[1.12.x][WIP] K-38 Crew Return Vehicle

Smallant55

KASA

Kerbal Aeronautics and 

Space Administration

K-38 CRV

[1.12.x][WIP]

FnwZZuMWYAE_YBJ.png

-This mod aims to add parts from the NASA concept and tested X-38 Crew Return Vehicle (CRV), that was proposed as a crew return vehicle from the ISS. This mod adds stock-alike X-38 parts with compatibility with several popular mods such as Habtech, SOCK, Knes, and others. This vehicle was designed to fulfill the role of an emergency crew return vehicle, supporting 7 kerbals on their journey back home.

Huge thanks to @UCTech for their help with producing this mod with me!

Image credit: @brickmack

This mod will have Waterfall support planned for RCS and engines.
The K-38 will be updated regularly, so check back often for updates.

Edited by Smallant55
Edited topic info

On 3/9/2023 at 11:47 PM, Smallant55 said:

KASA

Kerbal Aeronautics and 

Space Administration

K-38 CRV

[1.12.x][WIP]

-This mod aims to add parts from the NASA concept and tested X-38 Crew Return Vehicle (CRV), that was proposed as a crew return vehicle from the ISS. This mod adds stock-alike X-38 parts with compatibility with several popular mods such as Habtech, SOCK, Knes, and others. This vehicle was designed to fulfill the role of an emergency crew return vehicle, supporting 7 kerbals on their journey back home.

X-38 is one of my favorite spacecraft, I'm extremely happy to see a mod for it finally. I've got very high hopes here!

7 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Is it planned to make it compatible to SOCK?

It is ya! Compatible with SOCK, Habtech, Knes and many other popular mods. The main docking area will share the same size as the Habtech2's C-100 docking port if you like using that.

7 hours ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

X-38 is one of my favorite spacecraft, I'm extremely happy to see a mod for it finally. I've got very high hopes here!

Thanks! We're super excited to be working on this. Im a huge fan of lifting body style vehicles.

Work on the docking port area of the vehicle. Images from @UCTech
hatch.PNG

open.PNGtest.PNG

2 hours ago, Smallant55 said:

It is ya! Compatible with SOCK, Habtech, Knes and many other popular mods. The main docking area will share the same size as the Habtech2's C-100 docking port if you like using that.

Thanks! We're super excited to be working on this. Im a huge fan of lifting body style vehicles.

Work on the docking port area of the vehicle. Images from @UCTech
hatch.PNG

open.PNGtest.PNG

Jesus :0.0: That's awesome!

...if you say need some release pictures, you know where to find me ;)

New updates to the TPS and thermal blankets. Open docking hatch can also be seen. 

Our plan is to also have B9PartSwitch functionality and include several conformal decal options for the player to switch between. 
We want the vehicle to be completely customizable so we'll include lots of decal options. (Real decals/kerbalized decals/no decals)
A similar example would be the decal switching on SOCK

crv_gen_2.PNG

Edited by Smallant55

The X-38 CRV was planned to be brought to the ISS in the space shuttle's cargo bay. 
The X-38 was meant to be brought up during construction of the ISS and serve as a semi-permanent lifeboat for the crew.

We're going to try and get the K-38 CRV to be able to be brought up to a station in the SOCK shuttle bay.
We also plan on creating an adapter to allow for mounting the K-38 CRV to a launch vehicle for orbital insertion.
Here's a picture of the X-38 CRV being brought up to the ISS during construction. Note the shuttle's robotic arm moving the X-38 CRV into position. 

We are also planning to add a few nodes on the K-38's DPS/Service module to allow for Habtech's grapple fixtures to be able to attach to.

Capture.PNG

New burn/wear marks added to the front nosecone. Also changed the shape of the grey nosecone TPS to be more rounded.

crv_gen_4.PNG

Edited by Smallant55

Updated the textures to include a “worn” TPS variant.

We have also done some work to include a drogue/main parachute bay, and have started work on control surfaces. 

An early concept IVA is also in the works.
Gen_6.PNG

On 3/23/2023 at 3:55 PM, UCTech said:

Some game photos

screenshot19.png

screenshot21.png

I think the worn textures take it from stock-alike to realism in my mind by how it looks.

On 3/14/2023 at 10:28 AM, Smallant55 said:

New alternative variant

Gen_5_Alt.PNG?width=1363&height=670

Having it closer to the above might make it fit in better with BDB, KNES, Tantares etc. But if it is a texture switch option that would still be cool.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2023 at 5:47 PM, Smallant55 said:

KASA

Kerbal Aeronautics and 

Space Administration

K-38 CRV

[1.12.x][WIP]

FnwZZuMWYAE_YBJ.png

Image credit: @brickmack

Definitely got my eye on this!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/17/2023 at 3:54 PM, ItsJustLuci said:

Is there anywhere I can get my hands on this, or is it still in a pre-pre-release state?

We're still working on it. I will admit progress stalled a little bit over the summer, but we're back to working on it. Honestly not a whole lot left to do for this, and we'll try and get it out there in a beta state soon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.