What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

7 hours ago, kurgut said:

my first helicopter

This ^ is ... a very big deal!!  Molto congratulations.

7 hours ago, kurgut said:

ugly as

I want to make a special mention of this for extra! kudos!  Ugly always makes me smile, particularly when it is perpetrated by someone other than myself (the usual suspect).  You are making people around you happy.  That's all I am going to say about that.

Edited by Hotel26

8 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

I want to make a special mention of this for extra! kudos!  Ugly always makes me smile, particularly when it is perpetrated by someone other than myself (the usual suspect).  You are making people around you happy.  That's all I am going to say about that.

Hahaha, that made me a good laugh   :D

yeah hopefully beauty is a subjective thing. Wait no, everything is beautiful in its essence, just depends from where your look at.. ^^

Cheers

On 5/17/2023 at 2:33 PM, chimera industries said:

Got totally sidetracked and made a Mun orbital surveyor. Using the rovemax probe core, (100% anomaly detection) I've found 7 or 8 anomalies so far. I also tried to make a lander designed for use in a vacuum but could also land like a space shuttle. It didn't work, so I took off the wings and turned it into a Duna lander. I'll have to decrease the thrust limiter on the engines, by a lot.  I won't be playing KSP for a while as I have a buttload of homework to do, mostly because I was playing KSP instead. Wish me luck, it's all due on Friday!

Good news! I finished (most) of that homework, so I can work on KSP now! I haven't really done a lot recently, but my current plans are:

1. Finish the lander design for my Jool 5. My plan is to use one lander for all moons but Laythe, with refuels of course. There will be 2 addon-modules, a rover for Vall and ISRU for Tylo. I think the aesthetic I want to go for is the lander from Europa Report.

Europa Report Concept Art

The Lander from Europa report. (Concept art only, as the film is shown through onboard cameras only and we don't get a good close look at it)

I think the Thud engine would be a pretty good choice to replicate the radial engines.

2. Actually get Laythe-Planes into orbit. Tweak design as needed.

3. Land billboard on Dres. Experiment with mounting the payload on the bottom.

4. Explore anomalies on the Mun and look for anomalies on other planets/ moons.

Extra notes: just get good at the game.

I made Plane Prime V2. For aesthetic and lore purposes, although this plane would perform better than the last one, I didn't expect this to be a suitable transport plane for Kerbin's Prime Minister - at least not forever.

• Right now, this is the current Plane Prime (V4 or V5; I haven't decided yet). 

ilAfmfW.png

• Plane Prime V2 on display in the SPH, along with its cargo inventory.
  • It originally had a conventional tailfin. However, after some crashing during test flights, I noticed that the last Plane Prime had a T tail and, by definition, raised elevators. I then decided to raise the elevators of this plane, although I wanted a different look for it besides the engines.

0Hfmq2z.png

• Just like its predecessor, it barely made it over Alt Test Mountains. 

4TYvpJ7.png

• This is the plane flying at my finalized cruising altitude and velocity

Plane Prime V2 (RETIRED)

Performance Stats

Crew Capacity

2 crew + 4 passengers

Power Plant

4 x J-33 "Wheesley"

Total Empty Cargo Capacity

9 (7 loaded + 2 empty)

Landing Gear Configuration

Tricycle

Cruising Altitude

5.9 km

Clear Alt Test Mountains?

YES

Cruising Surface Velocity

290 m/s

Expected Range

1,200 km

Takeoff Velocity

100 m/s

P55D78i.png

• Rare footage of Plane Prime V2 landing off-road with its reverse thrust activated.

M2VGUvQ.png

• Color photograph of Prime Minister Haparnold Kerman, who once served as an army air corps general, standing in front of Plane Prime after disembarking.
  • According to aides, Prime Minister Haparnold was still drowsy after just waking up from his nap when the plane landed. He had said that "I thought I’d get more time to sleep when we stopped to refuel for the last leg." Since all the (propeller-driven) transports he used to fly in during his military career couldn’t fly farther than 500 kilometers, he was surprised Plane Prime didn’t have to stop halfway through. He later made a point to "…listen to my wife more and actually go to sleep earlier."
    • And that was what kickstarted research into ways to fall asleep faster without resorting to medications.

Feel free to download my craft file and try it out for yourself. I'm in for quite the busy weekend IRL.

Today, I made and released a small QOL mod in regards to docking, to make it feel more natural and realistic, as well as challenging ! :) 
I was using that since a long time for myself, so I decided to share it !

