What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I made a small, 1-seat runabout VTOL.  From a maximum of 450m/s and 5000m during the crossing from KSC to Airbase Island, it then made a pinpoint vertical landing the foundations of a ruined building.  It can also take off and land horizontally if needed, and does reasonably good aerobatics.  Quite a fun little ride.  Now all my Kerbals want one :)

Scoot 01

36 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

I made a small, 1-seat runabout VTOL.  From a maximum of 450m/s and 5000m during the crossing from KSC to Airbase Island, it then made a pinpoint vertical landing the foundations of a ruined building.  It can also take off and land horizontally if needed, and does reasonably good aerobatics.  Quite a fun little ride.  Now all my Kerbals want one :)

Scoot 01

What are all the sticky outie bits, like in front of the canopy there and on top of the fin?

Tested a proposed Moho miner on the Mun - it only used about 1/3 of its fuel load to land, so I figure its going to be a good ship to use on Moho.

The mothership (SS Grange) is an old mega-tanker with fairly low TWR but what I believe (in my Kerbalish "do things by gut feeling" way) to be a tremendously excessive fuel capacity.

Aldger Kerman is overseeing the Valentina Bay mining operation on Minmus and will coordinate 2 mining vessels to refuel the SS Grange requiring maybe 8 runs of 6000 ore.

Meanwhile, consideration is being given to sending a prison ship to Ike to arrest Orpond Kerman for theft of the previous Minmus mining ship Oretrain. The plan is currently under tight wraps however due to a large amount of public sympathy amongst more logical Kerbals who can see that Oretrain was far better suited to Ike mining than any of the other ships which were sent there. Indeed many see Orpond Kerman as a hero for breathing new life into operations at Cypress Hill Station.

14 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

What are all the sticky outie bits, like in front of the canopy there and on top of the fin?

Those are the itty bitty Jaguar get engines for the Jetwing in @Angel-125's "Buffalo" mod.  EXCELLENT RCS devices for VTOLs using @allista's Throttle Controlled Avionics.

Nothing much happening today.

screenshot4031jg.jpg

The team is circlelizing their orbit. Easy and meticulously. They can take their time. Laythe is on its way into Jool's shadow, and there won't be any landing until they're out on the other side, in the sun again.

screenshot4030jg.jpg

There will be one or two lame, meaningless pictures here later. But I can't run image software at the same time as KSP, I've only got 6 GB in my laptop.

Edited by Vermil
Added lame images

Well, this was done quite a while ago, but only now I've git to editing the report

Energia-LEK - multilaunch long-term lunar mission

Spoiler

energia___lek_by_alchemist_ch-d9y6bad.pn

Lunar Expeditional Complex (ЛЭК - Лунный Экспедиционный Комплекс) is a long-term multilaunch lunar mission project. Derived from lunar base project proposed for N1F, this scheme became the primary lunar mission option for Energia (incidentally, both launch vehicles had almost the same payload capacity).
Not to be confused with single-launch direct-ascent Lunar Expeditional Craft (Лунный Экспедиционный Корабль) proposed for Vulkan launch vehicle.

All the crafts are launched on 3-stage configuration of Energia (Энергия) rocket (designed to launch heavy payloads to highly elliptic, translunar and interplanetary trajectories)

• First (4 boosters, O2/kerosene) and second (O2/H2) stages are ignited on the launch pad.
  • Second stage puts its payload on suborbital trajectory (with about 200 m/s needed for circularization)
  • Third stage and the payload are encompassed in a side-mounted payload container that split-opens after separation from the second stage (couldn't fully replicate this with stock fairings)
  • Third stage (O2/H2, multiple 0-g ignitions) completes the orbit insertion and then makes the TLI burn

The crafts (in reverse order):

Orbital craft:

• crew capacity: 5-6
  • Similar shape to 7K-L1, but about twice the size
  • Launched last.
  • The only craft launched manned - delivers crew to the lander and brings them back to Earth.
  • 2 dockings with the lander in lunar orbit
  • 1 or 2 cosmonauts stay in the orbital craft to perform experiments in lunar orbit while the rest of the crew lands on the surface.
  • The entire habitable volume is the recoverable capsule
  • The capsule most likely shares some elements with Zarya capsule (proposed for Zenit rocket), however the degree of similarity isn't specified. The powered landing system of Zarya may be not applicable to the lunar craft (the replica features more conventional Soyuz-style landing system)

Lander:

• crew capacity: 4-5
  • Separate landing and ascent stages (existing sketches also show it having shape very similar to Apollo LM).
  • Launched unmanned to lunar orbit (near-equatorial retrograde parking orbit) before the launch of the manned craft.
  • The crew is delivered by the orbital craft, then the lander lands on the surface.
  • Ascent stage brings the crew back to orbit, where they transfer back to the orbital craft.
  • Larger than achievable in most single-launch projects, the lander carries supplies for longer missions and more scientific equipment.
  • Mission duration in 2-launch option: 10-15 days on the surface.
  • The landing stage is capable of delivering its payload to the surface in a single launch (unlike most other multilaunch projects), therefore the scheme is easily expandable.

