[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

19 minutes ago, jrbudda said:

Can one of you give me easy instructions to make a craft that shows the problem?

This craft from KerbalX does the trick https://kerbalx.com/swjr-swis/swjrjet-UltraPlus-Mk1

It's using Juno jet engines.  In normal level flight at 200m/s horizontal speed the time readout in the previous version was around 2h 30m (give or take) same plane in new version and time is 0.0s

Or download "airplane plus" and build any plane with a piston engine. With one standard 1.25 tank and one engine, depending on design, you would usuallt have  minutes/hours of flight. Now you have days and days....  or zero.

The math is off. One interesting thing: does not seem to affect lf+ox engines. Just pure LF engines. Though you probably should test it more.

Edited by Daniel Prates

10 hours ago, jrbudda said:

I pushed 1.1.8.2 to github and curseforge, see if that fixes it, thanks.

I tested with a stock plane using jet engines and an Airplane Plus plane using a prop engine. In both cases the readout is back to how it was prior to the update. (and best of all I don't have to do math in my head any more).

Thanks for the quick fix!

I had some trouble with KSP 1.11.0 and reverted to 1.10.1. Would like to avoid further issues, KER 1.1.8.2 is definitely good for KSP 1.10.1?

The latest versions of a couple of mods I'm using are marked in CKAN to be downward compatible with 1.10.1 but definitely aren't, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance :) 

I made a more simple craft to show the bug I depicted on the previous page:
Reminder: KSP 1.11.0 and KER 1.1.8.2 used.

First of all you create an artificial attach point with a cubic strut.
210104101806161630.png

Then you use this basis to make your ship

210104103416154330.png

You can see that the game identifies a valid configuration able to deliver a thrust but KER does not and considers the engine as dead mass.

A test on the runway shows this kind of assembly is perfectly usable.

210104103032631227.png

Edited by OnlyLightMatters
grammars

Strange. KSP 1.10.1 and 1.1.7.2 as well but no readings from KER.

210104014136378062.png

Maybe we did not build the craft the same way.

In my case
1/ Take the storage unit
2/ place 2 cubic struts with symmetry
3/ reroot to one cubic strut
4/ finish the craft

I think you did not reroot anything.
Rerooting is mandatory when considering what you start to build is a subassembly of something bigger like:

210104015134214121.png

@OnlyLightMatters

I can reproduce this.

Here are the steps that repro for me (p.s. why are we building rockets in the SPH?). I have yet to determine which of these steps are truly necessary.

1. Grab the SEQ9 as the first part
  2. Put a cubic strut on the front, put another on the back. There is no symmetry here because it's the wrong direction, so I placed two individually.
  3. Re-root to the front cubic strut
  4. Attach the fuel tank and capsule to the front
  5. Attach the terrier to the back.
Spoiler

OQ89ei0.png

edit:

Just wanted to also mention that I've seen this behavior many, many times. I've been using KER for years and I have always been able to confuse it into not showing entire stages.

For example, it's not hard to repro when you're building the Lunar Orbiter mission from BDB. The probe is built first, sort of "upside down" and needs to be flipped over when put into the fairing. If you build this and then re-root to the Agena's core, you can get these symptoms, too.

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers
tag

There's another case where stages are missing, this one is even simpler, but also less clear. The screenshot below shows that an SRM from Probes Plus registers correctly with KSP but not KER at all. However, this one is more iffy because some of the other Probes Plus SRMs do not show any value for KSP either. Since PP is an older mod I'm only mentioning this because of the one case where stock gets it but KER doesn't. Also in all likelihood this isn't related to the previous discussions, but since I don't know how KER works, I'm just throwin out data points.

Spoiler

nA21zJa.png

19 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Rerooting or not, it still works:

Kerbal-Space-Program-2021-01-04-14-00-34

Now try the same thing without the rear donut tank ;)
The issue happens when the engine is NOT linked to a tank with a native attach point.

12 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Just wanted to also mention that I've seen this behavior many, many times. I've been using KER for years and I have always been able to confuse it into not showing entire stages.

I have the memory (false memory perhaps) of older versions of KSP where such buildings caused the engines not to be provided with fuel.
It's possible KER was consistent with the game at this time.

Edited by OnlyLightMatters
grammars, always

So, i'm setting up some satellites around Kerbin, when i notice that Kerbal Engineer is only displaying my orbital period in days and hours (no minutes or seconds), at least for the hight i'm working working within. What's up with that?

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Perhaps it's the one called "Time til Approach" (sic) in the Rendezvous category?

Thanks I found it. I had to create one. I did not there was a drop down menu when to select category, it was defaulted orbit. That’s why I didn’t see it.

I'm trying to use KER (v. 1.1.83) and it drops my FPS below 20-30, making the game very-very sluggish. It happens when I launch a rocket with a Kerbal Engineering System or when I start a mission where KER is already enabled. It's the only mod I installed, also when I remove it FPS is always 60 (I suppose it can be much higher, but I locked it to 60). My PC specs are i9 9900KF, RTX 2080Ti and 16 Gb RAM.

Has anyone experienced such problems? Any solutions? I understand that I can play without KER, but it would be nice to have it installed. :(

Edited by Ayzen

6 hours ago, Ayzen said:

I'm trying to use KER (v. 1.1.83) and it drops my FPS below 20-30, making the game very-very sluggish. It happens when I launch a rocket with a Kerbal Engineering System or when I start a mission where KER is already enabled. It's the only mod I installed, also when I remove it FPS is always 60 (I suppose it can be much higher, but I locked it to 60). My PC specs are i9 9900KF, RTX 2080Ti and 16 Gb RAM.

Has anyone experienced such problems? Any solutions? I understand that I can play without KER, but it would be nice to have it installed. :(

I doubt KER is doing this without something else going on.  Please post links to a pic of your GameData folder and your log file that you've upload to a file sharing site, such as Google Drive.  See the link in my sig block for guidance on where to find the log.

On 2/14/2021 at 7:45 PM, Brigadier said:

I doubt KER is doing this without something else going on.  Please post links to a pic of your GameData folder and your log file that you've upload to a file sharing site, such as Google Drive.  See the link in my sig block for guidance on where to find the log.

Thanks a lot for your reply! I checked the logs and it appeared KER was spamming exceptions at the speed of light (30Mb per 5 seconds), which caused the problem with FPS.  It looks like it couldn't read some config files, so I just redownloaded KER and now everything works very smoothly. Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.