Example video : (notice almost no crazy magnet kraken force is applied )

Cheers

Edited by kurgut

After some time adjusting ongoing mission gravity assists for Ke-Eve-Moho, my kerbal brain needed a well desereved plane break :

screenshot110.png

Jeb is indeed experimenting a new way interesting way of flying

screenshot158.png

He looks rather stoical, considering his situation

screenshot142.png

With this flight, I did complete a contract asking us to fly under the 2 bridges of the lvl3 R&D center, but I was so concentrated not blowing Jeb in 36 pieces that I forgot to take screenshots : / well he survived ! :D

After, I designed a folding lander/glider for Eve and tested it on Kerbin ! Here's the video, it flies ver well, even with no SAS and minimal control input !

This will be attached inside a 1.25m fairing, with a heatshield, itself attached to an orbiter.Upon entering Eve SOI, the reentry module will detach from the orbiter, and perform a direct Eve entry from its hyperbolic trajectory. Once passed the heat and fire things, the glider will detach and unfold its wings. It can also do incremental deploy, to control wing span and thus lift/drag.
Sweet goal would be to aim at a spot with a lot of biomes, and glide as long as possible ! I tested this on Eve and could achieve a landing at 7 m/s, so no landing gear needed ^^ And water or land are both fine : ) For comms, it uses a standard C 16-S, and will talk to the orbiter which has the bigger relay antenna.
It's in 0.625m size (using tweakscale), and weights ~500 kg ! :) 
Cheers

Edited by kurgut

Probes were launched to the moons of Gael.

First to Ceti.

shrd7Hn.png

Spoiler

Second stage start up.

Jze6HaY.png

And on station collecting the science.

V0OL0WS.png

Then to Iota.

sMKncCN.png

Spoiler

Coasting to trans Iota burn.

s8X1UI9.png

Finishing up the burn

VMvK59M.png

capture burn at Iota.

LROzR6r.png

Built a brand-new super heavy launch vehicle I call Biggo 2. The first launch was suborbital to demonstrate it could work, then the first orbital launch didn't go so well... ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Second attempt went much better!

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Deorbit to avoid cluttering LKO:

Biggo 2 deployed the NewStation space station to be visited by a krew at a later date. Oh yeah, I also built a capsule to take the krew up there!

I call it the Kraken Capsule. It rides atop a Falkon 9 rocket! Did pad abort tests:

Followed by an attempt at orbit...

Starts to tip...

Yeah, we're going down...

Slightly botched abort...

I got away!

Needs some work for sure.

On 5/18/2023 at 5:30 PM, N_Danger said:

After my JNSQ save started acting weird, 

Yeah me too... first Vizor 100 spawned 100m from where I left it... then the ground was moving after I took off and the map doesn't match what I see. I reload, and then plane is now 100 km away from the airport and it airdrops over the ocean! It was high enough to recover and pretend like nothing happened. 

Ej7vzCm.jpg

tBzCuty.jpg

More Vizor 100 pics... 

Spoiler

Found a secret facility...

edqLUvr.jpg

JSKIhOg.png

TNG4t9I.jpg

Landing 290 tons on a dirt strip is not easy... LEYY6QC.jpg

2nd attempt is good

FQy4Tn3.jpg

tGh7TXb.jpgcsxnWNe.jpg

I combined contracts to take 10 tourists to Minmus, rescue a kerbonaut and return 2400 ore to Krebin. I used LJP410 lander to haul the ore up to LMO along with the tourists (it launched with them aboard). Then I launched a return probe "Fire Mushroom" and met them in LMO.

2nd bug happened with the inflatable docking port placed in EVA construction wasn't a port at all. No magnetic attraction, wouldn't connect. So I had to use KML to hack my save file to change a spare docking port junior in storage into a full size port and then replace the inflatable port with that one... then it worked.  

Tqye5hm.jpg

More pics from the mission:

Spoiler

HpHgO5b.png

Stupid port wouldn't work... gbG1kdB.png

T5w4xmw.jpg

By pure luck PE was right over KSC

dUMgy1F.jpg

Hit the atmosphere at about 4.8 km/s. I had just finished retrograde burn and the fuel tank exploded before I could jettison it. Luckily nothing else did before I turned prograde and opened the shield.

AgjQn0q.jpg

It dipped to 48 km altitude and then when up to 50 km before dropping again. Shield peak temp was about 2900K. 

