Developer Insights #3

MechBFP

10 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Thats just a phrase, caves wont be possible with the height mapping being used, nor overhanging ledges

Being used in the first game*

New planets can be done with entirely different method, we don't know that yet.

18 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Being used in the first game*

New planets can be done with entirely different method, we don't know that yet.

What method do you suggest? Heres a conversation on the topic with undergrad level detail of the options:

https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/15573/heightmap-voxel-polygon-geometry-terrains

Would you prefer to make large sacrifices in memory and performance, slowing down a game already heavily burdened by its physics system to add some caves to a game about building rockets and space?

Doesn't sound like intelligent design to me.. I'd like better terrain to explore too though, lack luster terrain dissuades exploration of a planet, surely... But I don't think specifically caves and overhanging ledges are whats missing as much as a greater attention to detail with an artists intention to make awe inspiring vistas along with a huge update in graphics (especially since they're so amazingly outdated, though the recent textures have been a vast improvement). Just sayin, don't remember caves being in a Bob Ross painting but they were all darn pretty

Edited by mcwaffles2003

Spoiler

3 hours ago, HenryBlatbugIII said:

We want players to build crazy orbital drydocks and mining colonies on stalactites.

I hope that's not a typo, because that means that some planets are going to be significantly more interesting than I expected.

(Spikes on the ground are stalagmites.  Spikes hanging from the ceiling of a cave are stalactites.)

omg... They think the world is hollow...

Spoiler

On another hand, think positive. If it's so, then we can have a trip to the wall of the world.

5 hours ago, HenryBlatbugIII said:

Spikes hanging from the ceiling of a cave are stalactites.)

yeah, i was confused at that but apparently, we’re gonna mine some stalagmites and stalactites! I personally want to go to Vall and examine the otherworldly ice, or swim in Laythe’s oceans (with a submarine, I do not want my Kerbals to drown in salt water), finding exotic plants. Maybe even Rask and Rusk, having new ore deposits as a stop for a starship to Kerbol’s closest neighbors.

3 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Doesn't sound like intelligent design to me.. I'd like better terrain to explore too though, lack luster terrain dissuades exploration of a planet, surely... But I don't think specifically caves and overhanging ledges are whats missing as much as a greater attention to detail with an artists intention to make awe inspiring vistas along with a huge update in graphics (especially since they're so amazingly outdated, though the recent textures have been a vast improvement). Just sayin, don't remember caves being in a Bob Ross painting but they were all darn pretty

perhaps not, but we can dream about small caves with large ore deposits, and based on the improved graphics, I will be seeing some ice and underwater stuff, hopefully 

9 minutes ago, HansonKerman said:

yeah, i was confused at that but apparently, we’re gonna mine some stalagmites and stalactites! I personally want to go to Vall and examine the otherworldly ice, or swim in Laythe’s oceans (with a submarine, I do not want my Kerbals to drown in salt water), finding exotic plants. Maybe even Rask and Rusk, having new ore deposits as a stop for a starship to Kerbol’s closest neighbors.

perhaps not, but we can dream about small caves with large ore deposits, and based on the improved graphics, I will be seeing some ice and underwater stuff, hopefully 

All that interests me in KSP 2 in terms of resources is Helium-3. Unlimited Helium 3 
Although probably the most demanding resource will be water.

Edited by OOM

On 4/16/2020 at 8:45 PM, justspace103 said:

Also, they did say "We all know that Kerbals just need cool suits, snacks, and something fun to crash." Could it be that there is going to be a sort of semi-simple life support system for keeping kerbals entertined on colonies?

A good long time ago, when asked flat out about life support, the answers were evasive. My reading of the tea leaves is that there won't be life support in the sense that kerbals will die if they run out of resources, but that shipments of snacks (or whatnot) may be required to keep a base working. Until it becomes self-sufficient.

8 hours ago, Laie said:

A good long time ago, when asked flat out about life support, the answers were evasive. My reading of the tea leaves is that there won't be life support in the sense that kerbals will die if they run out of resources, but that shipments of snacks (or whatnot) may be required to keep a base working. Until it becomes self-sufficient.

ooooo I likey 

On 4/16/2020 at 8:45 PM, justspace103 said:

I love how they adressed the balance between crazy micromanagement and simple on the colonies. what even better is that enven though you may disagree with their choices of making colonies say "too easy" it seems like they will be making the process such as resource gathering extremly modable so that would be great.

Also, they did say "We all know that Kerbals just need cool suits, snacks, and something fun to crash." Could it be that there is going to be a sort of semi-simple life support system for keeping kerbals entertined on colonies? this would be awesome, but i could also see that this could be beyond the scope of the game. maybe it will be easily modable

Yes, they had mentioned some simple life support system earlier, as in its simpler than most of the existing ones. Quite possible kerbals without snack only goes into hibernation to. 
This would work like an probe without power, you could reactivate the kerbals docking an probe with an snaks container to ship would activate them again. 

I assume colonies over an set size or who have an greenhouse or other food producing module of some type would be self supplied with snacks and it make sense they could export it to ships too. 

On 4/17/2020 at 9:49 PM, mcwaffles2003 said:

What method do you suggest? Heres a conversation on the topic with undergrad level detail of the options:

https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/15573/heightmap-voxel-polygon-geometry-terrains

Would you prefer to make large sacrifices in memory and performance, slowing down a game already heavily burdened by its physics system to add some caves to a game about building rockets and space?

Forgive possibly a naive non-programmer question, but could this not be done with a workaround, where a cave is built in the same way a building is--placed on top of the existing planet and just textured to reasonably blend in with the surroundings?

1 hour ago, Klapaucius said:

Forgive possibly a naive non-programmer question, but could this not be done with a workaround, where a cave is built in the same way a building is--placed on top of the existing planet and just textured to reasonably blend in with the surroundings?

Sure.

(actual game footage)

maxresdefault.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2020 at 7:49 PM, mcwaffles2003 said:

How about a small number of hand-crafted caves generated like easter eggs rather than as a terrain element?