calster804 said:

it looks a bit rubbish with a big docking port on the belly of the plane

Stock gives you your choice of two medium size retracting docking ports, you could just use them as a fuselage element

I've been thinking similar things recently. Cargo containers and pallets which would dock to each other to be specific.

How difficult would be some sort of "tie-down" mechanic where one part is tied to another or locked to relative position to another part like carrier deck? Would it be possible to make two docking ports dock together without their colliders touching?

6 hours ago, ImmaStegosaurus! said:

I've been thinking similar things recently. Cargo containers and pallets which would dock to each other to be specific.

How difficult would be some sort of "tie-down" mechanic where one part is tied to another or locked to relative position to another part like carrier deck? Would it be possible to make two docking ports dock together without their colliders touching?

well.... there's KAS connectors that should do the job, combined with struts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.