Additional craft:

• Optional third launch.
  • Uses the same landing stage as the lander, but has more payload instead of the ascent stage.
  • Launched unmanned and reaches the landing site before other launches.
  • Additional supplies allow to extend the mission duration (1-month on the surface in 3-launch option).
  • The options for the third craft range from a supply freighter (with the lander providing the habitation) to a habitable base module (so that the lander acts only as crew and supply delivery vehicle). In the latter case the module might be reused by future expeditions.
  • The module demonstrated in the replica is LZhM - Laboratory and Habitation Module (ЛЖМ - Лабораторно-Жилой Модуль).
  • The mission architecture is easily expandable to a permanent lunar base with multiple modules and supply crafts launched in addition to the manned vehicles.

Additional notes: the interval between consequent launches of Energia is likely to be around 2 weeks. The launch complex for Energia family of rockets was based upon N1 launch complex and it allowed launching rockets of this class with 2 week interval (from different pads - restoring the pad after N1 launch would take entire month, however with Energia family this was most likely reduced by changing launch pad configuration). That means the interval between first and third launches in 3-launch scheme would be about a month.

23 hours ago, eddiew said:

B8uOuWt.jpg

...yup :) 

Also... an easter egg I have never noticed before :o  Unfortunately I'm using Engineering Tech Tree and I don't yet have the capacity to target it for a closer look. Finding this little guy was total luck, but I shall be heading back out here as soon as I have some kind of plane :) 

kHX92Zn.jpg

You should tag the images as a Spoiler.  :)

Today I designed and launched an Ike mission. It will bring Jeb, Bill, Bob, and Val to Ike's surface and back, and I will likely have a huge amount of leftover fuel that I may be able to do something with.

I will now ruin that inspirational sunrise for you by informing you that the ship is called the "Ike'ant Believe It's Not Mun!" Yes, really.

Here is a fake movie poster made in MS Paint with one of the screenshots:

YQj0SCE.jpg

Edited by cubinator

Did two things, actually... first, I changed Kersplat Aerospace Industries logo from the one I had been using to the new one...

YgHZ4OK.png

Then I promptly used it on a new aircraft created using 1.1, the Kersplat Hornet Mk 1:

Testing out the airbag landing method that was used for Opportunity and Spirit rovers. Now to get it to Mars....

ffZ5w4V.jpg

06pyIdQ.jpg

Album: http://imgur.com/a/xRpO0

Animated Gif of test drop and rover deployment: http://i.imgur.com/9Cpfhyp.gifv

Mods: FASA - Airbags (floats), Speedy's Hex Truss System -Triangle sections, Infernal robotics, procedural parts, Dmagic Orbital Science, Kerbal Foundries - Tracks, Vens Stock Part Revamp.

Edited by hellblazer

Minmus Base somewhat complete. Kind of frustrating experience assembling this on wheels in a low gravity environment. Next contract asks for an Ike base... I have to think over that. With that kind of layout, support for 3 kerbals over 120 days is provided. Not suitable for long range mission.

JPOttdr.png

16 minutes ago, hendrack said:

Minmus Base somewhat complete. Kind of frustrating experience assembling this on wheels in a low gravity environment. Next contract asks for an Ike base... I have to think over that. With that kind of layout, support for 3 kerbals over 120 days is provided. Not suitable for long range mission.

JPOttdr.png

Something about the ground texture and the way the color changes as you get near the top of that picture makes that look like it's not a Minmus base, but an underwater Kerbin one. I actually was wondering if the Solar Panels still worked :D

Edited by 5thHorseman

2 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Something about the ground texture and the way the color changes as you get near the top of that picture makes that look like it's not a Minmus base, but an underwater Kerbin one. I actually was wondering if the Solar Panels still worked :D

It is Minmus (KSPRC with modified configs), but you Sir just gave me an awesome idea. :D