What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I did some maths on the energy at Sarnus' apoapsis and found that I could keep a probe alive and running, and even charge the batteries, with two of the larger SSTU panels I had available. I apparently also have a terameter antenna in the form of a science experiment so talking to it wouldn't be a problem either. So much for "progression" (actually I don't really buy into that but whatever).

The launcher for the Duna lander was recycled and named "Copperhead", capable of 13.5 tons to LKO. It's a finicky beast that I find kind of hard to fly, mainly due to anemic TWRs on all stages. Still, I get it to orbit just fine. You can see how the RD-0110 requires off-prograde thrust to raise the apoapsis. Terrible.

Once I finished the transfer burn I fine-tuned the encounter and got a pleasant surprise, an encounter with Urlum (on second thought not really a surprise because the transfer window is only a few days after the Sarnus window...) Some quick math showed that the probe could survive that far out, but it wouldn't be very happy; I can at least get some data but it will take a long time before I retrieve it. Tons of fuel left as well, I might play with the maneuver nodes and see what else I can do with this thing, maybe try for Neidon or sling back in for a Jool or Eve or Moho pass, although the inner system will probably have been long visited before this thing comes back there. It'll already be scraping by out at Urlum so I'll probably see if I can catch Jool or Dres instead of shooting for further out.

N78UvGj.png

5PXAHBU.png

7oWhqNx.png

fdgLhoM.png

This game's first lunar crewed mission to Iota in GPP. Went Apollo-style with the command capsule flipping around to grab the lander and then planning lunar rendezvous. There's enough fuel for at least 2 landings.

vAwdEpt.png

XAeY6UA.png

AigAeSh.png

PIgz8mG.png

d5Vlg5C.png

hAtZmgz.png

Edited by Tyko

I... haven't played KSP in a couple weeks...;.;

I had to get a round of Civilization 6 out of my system. I only played long enough to nuke the everloving crap out of Ghandi! ...and, er, Japan... :blush: But they started it! And America... and Russia... and France... anyway, I won. :D

Now I'm gearing up for a new mission report series based on a 6.4x playthru of @Galileo's planet pack.:cool: Looking for a modified tech tree with an early emphasis on aircraft/unmanned, any suggestions?

Also...

... my memories are fractured... like a dream... or a nightmare...

...the experiment... went wrong...

...and the skies here... are very strange...

ZImiJ99.png

(Credit to @Ten Key for the flag & @JadeOfMaar for the skybox)

1 hour ago, flatbear said:

the only problem is that when I reach 78k meters, the whole thing flips over and the heat shield acts more like an umbrella than a heat shield and then my ship blows up because of heat and aero.  I know realize that this is because my ship is unbalanced but is there anyway to save my ship without writing it off as a total loss?

If you can, move the CoM closer to the heat shield, that might help... 

4 hours ago, flatbear said:

the only problem is that when I reach 78k meters, the whole thing flips over and the heat shield acts more like an umbrella than a heat shield and then my ship blows up because of heat and aero.  I know realize that this is because my ship is unbalanced but is there anyway to save my ship without writing it off as a total loss?

You still have half a tank worth of fuel. First, airbrake to near circularization by going down to 80km and no lower. Burn the rest of fuel in active braking before 80km. Dump the propulsion module, airbrake behind the heatshield for as long as you can. Extend these landing legs, they are very draggy. By the time you flip you should be slow enough to survive.

I've do a my second tripulated Duna landing with my brand new "Kerbol pioneer" that is a spaceship that can get to any planet or moon. And this was the test flight to Duna. I've waste half of the fuel on it! The first stage was 5 vector engines and two twin-boars. 

With asparagus staging I've get it to orbit and then with a mainsail and 6 nuclear engines I've do the trip to Duna and there Jebediah landed on Duna in it's lander. Now I've need to get him to Home :0.0:

8 hours ago, flatbear said:

I've seen somebody make an attempt where they had airbags on both ends; might be hard to implement in your case. I think @-M-TheDoctor's advise is probably your best bet.

(1.1.3) RL really killed off my time yesterday, so not a lot happened. First thing I did was set a KAC timer for when the most recent craptastic contract being offered will expire, so I'd know when to go look for something (hopefully) better. Next up was the return of the ore hauler Nostromo and the ferry craft The Great Artiste to the Kerbinport space station from space station Dunaport (which is still going to remain in Kerbin's orbit for the next five days). Both rendezvouses were pretty standard and the station had sufficient reserve fuel to refill the tanks of The Great Artiste, though an Auk III tanker plane run may be in order to take care of Nostromo.

Next, I sent the Old Bessie 7 fuel hauler at Mün on another trip to bring fuel from the Piper Alpha refinery to the Munport space station. I came down two klicks short of the refinery on my first try but had sufficient fuel to make a hop over; I quicksaved and attempted the hop. On the first try, I got the burn just a little too good - I wound up ramming Old Bessie into the rover MIRV, blowing most of the lander and kicking MIRV right into the refinery, which suffered catastrophic damage. Ordinarily I wouldn't report on my failures, but in this particular case the carnage was so spectacular that I felt it worth documenting:

7hCbNdw.png
Aftermath of the disaster at Piper Alpha. MIRV (right) is still "airborne" in this screenie, having ricocheted off the refinery's radiator and solar panels. If you look real hard you can see a large SAS wheel just above and to the left of the refinery; that was all that remained of Old Bessie...

