Looking to patch 2

mcwaffles2003

From steam:

3bfe70e9e372c7b2a9e654eb2f05f9aa07e6e02d.png

Hello fellow Kerbonauts!

Okay, we've got a date for the v0.1.2.0 patch - it'll arrive next Wednesday, April 12. We'll post patch notes on that day as well. There's a nice blend of performance, stability, UI, and visual improvements, and we think these add up to a significantly improved KSP2 experience. One unheralded improvement, in addition to the 

- the nighttime lighting at KSC has taken a big step forward:

e2e1e803dba98fcbc83e5e586ad36116698cd1d1.png

Meanwhile, we're continuing to work on upcoming Science Mode features, re-entry and thermal systems, and of course ongoing improvements to performance and stability. We've also begun some investigations into improving the currently wobbly rocket situation, and we should have more to discuss on that subject soon.

For today's 

, we're going to Eve! Until the future arrival of re-entry heating, you've got a great opportunity to do a little low-risk sightseeing (and if you visit after next Wednesday, you'll get to experience Eve's stunning new height fog, as well):

6a8c9385d7381f8bad9fb664e45dcdffa9ccd29c.png

Also, check out this week's 

. So many amazing creations this week! There's also a 

!

I'm heading out for a few days' rest in a place that has sunshine, which means next week's updates will be made by guest writers. Please be nice to them, but also don't be so nice to them that my bosses decide I shouldn't do the posts anymore. Please be medium nice to them.

See you in two weeks!

So patch 2 is supposed to come out tomorrow. Some point's about this that I find notable:

• There's a nice blend of performance, stability, UI, and visual improvements
  • We've also begun some investigations into improving the currently wobbly rocket situation, and we should have more to discuss on that subject soon.

I think the leap forward patch one gave over 0.1.0 was considerable, what do you guys think is in store with patch 2? Will we see any significant performance improvements? Do you think we will see anywhere near as many bugs squashed as in patch 1?

18 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I think the leap forward patch one gave over 0.1.0 was considerable, what do you guys think is in store with patch 2? Will we see any significant performance improvements? Do you think we will see anywhere near as many bugs squashed as in patch 1?

The bulk (not all) of the critical game-breakers were fixed in 0.1.1.  At least based on the survey from just after release, the community's next big priority is performance, so I'm hoping this is where the primary focus has been for this patch.  I have my doubts as the switch from PQS is a big job, and Intercept likely doesn't want to spend time fixing a planet system they're abandoning.

For people with 3080/4070ti or better, performance hasn't really been an issue, though that's only a small percent of players according to the steam survey.  I very strongly suspect the abysmal performance is why the previous head of engineering was let go right after release.  Reviews are still abysmal, and that's very unlikely to change while 97% of players are below the spec that can run KSP 2 as smoothly as other current titles on Steam.

Edited by Chilkoot

It's "Mixed" and should be treated as such.

Take a look at recently released TLoU, it was SO BAD it haven't passed KSP2 in percentage of positive reviews even after a couple of patches. It was at 33% (which is "mostly negative" btw) at the time I was checking, hours after release. That was abysmal.

1 hour ago, Chilkoot said:

For people with 3080/4070ti or better, performance hasn't really been an issue, though that's only a small percent of players according to the steam survey.

I'm crossing my fingers so I don't jinx myself, but...

I've got a 2060 super, and I haven't had any performance issues.  I'm running at roughly 20-22 fps most of the time, with the only really noticeable dip being when I have ships that are closing in on hundreds of parts.  Perhaps I'm lucky that my machine is threading things properly, using the GPU, CPU, and RAM the way they were intended to be used.

With that said, any enhancements to performance will only make my experience better.  :)

Edited by Scarecrow71

2 minutes ago, gussi111 said:

Shouldn't the update have come out 40 minutes ago? 

If it's on the same schedule as the last patch, which I believe was 10 AM PT, then we're still about 20 minutes out.

Then again, who really knows what is going on at TT/IG/PD right now?  4/12 could be any time between now and midnight in the western-most time zone for all we know.

3 minutes ago, LeroyJenkins said:

There is no set time for patch release. 10am MT is just an assumption based on when Patch 1 was released.

Might aswell be delayed. They are testing the update now from what can be seen, may not even come today if problems arise.

I already expected the patch notes to be here, but also nothing.

Edited by Ferio

2 minutes ago, Ferio said:

I already expected the patch notes to be here, but also nothing

Agreed, I would think the notes get posted first, then the patch becomes available. Watching Discord and nothing posted for patch notes yet either......

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I'm crossing my fingers so I don't jinx myself, but...

I've got a 2060 super, and I haven't had any performance issues.  I'm running at roughly 20-22 fps most of the time, with the only really noticeable dip being when I have ships that are closing in on hundreds of parts.  Perhaps I'm lucky that my machine is threading things properly, using the GPU, CPU, and RAM the way they were intended to be used.

With that said, any enhancements to performance will only make my experience better.  :)

I'm hoping the same thing. The last patch killed my fps to unplayable levels.

I'm running a 1060 and the last patch cut my performance in half while removing the "performance hogs" of clouds and shadows. Went from 18-24fps to 8-12fps. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.