Are Craft Files from KSP 1 (and KerbalX) Usable in KSP2?

I don't know if this question's already been asked. If it has, please direct me to the answer. Thank you.

• And if this is not the right place to ask this question, please take me to whatever is.

That being said, would we be able to use our craft files from KSP - or, for that matter, craft we downloaded from KerbalX - in KSP2?

Sure, none of my craft are designed to go interstellar , but I figured I can start gathering money and science points quickly by using my already-proven-successful spacecraft to explore Kerbin and then the rest of the Kerbol system immediately afterwards. I already have a solid starter plane in my hangar, for instance, so the mid-air and surface surveys should be a snap. Some planets can be easily reached by my SSTOs as well, so there's a huge money-saver right there. 

• At the very least, I can take my first steps into space exploration (again) without having to endure the headaches and test runs associated with starting from scratch. God knows how much we all hate those.
  • When I do go interstellar, I may end up taking some parts of the old design (e.g. relay antenna, ore survey satellite, mobile base, plane) and slap it on the new spacecraft.
    • After all, if I already have a working end-item, then all I would really need is a way to get said end-item to the target.
  • If nothing else, at least KerbalX would still have some use for both games after KSP2 comes out.
    • It could also host the new interstellar bases, spacecraft, et cetera.

I hope we can, or else we're all doomed to severe migraines in the first steps alone. 

• Also, on a related note, would MechJeb be compatible with KSP2 - and would it work in the same way as it did in KSP (embedded in command module)?

No. Anything KSP 1 is not compatible with KSP 2. 

Especially considering that there are no more wing segments. Instead we have procedural wings. So your planes won't load up anyway, even if craft files were to be comaptiable.

There may be a way to make a mod that changes the KSP 1 parts into their KSP 2 counterparts while removing the obsolete parts, but I doubt it. That would take a lot of work. 

Sorry, but you're going have to deal with the 'migraine' of starting from scratch. 

Edited by GoldForest

I guess, it will be possible to write craft file converter. I don't think KSP-2 craft file format will be something intricate. And KSP-1 craft file format is just structured text.

Hardest thing will be to transfer connections between parts, if in KSP-2 we will have more "connection freedom" than in KSP-1.

Edited by pss88

6 minutes ago, pss88 said:

I guess, it will be possible to write craft file converter. I don't think KSP-2 craft file format will be something intricate. And KSP-1 craft file format is just structured text.

Hardest thing will be to transfer connections between parts, if in KSP-2 we will have more "connection freedom" than in KSP-1.

I think the main issue of a craft file converter will be that KSP2 doesn't seem to have wing segments. Converting a bunch of wing segments into one procedural wing may will be difficult, if not impossible.

25 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

I think the main issue of a craft file converter will be that KSP2 doesn't seem to have wing segments. Converting a bunch of wing segments into one procedural wing may will be difficult, if not impossible.

You don't really have to. You can keep them as segments. It wouldn't be as elegant, but it's hard to come up with something generic enough to handle all the weird ways people have used wings in KSP.

We don't - and can't - know. I seriously doubt the game will just open them, but I could see an official (with caveats about 'this might not work on all vessels') or community-made (with no such caveat but we all know it'd fail a bunch) tool for just such a conversion.

I also seriously doubt that the part stats are enough the same that the automatically converted vessels will run at all well.

But I can guarantee you that the tool that will do the conversions the best is already released. It's your brain and when it has access to the new VAB you can convert all the vessels you want.

Edited by Superfluous J

You can't, but additionally you won't be gathering money anyway. It's not a thing in KSP 2 anymore. And science isn't in the first version of early access, so we don't know yet how the science system will work. But I hope they won't simple copy the KSP 1 system and duplicate the parts. I really want science parts to be stashed away more neatly, more passive collection and definitely less biome hopping.

9 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Sorry, but you're going have to deal with the 'migraine' of starting from scratch. 

Assuming there is one, even if you have to rebuild stuff. If you've already tested and successfully flown your rockets in KSP 1, then it should just be a matter of copying what you did in KSP 1 and weeding out any rebalancing problems due to it being a completely different game. That shouldn't be anywhere near the headache designing a craft from scratch would be.