Occurs to me that I probably could've put the refinery back into operation, and that I didn't bother to check to see if I busted any wheels on MIRV - in fact, the rover itself still appears to be mostly intact. Old Bessie was really the crux of the Munar refueling operation I had set up, though, and with it gone, well...

I reverted and tried again; got a better result, with the lander now parked intact within fifty meters of the refinery. First order of business today will be to refill it and send it back up to Munport. I think I want to do one more fuel run today as well, but after that I won't have much to do until Next Objective reaches Minmus in four days. And then after that, it's pucker time...

Prototyping an Ares I style launcher.

The tapered segment at the bottom of the SRB is normally something I do purely for looks, but in this case it holds monoprop for the vernier thrusters. Handy, since RCS fuel feeds with stage priority; it's only filled enough to be about empty when it's dropped.

9eb64293b8.png

Procedural SRB is 1.5x20m and produces 950kN for 95 seconds (vacuum stats). Loaded sea level TWR is 1.3.

fc2fbb78b8.png

The comically oversized deorbit motor is just a dummy payload. Upper stage is nearly identical to the modular Shenzhen's 2.5m service module.

8f6cd1696f.png

Final vehicle — Huixian. 5.5 tons to 250km circular orbit.

844fd926ee.png

Edited by Guest

I've got good news and bad.. Good: My 'bug' for the 2017 Dakar runs GREAT! I was able to hit 50.1 m/s on a downhill, and for an all-electric car, I think that's pretty darn good. 

Bad: The darn thing rolls around like... well... A bug. I made it to Stage 2 before the thing decided to breakdance and snap off the front nose, which has the wheels on it... On takes 2-500, the thing just wrecked on the Stage 1 mini-hills. I'm thinking the springs are too stiff, so after some adjustments and a change from nose-cone to steel plating, I think the bug's going to make it... I hope...

Oh, also; (I know @Triop's going to HATE this,) But I FORGOT to quick save and so I couldn't just re-try stage 2... bleh

Edited by DarkOwl57

Today I have mostly been making planes.

The resemblance to the A-12 Oxcart is not an accident.
37914b528663523.jpg

Max speed is around 1,360m/s under 20k and can reach around 26k. Turning under 400m/s is surprisingly good, though any manoeuvring above 600m/s needs to be done carefully or it will start to shed parts. Mostly the wings, and that is apparently a bad thing. :confused:

We did not land on the moon today.  We faked this, obviously.  Look, all the shadows are wrong and no one saw the launch and there are no technical documents to be found in the public domain that anyone can read if they want.  Plus, it's just simply not possible to get to the moon cuz Kerbin is flat.  And that docking to some fictional space station in orbit around the moon?  Pure haberdashery.  Just an artist rendering done on Kotoshop.  Pure governmental PR - for some strange reason they want us to think they can put stuff in space. when clearly it is just not possible to do so.

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-25%20at%205.28.3

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-25%20at%205.43.4

1 minute ago, justidutch said:

We did not land on the moon today.  We faked this, obviously.  Look, all the shadows are wrong and no one saw the launch and there are no technical documents to be found in the public domain that anyone can read if they want.  Plus, it's just simply not possible to get to the moon cuz Kerbin is flat.  And that docking to some fictional space station in orbit around the moon?  Pure haberdashery.  Just an artist rendering done on Kotoshop.  Pure governmental PR - for some strange reason they want us to think they can put stuff in space. when clearly it is just not possible to do so.

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-25%20at%205.28.3

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-25%20at%205.43.4

exactly, I mean who took those photos?

6 minutes ago, Leafbaron said:

exactly, I mean who took those photos?

Obviously some amateur; I can see a watermark in the corner! Oh, and it looks like they dropped some paint on the picture! I mean, what are those white spots?! I say that this technology is just too-far out of reach for our society... :wink:

Just installed @Angel-125's M.O.L.E. and am having a lot of fun with it. I'm using it as a cheaty way to put a lab on my Munbase without having to drag a 2.5 metre heavy beast of a lab to it. I still have to get the base 7500 units of liquid fuel and 6000 units of electric charge. I'm thinking about installing pathfinder for the on-site base building it adds in, as I like having a reason for my kerbals to go on EVA. Also, the parts are really useful, cause I forgot to put solar panels on the base. Now I can use KIS to attach them to my power module.

4 hours ago, capi3101 said:

I've seen somebody make an attempt where they had airbags on both ends; might be hard to implement in your case. I think @-M-TheDoctor's advise is probably your best bet.

I did it recently. A tiny but massive lander (land ore for contract) pancaked between two inflatable heatshields, so the whole thing looked like UFO. Worked great in the hot atmosphere, then the shields slipped against each other and the whole thing began spinning, edges of shields acting as blades of a turbine. Luckily after decoupling the shields it stabilized itself, but these were some tense moments, as the whole craft got stretched so thin there were meter-wide gaps between the parts.

20 minutes ago, Triop said:

Testing my new drag racer, burned the wheels straight off, we call it a succes. :cool:

BCW3dG7.png

RSCMKIJ.png

Only Triop can send a dragster to space...

5 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Did you take Jeremy Clarkson's advice?

What, the "Looking good is more important then looking where you're going" Advice?

16 hours ago, flatbear said:

eve lander aerocapture attempt

Hi.

Please refer to this entry I did in December.

http://imgur.com/a/1g4YY  Imgur has the pictures ordered earliest at the bottom, latest at the top.

It looked like this:

eBHrAnl.png

ME