At stock orbital speed at 33 km:

b0CrnBA.jpg

Ub6Q1t7.jpg 2KXbdP9.jpg

XUByZ29.jpg

It flew 900 km past the original PE point...

XPjlcIZ.jpg

Today, I worked on making a reusable first booster stage, to improve on funds efficiency ! It use expensive methalox engines, but if we don't smash that thing (just as below), it should be fine !

"Any landing you can walk of is a g...." ...I just hope none of the R&D guys where having a coffee on the rooftop when it landed :D
9GwBZQg.png

I also started to think and desgin my first probe mission to Jool for this career. This time, I'd like to try something different, and rather than sending multiple probes with several launches, or one monstruous one that could land everywhere, I'd like to try making a spaceship, kinda in the same way as manned missions, with a mothership (big tanks/engines/main antenna), that would navigate inside the Jool system, and release several landers and orbiters  (much smaller, small antennas, etc) !

This would be the orbiter, with scanning equipment, with the goal of scanning and doing polar orbit science on Tylo and Laythe. There would be 2 of them attached to the mothership
(or one only, if it has enough Dv to map and transfer between the 2 moons) :

8vIcD2F.png

I'm very happy with the design and the final shape it ended up with !
NrGTmfG.png

When folded, for launch configuration :
ffcLsDO.png

And here the Jool/Laythian lander (exploded view) :
N2inlib.png

Still need to make the micro landers for the other moons, and actually design the mothership ^^ It will probably involve multiple launches and some LKO assembly ! :) 

Cheers

Edited by kurgut

On 5/19/2023 at 2:12 PM, chimera industries said:

My current plans are:

1. Finish the lander design for my Jool 5. My plan is to use one lander for all moons but Laythe, with refuels of course. There will be 2 addon-modules, a rover for Vall and ISRU for Tylo.  The aesthetic I want to go for is the lander from Europa Report.

Europa Report Concept Art

The Lander from Europa report. (Concept art only, as the film is shown through onboard cameras only and we don't get a good close look at it)

2. Actually get Laythe-Planes into orbit. Tweak design as needed.

3. Land billboard on Dres. Experiment with mounting the payload on the bottom.

4. Explore anomalies on the Mun and look for anomalies on other planets/ moons.

Not much was done in KSP today, other than general shenanigan-type stuff. You know, the most efficient way to be inefficient, horrible planes, messing up crafts by adding robotic parts...

Anyway, I found out today that 10 days ago, JUICE got its antenna unstuck! This is great news, as it means JUICE can continue with its exploration of Jupiter's super-cool moons. I have been praying every day for this to happen, I'm glad for the hard work by ESA, they are really neat!

Also, I am working on a fanfiction. I plan to explore the larger part of the solar system, but it starts out on Dres. I will be creating some lore, inspired by the KSP1 easter eggs and KSP2 monuments. It takes place in the KSP2 solar system. Link here.

That's all for now, see you later!

Fired up the classic KSP again today after a long break. Made a Duna lander prototype somewhat inspired by the Blue Moon architecture with fuel tanks above the crew cabin. Also put the parachutes onto a separate part that could be jettisoned after landing. It worked quite nicely!

k76rXWJ.png

Spoiler

r8w7PSk.png

jGOILru.png

UrMyWKk.png

0VwudTZ.png

Xt4SJA1.png

0V29fED.png

First supply run to Starlab with our new and first SSTO. It's very low tech, uses 2 panthers and 4 early methalox engines. So it's quite uncomfortable to fly, since the Dv margins are SO small ^^ Made also a version with only a passanger crew cabin instead of the docking adapter, to carry around those rich space tourists kerbals, that have an urge to empty their pockets in our space program. ;)
screenshot231.png
screenshot216.png

Amusingly, when I was testing a new launch vehicle, well, it kaboomed, and one of its engines landed, and really didn't want to stop burning..... some.. void ?
Also without moving. So at least it's not cheating, he keeps physics reasonable. 

screenshot228.png

and lastly, my jool exploration mission is almost ready to launch !

screenshot230.png

screenshot209.png

screenshot211.png

screenshot212.png

Do you see how rich I am, and how much this thing costs ? Do you start to see the link between this and me desperately trying to make a very low tech reusable space plane to save every last bit of cash?
haha

Well, since there is no thread called, "What did you do in KSP yesterday?" I guess it's okay to share what I did last night here. Before I get a lot of questions about what version I'm playing, I am still playing in 1.3, where the landing legs work, wheels work, and there's no ground creep! :cool: Anyway, last night, I decided that it had been a while since I had done a shuttle launch. No, I did not recreate the American STS program. This is the Kerbalized STS program...

bPGVqka.png

2OIyccd.png

AbRkZ6R.png

A4NJRfU.png

z3NukE3.png

mKIXKeO.png

The STS Jala Kerman is now in an equatorial orbit at roughly 95,200 meters and is waiting for this evening when she will dock with the space station I have in orbit. So, the adventure continues!

