[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

On 11/27/2022 at 1:13 PM, MARL_Mk1 said:

I would love to play JNSQ with Parallax. And if I had the knowledge and skills I'd be working on it already. I'm patiently waiting for a good samaritan within the community to do it instead to be honest.

Parallax is so good that at the moment I only contemplate on playing planet packs that have configs for it.

I currently got an install of KSRSS Reborn and it has configs for Parallax 2.0, so I guess if you are using Reborn, it should work.

https://github.com/coldrifting/JNSQ_ParallaxScatters

does anyone else have this problem?

when I turn on ultra quality shaders, everything flashes this yellow color. also, I can't get any grass to show up or anything like that. It's very frusterating. I have tried resetting the settings, taking off all my mods besides parallax, reinstalling parallax, but nothing fixes this, or shows grass on kerbin or anything.

xpTirrL.jpeg

18 minutes ago, NITRO-NINJA said:

how do I get grass, flowers, and other ground cover to show up? all kerbin has is your trees!

Make sure your terrain quality is set to High in the main menu, and that your Terrain Shader Quality is set to High or Ultra.

53 minutes ago, NITRO-NINJA said:

when I turn on ultra quality shaders, everything flashes this yellow color. also, I can't get any grass to show up or anything like that. It's very frusterating. I have tried resetting the settings, taking off all my mods besides parallax, reinstalling parallax, but nothing fixes this, or shows grass on kerbin or anything.

Can you send me your KSP.log file?

9 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Hello! Any idea what's wrong? Scatter objects are flashing..

Parallax-flashing.png

This happens when you use the wrong antialiasing type with hdr + bloom from tufx.  I recommend turning off antialiasing in scatterer and the stock game options and use temporal antialiasing in tufx instead.

13 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

This happens when you use the wrong antialiasing type with hdr + bloom from tufx.  I recommend turning off antialiasing in scatterer and the stock game options and use temporal antialiasing in tufx instead.

Thank you! Turning off stock AA fixed the problem. Although I might just remove TUFX.

So my Minmus still won't show the scatters, but does appear to load them in the log.

@GameslinxYou've mentioned a couple times to delete settings.cfg. Are you takling about the one in the root KSP folder? As I did so and no change. Should I just reinstall the plugin again and see what happens?

The only errors I see are lots of :

[ERR 00:58:47.197] Material doesn't have a texture property '_DispTex'

But this is true for scatters that do display normally. Suggestions welcome!

Edit: Literally reinstalled KSP and all mods to bring it to stock and still nothing on Minmus?!

Second edit: I think? I found the issue, see below:

Turns out your system doesn't like when minimumSubdivision at the body level matches that of a scatter. So by default, the stock config for Minmus sets that value to 7 for all cases. But if I set that value to 6 instead of 7 at the body level, e.g.:

ParallaxScatters
{
	body = Minmus
	minimumSubdivision = 6
	Scatter

Suddenly everything works!

Edited by Moose

On 11/28/2022 at 8:02 AM, Forland said:

This doesn't seem to work. The game gets stuck loading the title screen forever. Here's the log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9bnb5r3ycxwggj/KSP.log?dl=0

On 11/28/2022 at 2:30 PM, MARL_Mk1 said:

:O No way! Thanks!

Does this work for you? If so, what did you do to make it function?

2 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

This doesn't seem to work. The game gets stuck loading the title screen forever. Here's the log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9bnb5r3ycxwggj/KSP.log?dl=0

Does this work for you? If so, what did you do to make it function?

Ended up dropping my attempt at rebuilding a JNSQ install in 1.12.3, so couldn't even test it.

Many other stuff was completely broken and needed to look around for alternative patches for them all over the forum. Got tired and ran back to stock instead. Shame, cause I really liked JNSQ back then.

52 minutes ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

Ended up dropping my attempt at rebuilding a JNSQ install in 1.12.3, so couldn't even test it.

Many other stuff was completely broken and needed to look around for alternative patches for them all over the forum. Got tired and ran back to stock instead. Shame, cause I really liked JNSQ back then.

What other things were broken? I've had no trouble with JNSQ itself on 1.12. If planets look wrong or you're getting a weird lingering motion blur effect (both issues I've had recently), you're using the wrong version of Scatterer and need to revert back to 0.772.

Did the game load for you at all with these Parallax configs for JNSQ? The reason I ask that is because it doesn't load at all for me, it gets stuck forever on a loading screen after mods and patches are loaded but before reaching the title screen.

Edited by septemberWaves

27 minutes ago, septemberWaves said:

What other things were broken? I've had no trouble with JNSQ itself on 1.12. If planets look wrong or you're getting a weird lingering motion blur effect (both issues I've had recently), you're using the wrong version of Scatterer and need to revert back to 0.772.

Did the game load for you at all with these Parallax configs for JNSQ? The reason I ask that is because it doesn't load at all for me, it gets stuck forever on a loading screen after mods and patches are loaded but before reaching the title screen.

It did load yes, but didn't have the chance to see it they worked properly.

For starters, kerbin was an awful vibrant greenish color, after that terrain detail reset itself to some "New Text" or whatever name the option had,  and a few more after which I just said "screw it".

1 hour ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

It did load yes, but didn't have the chance to see it they worked properly.

For starters, kerbin was an awful vibrant greenish color, after that terrain detail reset itself to some "New Text" or whatever name the option had,  and a few more after which I just said "screw it".

The colour is a Kopernicus issue. There's a patch called "colourfix" that you can download separately from Kopernicus releases on Github, and put in your GameData folder.

Also, what version of Parallax were you using when you tested the JNSQ patch? I'm trying to figure out why it's not loading for me, and I don't know how to diagnose issues from log files so I'm basically just dependent on guesswork at this point until someone can provide me with a concrete answer.

14 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

The colour is a Kopernicus issue. There's a patch called "colourfix" that you can download separately from Kopernicus releases on Github, and put in your GameData folder.

Also, what version of Parallax were you using when you tested the JNSQ patch? I'm trying to figure out why it's not loading for me, and I don't know how to diagnose issues from log files so I'm basically just dependent on guesswork at this point until someone can provide me with a concrete answer.

Was the latest one, don't remember messing with Parallax's configs too much.

Given that KSRSS Reborn is here already and has proper configs for Prallax, and having it being the same size as JNSQ on it's default scale, it's a better alternative than JNSQ nowadays

Edited by MARL_Mk1

2 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

Where are the configs for it? Also, to be clear, this is the correct thread, right?

It is. Reborn's latest build can be found here

For Parallax 2.0 to work properly, just follow what the message below says

Edited by MARL_Mk1

First attempt at using this high mod with a great reputation, downloaded it this morning but have the same problems as Ian John and septemberWaves:

- tells me I am missing shaderbank cfd

- doesnt load the game, just stays on loading screen forever.

Probably related - that unzipping the Parallax_ScatterTextures file will create a Parallax_StockTextures folder, and not an expected Parallax_ScatterTextures folder.

=====

Edit - got now, the installation instructions are wrong on both the github page and also the InstallationInstructions.txt

When they say "Move the ... Parallax_ScatterTextures folders to your install's GameData folder", what they really mean is "Merge the contents of the new Parallax_StockTextures folder with the existing Parallax_StockTextures folder."

Edited by kingtutn
More info.