Show and Tell - New LANTR engine

StarSlay3r

42 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

One might be antimatter.

One of the designs in the original trailer looks a lot like it's inspired by beam core antimatter rocket proposals. Obviously doesn't have to mean anything, but makes it look like it was at least considered.

14 hours ago, The Aziz said:

That (5 types) and a comment from Nate on page 2 that there are more than 4 types of fuel in the game and 2 that hadn't been revealed yet. Now we got LH so I suppose that leaves only one kind of fuel that is a mystery.

From that thread:

On 2/19/2021 at 11:59 AM, KSPStar said:

Colony fuel factories! From smallest to largest: Methalox Fuel Factory, Monopropellant Fuel Factory, Xenon Fuel Factory, Helium-3 Fuel Factory, and Metallic Hydrogen Fuel Factory. How does it work? LASERS, of course!

These were created by Intercept artists Jonathan Cooper and Matthew Reynolds, as well as Squad artists Bob Palmer and Pablo Ollervides.

On 2/19/2021 at 3:18 PM, Nate Simpson said:

There are more than four fuel types. There are two fuels we have not talked about yet. ;)

This makes it at least 7 fuel types. When Nate responds to you saying there are more than 4 fuel types that implies equal to or greater than 5 and I believe he is being intentionally vague. With hydrogen (non-metallic) added to the list that makes 6 fuel types. There's no talk about nuclear bomb fuel types for the orion in these threads but I believe they have been talked about, but that's at least 7 then:

1. Methalox
  2. Monopropellant
  3. Xenon
  4. He3
  5. Met-H
  6. Liquid H
  7. Bombs (probably uranium/plutonium)

If these are all the types then I'm guessing progression will be:

1. Methalox/Monoprop
  2. Liquid H/Xenon
  3. Bombs
  4. Met-H/He3

Now maybe there is 1 more fuel type left then or bombs was the last one?

When looking for new nozzle designs, Jebadiah Kerman's Junkyard and Spacecraft Parts Co asked a good question, "What if you cut a nozzle in half then put the bottom half on some pistons?". Well they did exactly that, then they asked another question, "What if we made it so it has different modes?". Well, after a few explosions and trips to the hospital near by, they found that if done right, it can make a rocket engine good for almost any occasion, they have some drawings of a possible even bigger, 3.75 meter version that would do well for bigger rockets, and, it would help the age old problem, when using MOAR BOOSTERS, what engine do we put on?

1 hour ago, BigStar Aerospace said:

When looking for new nozzle designs, Jebadiah Kerman's Junkyard and Spacecraft Parts Co asked a good question, "What if you cut a nozzle in half then put the bottom half on some pistons?". Well they did exactly that, then they asked another question, "What if we made it so it has different modes?". Well, after a few explosions and trips to the hospital near by, they found that if done right, it can make a rocket engine good for almost any occasion, they have some drawings of a possible even bigger, 3.75 meter version that would do well for bigger rockets, and, it would help the age old problem, when using MOAR BOOSTERS, what engine do we put on?

not sure but i think this engine will make the game too easy, you could propably do everything with a single stage rocket and orbital refueling, so i guess this will be the last engine on the research tree?

20 minutes ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

not sure but i think this engine will make the game too easy, you could propably do everything with a single stage rocket and orbital refueling, so i guess this will be the last engine on the research tree?

Define too easy, you can already bring anything in orbit with a Vector powered 100% reusable 3m rocket SSTO.

1 hour ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

I don't think so. It might make it easy to get something we'd currently consider a "large" lander into orbit, which is something that approaches the limit of space exploration in KSP 1, but KSP 2 is a game where once you've done all that you have interstellar travel and proper interplanetary colonization to attempt. These goals are so far beyond what can normally be done in KSP 1 that I think engines like this that would be considered extremely overpowered in the first game will only be a stepping stone to what's possible in KSP 2. The challenge isn't in getting a single lander to a planet, it's moving a whole city there.

6 hours ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

It's in the upper half, for sure, since you need NTR tech as a pre-req, but I have a feeling we'll have a lot of interesting tech up in that portion of the tree anyways. So by the time you get to that point in the game, a climb out of planet's gravity well is mostly just a chore, so making it easy with an engine like this isn't a bad thing. Of course, it depends a lot on how they balance out progression overall.

14 hours ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

It's not just going to be about getting somewhere and back anymore. It's gunna be about getting there and back at speed with brachistochrone trajectories. If you think this engine is over powered wait until you see the Daedalus and metallic hydrogen engines

22 hours ago, K^2 said:

It's in the upper half, for sure, since you need NTR tech as a pre-req, but I have a feeling we'll have a lot of interesting tech up in that portion of the tree anyways. So by the time you get to that point in the game, a climb out of planet's gravity well is mostly just a chore, so making it easy with an engine like this isn't a bad thing. Of course, it depends a lot on how they balance out progression overall.

true, i did not consider having a much bigger universe to explore

There are definitely times when its worth it to have a high-isp drive on a mothership with a lander section that detaches with its own higher thrust engines. Ive used some of the NFT engines to deliver LFO landers to Moho for instance. This LANTR looks like it would be better for delivering big equipment to Duna or Tylo, where switching from high ISP to high thrust with the same engine would be really handy. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

On 6/27/2021 at 6:46 PM, mcwaffles2003 said:

From that thread:

This makes it at least 7 fuel types. When Nate responds to you saying there are more than 4 fuel types that implies equal to or greater than 5 and I believe he is being intentionally vague. With hydrogen (non-metallic) added to the list that makes 6 fuel types. There's no talk about nuclear bomb fuel types for the orion in these threads but I believe they have been talked about, but that's at least 7 then:

1. Methalox
  2. Monopropellant
  3. Xenon
  4. He3
  5. Met-H
  6. Liquid H
  7. Bombs (probably uranium/plutonium)

If these are all the types then I'm guessing progression will be:

1. Methalox/Monoprop
  2. Liquid H/Xenon
  3. Bombs
  4. Met-H/He3

Now maybe there is 1 more fuel type left then or bombs was the last one?