On 5/22/2023 at 2:19 PM, chimera industries said:

Not much was done in KSP today, other than general shenanigan-type stuff. You know, the most efficient way to be inefficient, horrible planes, messing up crafts by adding robotic parts...

Anyway, I found out today that 10 days ago, JUICE got its antenna unstuck! This is great news, as it means JUICE can continue with its exploration of Jupiter's super-cool moons. I have been praying every day for this to happen, I'm glad for the hard work by ESA, they are really neat!

Also, I am working on a fanfiction. I plan to explore the larger part of the solar system, but it starts out on Dres. I will be creating some lore, inspired by the KSP1 easter eggs and KSP2 monuments. It takes place in the KSP2 solar system. Link here.

I decided to finally do a long- standing goal of mine, I recreated the Ingenuity (Ginny) helicopter. Fairly simple, I had some issues with the rotors like I always do, but not a big challenge. Then, as the ultimate test, I decided to fly Ginny to Duna land Ginny on the VAB. On the way there, I wanted to take a stop at the Admin pool. 

Big mistake.

On "landing," Ginny pitched 90 degrees and lost 2 propellers. Fortunately, the 2 remaining propellers were on opposite rotors, so the rotation still canceled out. But then on my way out of the pool, to the VAB, I lost another one at the astronaut complex. I was down to 1 propeller. Rotation, imbalance, a host of problems could finish me for good. Thankfully, reaction wheels are OP and I made it to the VAB. I bounced upon landing, unintentionally aided by my propeller, but, unbeknownst to me, everything after that was broken. Ginny's kal-1000 controller and main batteries are on the bottom, which isn't covered by a structural panel. Upon bouncing, I lost the kal controller and the main batteries. The kal was important because it controlled blade pitch. The propeller was stuck at 30 degrees, full throttle. (At least, at the settings I had it at.) Somehow, through sheer luck, the will of the fates, and probably something else, I got this little helicopter on the VAB

It may seem small, but in the moment, it was a big adventure. I just hope I described it well enough!

After starting my next grand tour, I realized I have to rework my mothership. the problem was a very cool solar array failing to work properly.

I wanted to have a massive solar array of 100+ gigantors. It's completely unnecessary. However, this time I am not using kerbalism; as a result, I feel I have to carry around something stupid like that, else it would be too easy

crl7CiF.png

But I also want to be able to aerobrake hard, hence I want my solar panels to be retractable inside cargo bays. I initially devised the system shown

OkDxDjJ.png

the panels are mounted on trusses, which are mounted on hinges, which can fold and fit into some Mk3 cargo bays.

The problem is that those trusses are long and heavy (to fit 8 gigantors lined up), so they wobble. Especially when using the engines. Time warping while using the engines is out of the question entirely.

After a while, I noticed that the panels didn't look good anymore

W3wH3wQ.png

they are being bent. And the mission just started, if they look like that right now, I don't want to know how they'll look after I've landed on a bunch of planets.

The worst part, though, was that even though they were supposed to fold and stay folded, they didn't

QU3qVqZ.png

Instead, this happened. And when I tried to aerobrake, all those solar panels went kaboom. Clearly not a viable project. They survived testing, but they didn't survive the wear and tear of space travel.

So I devised a new system

US7ulG3.png

The solar panels are mounted on individual hinges. The cargo bay is now jutting out of the ship, and the panels are never too far from the center of the hinges.

7UCFrf9.png

They deploy nicely, they look good, and I tested with full thrust at 4x time warp and there wasn't a bit of wobble.

I was worried those Mk2 cargo bays would reduce aerobraking capacity, as they have a max temperature of 2500 °C - compared to 2700 °C for the nose cone cargo bays I'm using to shield the engines. but they hit the air laterally, so they heat less than the nose cones. The main problem now is that the ship is too aerodinamic and does not aerobrake much at all - I only lost 2 m/s from a 40 km periapsis on kerbin. I will have to taper some fuel tanks to create drag. Or maybe add a few inflatable thermal shields to use as parachutes.

