adsii1970's sandbox micro-challenges (New Challenge - December 16, 2022)

7 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I’d consider this necro a success :P

No, I had already been planning on updating the thread anyway. Your poking in it showed me it wouldn't be a wasted effort...

• 2 weeks later...

Minmus mining and refining outpost micro-challenge

This challenge involves creating a fully operational ore mining and refining facility on Minmus.
This particular challenge will feed into two other challenges to be released at future dates. Those two challenges will not be able to be completed without the resources (fuel) generated by this functional micro-challenge.

Here are the requirements for your :

Modded game

Stock game
+ The outpost must comfortably house six Kerbalnauts + The outpost must comfortably house six Kerbalnauts
+ The outpost may be located anywhere on the surface of Minmus. + The outpost may be located anywhere on the surface of Minmus.
+ The outpost can be powered by solar, nuclear (RTG), fuel cells,etc. + The outpost can be powered by solar, nuclear (RTG), fuel cells,etc.
+ The outpost must be able to remain in contact with the KSC (relay ok). + The outpost must be able to remain in contact with the KSC (relay ok)
+ The outpost must have storage capability for ore and fuel.* + The outpost must have storage capability for ore and fuel.*
+ The outpost must have two rovers.** + The outpost must have two rovers.**

+ The outpost must have a Convert-o-tron.
+ The outpost must have the ability to transfer fuel to and from a vehicle.

+ The outpost must have a Convert-o-tron.
+ The outpost must have the ability to transfer fuel to and from a vehicle.

+ Station must be able to provide food/snacks for six Kerbalnauts (greenhouse)  

Additional information about the challenge:

• The outpost must be able to store at least 1,500 units of ore, 1,000 units of liquid fuel and oxygen, and 500 units of monopropellant. *
  • The outpost must be able to transfer fuel, liquid oxygen, and monopropellant to another craft/vehicle (the vehicle will be constructed in another challenge).
  • The outpost must be able to transfer ore from a rover to ore storage tank/tanks.
  • The outpost must have two rovers:**
    • One rover must operate with a Kerbal crew of two and be capable of mining ore and transporting it back for refinement into fuel.
    • One rover must have a surface scanning module to locate ore deposits from the surface and must have the capacity to conduct other surface experiments on Minmus.
  • Your settlement must be constructed on the surface of Minmus but with parts from Kerbin.
  • There is no preferred shape for your settlement! As long as it meets the above criteria, you're good to go. There are a couple of observations for your consideration:
    • Convert-o-trons use a lot of power. Make sure your facility can generate and store enough power!
    • Make sure you have a lot of batteries. One of the mods I use is @Nertea's Near Future Electrical mod. The capacitors and larger batteries (and more powerful nuclear reactors) are definitely a help.

The sandbox micro-challenge badge:

X9B0EoX.png?1

Participant Board:

@Spaceman.Spiff: "I'm going single launch" (it actually took 3)    
@GuessingEveryDay: "MinStation Challenge"    
@Lewie: "Here's my entry!"    
@STORMPILOTkerbalkind: "Here's my official submission..."    

42 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

You're on!!!! :wink:

I committed to being the first to finish this challenge, so I'd better hurry up!

I only have done my base design! 

Oh, it is ON!

Spoiler

Just some friendly competition! Can’t wait to see what ya come up with :P

@GuessingEveryDay and @Spaceman.Spiff:

Eventually, there will be a set of missions for each of the stock planets and moons - Jool will be a bit different because it is the only stock gas giant.

If there's interest, I might add missions involving OPM to the challenges.

As a side note, if you wanted to download the mod, Final Frontier, Each of these sandbox micro-challenges will trigger those Kerbals assigned to the various missions awards when they return to the KSC (hint - one of the micro-challenges will be crew rotations just for that purpose :D). If I do decide to add challenges which features the Outer Planet Mod (OPM), they also have a set of ribbons which will work with the Final Frontier mod AND the sandbox micro-challenges.

I'm going single launch...

GAq15iE.png

kEMtLIy.png

This launch is brought to you by struts.....

And SRBs now. :confused:

lWnCUTz.png

After many attempts, we get to orbit

Si7QZXG.png

Trans-Minmus Injection Burn

A bit later now,

qTiNzNn.png

Adjusting course for landing.