Oxidiser is still definitely present, since that's part of the LANTR's main functionality (or, as I like to call it, the NERD). Though it's not exclusively a fuel. I suspect classic liquid fuel will still be a part of this as well since you need to have jet engines working.

3 hours ago, intelliCom said:

Oxidiser is still definitely present, since that's part of the LANTR's main functionality (or, as I like to call it, the NERD). Though it's not exclusively a fuel. I suspect classic liquid fuel will still be a part of this as well since you need to have jet engines working.

If it is then I think that will most likely be turned to being called "kerolox" since:

• That can be both used as high thust low ISP rocket fuel as well as jet fuel 
  • They've already broken down the "liquid fuel" regime into 2 of 3 of the normally used real world counterparts

On 6/25/2021 at 12:01 PM, KSPStar said:

Jun 25 Show And Tell.png

we still haven't come up with a Kerbal-fied name for this LOX-Augmented Nuclear Thermal Rocket

How about the Kerbodyne (or whatever company that made this engine) AS-22 "Transformer"?

Tried thinking of an acronym but sometimes I think it's better to just make a fun name.

@KSPStar, here is my pich for the name. And the other stuff.

"Beacon" MK-IV LANTR Engine.

Manufacturer: Kerbin National Railroad Foundation and whatever company makes the NERV.

Description: The LOX-Augmented Nuclear Thermal Rocket Engine, Commonly called the Beacon, is the successor of the LV-N engine. Running on liquid hydrogen, it is great for those missions where you want to save as much mass as possible by only carriying one type of fuel. Its nossle can retract for antmosheric flight! Another great feature is that it can also use liquid oxygen along with liquid hydrogen to get better thrust!

Warranty void if usued as landing beacon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But why a railroad company you might ask? So here is why: While transporting rocket parts, an employee of KNRF drew some plans for the engine. Later, someone in the company that makes the NERV found the plans and sent them to his superiours. They thought it was a good idea and thanks to the KNRF empoyyee signiong it (and being on KNRF branded paper) they gave some of the credit to KNRF. The KNRF employee's name was Tom, and he now lives a comtrable life thanks to the NERV making company giving him some share of the money.

my super duper late suggestion for a description:

After an intern at Jebediah Kerman's Junkyard and Spacecraft Parts Co got inspired by a movies about cars and deserts he decided that the new prototype of an extra large nuclear engine would be way cooler if it had a sawed-off nozzle. He was promptly fired after he was found cutting a engine nozzle in two.  Instead of giving up he instead  went undercover. He then modified, rebranded and shipped one of the NERVAs as a Mail Sail.
When the engine was found to have a unprecendented efficiency in the atmosphere plans were drawn to create a dual-purpose nuclear engine.
The undercover intern was promoted and granted the title employee of the month... right before his fake moustache fell off and he was emmediately kicked off company property.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2021 at 8:33 PM, cubinator said:

I don't think so. It might make it easy to get something we'd currently consider a "large" lander into orbit, which is something that approaches the limit of space exploration in KSP 1, but KSP 2 is a game where once you've done all that you have interstellar travel and proper interplanetary colonization to attempt. These goals are so far beyond what can normally be done in KSP 1 that I think engines like this that would be considered extremely overpowered in the first game will only be a stepping stone to what's possible in KSP 2. The challenge isn't in getting a single lander to a planet, it's moving a whole city there.

This, any engine capable of interstellar travel will make an joke of interplanetary travel.  Now you probably don't want to use interstellar ship that much because they are huge and expensive but this engine will be pretty low tech as in its something who could easy been build back in the 70's. 

I say it looks good, a bit large for an 2.5 meter engine compared with the Kerbal but that is just scaling. The bell is obviously not 2.5 meter. 
I assume we can move the extended nozzle up and down as this would be smart for an lander. 

On 6/27/2021 at 6:00 PM, Fullmetal Analyst said:

not sure but i think this engine will make the game too easy

When you're having to haul thousands of tons to orbit, it won't automatically make anything easier. A ship that zips across planets via brachistochrone trajectories will be subject to the same challenges as any other heavy ship in KSP 1.

On 6/27/2021 at 7:00 PM, Fullmetal Analyst said:

*cough* metastable metallic hydrogen engines *cough*. 

This either won't be a problem, or won't be a problem specific to the LANTR engine.

Go here, and try out Porkjet's LANTR engine mod for KSP, and tell me if you find it OP'd: 

Plus, radiation seems like it will be a concern in KSP2, thus this engine will be more limited than metastable metallic hydrogen engines.

So as far as gameplay, this should be less of a concern than what has already been shown.

Also, in terms of realism, its orders of magnitude more realistic.

There's no reason to criticise the inclusion of a LANTR engine into KSP2, as far as I can tell, without criticizing something else much much more.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.