How many times do you encounter the kraken?

NSEP

Poll:  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How many times does the kraken strike?

• Rarely/never
    • Once every 1-10 gameplay sessions
    • Once every gameplay session
    • 1-5 times a session
    • 5+ times a session
  2. 2. What do you think is the cause the kraken strikes?

• Dunno
    • I think my lack of kraken strikes is because i don't that much mods.
    • My mods
    • I summon him myself
    • I never have kraken strikes
    • I make things with a ton of parts.
    • Other

I play with a lot of mods and to be honest I have very rarely encountered the kraken(in any shape of form). The funny thing is when I close the game( after a long session) and the game crash when exiting and I get a message saying KSP stopped working :D

I rarely encounter a kraken, but since version 1.3, the rate of encounter suddenly cranked up to eleven. I play with few mods, though the kraken encounter most likely happened when I'm building rover (most infamous when jeb left a command seat of a rover then suddenly shoot straight up at hypersonic speed, or when jeb trips when heading on the rover, his head hit the rover body and suddenly the rover blown in pieces and jeb flies several km upwards and get spaghettified)

It's happened twice.  Once when staging right after achieving LKO in a basic fuel tank rocket (rocket disintegrated) , and again when Val walked into a wheel strut, causing her to be launched under the surface of the Mun and into oblivion.  No clue what caused either one.

The only time I have encountered the kraken (I think at least) was during a mission to Ike. I wanted to land there. and when I switched to the vessel during the transfer orbit to Duna, one of the tanks on the side went haywire. It ended up destroying a landing leg. Fortunately I had a quicksave just before that.

You need to define your terms. There was only ever one Squad-designated kraken, and it was fixed years ago. Players have called many other things krakens, but they are unrelated. 

The only true kraken was when ships would move at extremely high speeds, the relative positions of the ship's parts would be shifted, causing twisting of the structure or even part failures. 

Oh, and to answer the question, I only encountered that once. 

If you build a vessel with two claws right on top of each other, eva the kerbal on top, grapple the kerbal with the lower claw, and then grab the already grabbed kerbal with the upper claw, it deletes the planet.  Watch danny2536.  

13 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

If you build a vessel with two claws right on top of each other, eva the kerbal on top, grapple the kerbal with the lower claw, and then grab the already grabbed kerbal with the upper claw, it deletes the planet.  Watch danny2536.  

OK, I have to ask...

Why???  :huh:

15 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

OK, I have to ask...

Because danny2536.

As for me, I've encountered things I called Krakens many times over the years, including the actual Kraken once. I've not seen hide nor hair (Does the Kraken have hair?) in over a year, though. I have a lot of mods but most don't add parts or change physics, and none add crazy parts or physics changes.

I encountered a Kraken I call The Lich, because you can only encounter it when getting very close to the pulsar Lich, or any other high-gravity object. And by high gravity I mean something like TWO BILLION GEES. Get your big craft in a very eccentric orbit that comes close to the pulsar, and watch the magic unfold. Before you know it, several spacecraft chunks will be flying off at 132 times the speed of light. When you go back to the Space Center, it will be nighttime, and Kerbin will loom large in the sky. 

Don't ask why. 

Well, i guess this counts as a kraken fart: recently i landed on Minmus with a little manned lander, EVA'd, went for a little walk, and when i came back there was no lander. I opened the map and saw it was 8.000 meters high, so i Atargeted it, jumped with the RCS pack and failed miserably at trying to recover it; it finally smashed against the floor. Good thing i quicksave often, not fun having a bug ruining your mission.

BTW i have quite a lot of CTD's, mostly while loading screens involving the Spaceplane Hangar, that is: SPH<->KSC, SPH<->Runway. Is that common?

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

OK, I have to ask...

We chose to grab a kerbal with two claws at once, and do the other krakens, not because it is easy, but because it is hard. :)

eating-bag-of-pinecones-is-also-hard.png 

17 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

We chose to grab a kerbal with two claws at once, and do the other krakens, not because it is easy, but because it is hard

And because it's hard, the result would usually be catastrophic for the vessel, kerbal, or even the game. The kraken demands sacrifice for greater effect, but seeing how Danny2462 regularly did that, it's a small price to pay for seeing the mighty kraken alter the reality of kerbol system

ALL HAIL KRAKEN!:o

Personally though, I enjoy the unpredictable nature of kraken. It makes the game more exciting

Since I don't do much spaceflight, I almost NEVER experience a kraken. I used to encounter the 1.1.x kerbal-touching-landing-leg-explosion kraken a LOT. 

On 12/7/2017 at 5:12 PM, Vanamonde said:

You need to define your terms. There was only ever one Squad-designated kraken, and it was fixed years ago. Players have called many other things krakens, but they are unrelated. 

The only true kraken was when ships would move at extremely high speeds, the relative positions of the ship's parts would be shifted, causing twisting of the structure or even part failures. 

Oh, and to answer the question, I only encountered that once. 

yup...

b0dtQ.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.