Anyway, before launching this new ship and restarting the grand tour, I want to do some more field testing with some of the shuttles

I made another Plane Prime. Although it was a bit slower than the last one, it surpassed the cruising altitude and range. Not to mention it has a larger cargo and passenger capacity.

ZDaD2p8.png

• Plane Prime V3 on display in the SPH, along with its cargo inventory.
  • Some backstory regarding preliminary designs.
    • I tried four Wheesley engines along the wing like with V2, but it didn’t fly so well. Best-case scenario, it would crash at or before Alt Test Mountains.
    • I then tried four Wheesleys IN THE BACK and a larger T-tail, and that seemed to work. Although I got up to a higher cruising altitude than V2, the speed was lower than V1‘s. Of course, an outcome like that is to be expected when you have the same thrust as V2 but have to deal with a heavier load. Even so, this was unacceptable.
    • So, I included two more Wheesleys along the wings. I still got a slower cruising speed than V2 (but better than V1), but V3 beat its cruising altitude and expected range.
  • And some more backstory, but regarding balancing.
    • If all the tanks were loaded, the CoM would shift so far back that the plane would be literally dragging its tail during takeoff. Even if it managed to get into the air without damage, the pitch might get problematic and the plane would have extra weight to deal with at first. So, the tanks were drained in such a way that the plane would rest on all its wheels when being launched. Judging by the outcome of the test flight, that strategy is highly recommended.
    • Plane Prime V3 starts with 4710 units of fuel, even though it technically has a capacity of 9685. It still has quite an impressive range and a better cruising altitude than its predecessor.

Kq1tPf6.png

• The third Plane Prime flying at a heading of 270 degrees. This picture was taken 1200 km away from the KSC (as far as V2 went before having to land), after nearly two hours of continuous flight and almost 3/8 fuel left.
    • More specifically, it had 1675 units of fuel left.
    • Quite impressive, and yet it still has a long way to go.

Plane Prime V3 (RETIRED)

Performance Stats

Crew Capacity

4 crew + 16 passengers

Power Plant

6 x J-33 "Wheesley"

Total Empty Cargo Capacity

20 (9 loaded + 11 empty)

Landing Gear Configuration

Tricycle

Tailfin

T-tail

Cruising Altitude

7.4 km

(Can go higher)

Cruising Surface Velocity

260 m/s

Expected Range

2,960 km

UGcdaXL.png

• 815 km from the KSC heading towards it and 3 hours and 9 minutes of continuous flight, and Plane Prime V3 has 200 units of fuel left. It was time to land it, and it went so well.

3d5dBbD.png

• A historic photograph of Deputy Prime Minister Lynson Kerman being sworn in as the new Prime Minister of Kerbin. Earlier that day, his predecessor Kennedy Kerman was shot dead by a then-unknown sniper. Here, the newly-widowed Jacqueline Kerman is seen standing next to the man who would succeed her dearly departed husband.
    • As if the conspiracy theories attempting to answer who was the true mastermind behind Kennedy Kerman’s assassination, including many placing the blame on Lynson Kerman, many who set foot in this plane have claimed to have heard and/or seen ghosts.

aYqtjoZ.png

• SCAM (Super-Cool Aircraft Museum) chief engineer Edtrey Kerman pretending to be the Prime Minister after completing a showcase flight at the Kerbal Space Center.
    • One of the guests of honor to fly in this plane was former Prime Minister Bush Kerman Senior, who claimed to have clearly heard sobbing during the flight - even though everybody else on board swore none of them were crying.
      • The strange thing is that no audio was ever released of Jacqueline Kennedy crying, although there were witness testimonies saying that she did. Also Bush Kerman Senior himself was in no position to have heard them himself that fateful day; he was in Krakopolis. So, how was he able to hear crying he could not possibly remember from a past event?
      • On the other hand, an unnamed SCAM tour guide heard the name "Lynson" being yelled in what she described as Kennedy Kerman’s voice. She was far too young to have heard Kennedy Kerman when he was alive, so obviously the only way she would have recognized his voice was from audio taken from that time. However, an extensive web search found no instances where Kennedy Kerman yelled Lynson Kerman's name; in the few times he did mention Lynson, he was rather calm.

Feel free to download my craft file and try it out for yourself. I'm in for another busy weekend IRL.