Final approach

64tm5Xd.png

eeywRK8.png

Touchdown!

I'll do the rovers tomorrow.

It's not tomorrow, but here is Rover 2!

(1 will come later)

Pb9zhVK.png

qygandg.png

Quite a bit later, but It's late and I didn't feel like taking pictures. The rover has it's own propulsion system, and I am using that for the final landing.

It is very mobile and feature packed. This has the surface scanning module, along with other science. (Plus a special flight mode)

iYw0g1h.png

Here is a nice shot with it and the base. I look forward to using it more!

Now its time for the launch of the second First rover.

idOR4HJ.png

FJV3ANx.png

n6N3kgn.png

KCfA1Cb.png

Believe it or not, this is actually the manufacturer recommended flight path.

hUEZBd2.png

TM Injection

dYfbAlt.png

At Minmus.

SGmbYGN.png

YNgCmnZ.png

jcWiw8z.png

txSlV7p.png

Done!

RkvYb3m.png

@adsii1970@Lewie

Edited by Spaceman.Spiff

Here's my entry!

Spoiler

I'm not quite down, I'm going to be sending some fuel tank/rover stuff soontm

I ran into a frustrating bug with Scatter, I would install it..but nothing would happen! The water would 'disappear'  I could still interact with it...just not see it.

Warning-VERY picture heavy!

Core Module-

Spoiler

screenshot1.pngscreenshot2.pngscreenshot3.pngscreenshot4.pngscreenshot5.pngscreenshot8.pngscreenshot10.pngscreenshot11.pngscreenshot12.png

Mining Rig-

Spoiler

screenshot13.pngscreenshot16.pngscreenshot17.pngscreenshot18.pngscreenshot19.pngscreenshot21.pngscreenshot24.pngscreenshot26.pngscreenshot28.pngscreenshot29.pngscreenshot32.pngscreenshot34.pngscreenshot35.pngscreenshot36.pngscreenshot37.pngscreenshot41.pngscreenshot43.pngscreenshot44.pngscreenshot48.pngscreenshot52.pngscreenshot53.pngscreenshot56.png

ISRU Module

Spoiler

screenshot58.pngscreenshot59.pngscreenshot61.pngscreenshot64.pngscreenshot66.pngscreenshot67.pngscreenshot69.pngscreenshot73.png

I only bothered to get an encounter with Minmus, not worrying about how close I was or anything...I think it got pretty close to Minmus for just winging it!

screenshot74.pngscreenshot75.pngscreenshot77.pngscreenshot80.pngscreenshot82.pngscreenshot83.pngscreenshot84.pngscreenshot85.png

The kraken didn't like this craft for some reason...It would freak out whenever I tried to move it under its own power. I ended up using vessel move. :/

screenshot88.png

Yeah, the Kraken didn't really like this...not at all...

Edited by Lewie

It has some landing gear glitch problems witch I still need to figure out, but I think I’ll fix it.

Edit: Here it is with the boosters, It took forever to make a version with enough delta V. I'm too tired to ima launch tomorrow. I also still have to launch a scan sat to figure how where that delicious ore is.

Spoiler

20210330163137-1.jpg

20210330163147-1.jpg

20210330163157-1.jpg

20210330163150-1.jpg

Edited by STORMPILOTkerbalkind
Adding images.

Update: Launched Scanning probe/ Relay Sat:

Spoiler

20210331154610-1.jpg

20210331155203-1.jpg

20210331155550-1.jpg

I tried to launch surface base, but are still having problems with getting it there. Here are some launch disaster images:

Spoiler

20210331161643-1.jpg

20210331161722-1.jpg

20210331161719-1.jpg

And I though the Challenger disaster was bad.

I'm going to try and launch the base tomorrow.

If not im going to try the micro space station challenge (if I still can).

Also thanks @adsii1970for following me! :)

Edited by STORMPILOTkerbalkind

4 hours ago, STORMPILOTkerbalkind said:

If not im going to try the micro space station challenge (if I still can).

There's no expiration date on any of the challenges. Oh, and Friday evening, I plan on posting another one - if all goes well. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.