ferram4

[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

Recommended Posts

i might as well ask this, was the physics hold function on launch broken/removed or is KJR just not working. 
I have noticed trying to use the unofficial updates that something that i remember happening in 1.3 not happening in 1.5.1 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet Another New Toy, boys! :) And, hopefully, this one will go "gold" (unless someone else manage to find another mishap of mine!).

KJR/L Pre-Release 3.4.0.3 (hard dependency KSPe Pre-Release 2.1.0.4update to the most recent is mandatory).

This one introduces (yet another one) change on configuration files. As @AccidentalDisassembly correctly stated above, config.xml is not exactly a user settings file. It has standard, "stock" settings that should be managed by the maintainer, and the user adding his own settings on it would render updates a hell.

So I put back the config.xml on the /GameData/KerbalJointReinforcement/PluginData , and this file from nowon is not user servicecable anymore.

On /PluginData/KerbalJointReinforcement you will find a file named user.xml, with the very same syntax from the config.xml. Anything you put here will be merged over the config.xml in memory. Currently, there's no way to "delete" something from the config.xml, just to replace or to add. I'm not being too much smart on this "merging over" thing, as duplicated entries from the lists (exemptModuleType and decouplerStiffeningExtensionType) will be duplicated in memory. Not a problem, just a bit of waste.

A proper INSTALL file with detailed instructions are available on the zip file and here.

— — — 

I didn't had the time to a proper throughout test - only the basic tests where done: running KSP with and without KJR installed using a reference vessel known to horribly spaghettify without.

It's appears to be working fine now. Thanks for your patience. :)

Edited by Lisias
fixing the download links
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see you have modulemanager.dll in the Install.md file.  Is it required, somehow, or is it just there for an example?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like the install guide, nice an easy to follow. About to test it now @Lisias. you have done so much already and i havent seen you around before so i got to thank you for updating KJR, Acceping the torch for TweekScale and im guessing your planing on maintaing KAX from SpannerMonkey.

Keep up the good work

Edit:
Was just checking the file layout and i noticed that CHANGE_LOG.md, LICENSE, NOTICE, README.md, KerbalJointReinforcement.dll and KerbalJointReinforcement.version are all missing.
Checked the zip and its also not in there. 

Edit: 
Only PluginData with config.xml inside that folder

Edited by xD-FireStriker
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I see you have modulemanager.dll in the Install.md file.  Is it required, somehow, or is it just there for an example?

Just an example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thread is becoming confusing cause the longer it goes on, the more people are thinking KJR is Lisias' builds which it is not. In my opinion this thread should be closed until either Ferram4 resumes development of it or it is officially handed over to someone. Lisias should start his own thread on his own development of his version of this and should even call it something else to avoid further confusion. Just my two cents on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MikeO89 said:

The thread is becoming confusing cause the longer it goes on, the more people are thinking KJR is Lisias' builds which it is not. In my opinion this thread should be closed until either Ferram4 resumes development of it or it is officially handed over to someone. Lisias should start his own thread on his own development of his version of this and should even call it something else to avoid further confusion. Just my two cents on this.

Lisias' Fork is called KJR/L, i kind of like the naming scheme Lisias uses as i can guess what the L stands for. Idk what should be done about the thread. i dont think anything is stopping people from making a new thread but since ferram hasnt passed the mod over you can get some backlash from the community for doing that and you dont rly want 5 diff version threads floating around.

I say thats up to Lisias if  he/she wants to make a new thread
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm restraining myself to creating a new thread because I'm just fixing KJR, not exactly adopting it.

I don't know what's going to happen from now, it's up to ferram to decide.

Edited by Lisias
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lisias said:

I'm restraining myself to creating a new thread because I'm just fixing KJR, not exactly adopting it.

I don't know what's going to happen from now, it's up to ferram to decide.

My understanding is that no one has heard from Ferram in a full year or more? I don't disagree with your logic, but I feel like you might be waiting for a train that isn't coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lisias said:

So I put back the config.xml on the /GameData/KerbalJointReinforcement/PluginData , and this file from nowon is not user servicecable anymore.

On /PluginData/KerbalJointReinforcement you will find a file named user.xml, with the very same syntax from the config.xml. Anything you put here will be merged over the config.xml in memory. Currently, there's no way to "delete" something from the config.xml, just to replace or to add. I'm not being too much smart on this "merging over" thing, as duplicated entries from the lists (exemptModuleType and decouplerStiffeningExtensionType) will be duplicated in memory. Not a problem, just a bit of waste

Just an FYI, an xml file is rather obtuse for someone to edit, would be nicer to convert it to the standard .cfg file format.  I know it's not something for people to edit, but they will, and having a cfg file makes it easier for them to edit and you to debug.  Except in a few rare cases, I usually convert those files to cfg when I adopt mods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2018 at 5:13 AM, The_Joe said:

My understanding is that no one has heard from Ferram in a full year or more? I don't disagree with your logic, but I feel like you might be waiting for a train that isn't coming.

He's logging regularly. I can't explain why he's silent, but he is not away. You can check on his profile.

 

20 hours ago, MikeO89 said:

That's all the more  reason to separate  out the threads.

I think the other way: by splitting the thread and redirecting everybody that come here to the other thread we are essentially pushing ferram4 away from the spotlight. What's not what I want.

I agree that sooner or later something will have to reach CKAN in order to get used by the orphaned userbase, but right now what I'm doing is not ready for mass consumption, so this is not a problem anyway. Yet.

 

On 12/7/2018 at 2:34 AM, xD-FireStriker said:

I say thats up to Lisias if  he/she wants to make a new thread

"It" . :D 

 

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Just an FYI, an xml file is rather obtuse for someone to edit [..] Except in a few rare cases, I usually convert those files to cfg when I adopt mods

This would be trivial to implement, nice idea.

 

On 12/7/2018 at 12:31 AM, xD-FireStriker said:

Oh haha, its a debug zip. I will uninstall and wait for the update. Dont worry Lisia, it would happen to the best of us sometimes.

Dude, the last 24 hours were a riot around here. :D 

First, after 30 years of use, I discovered that the cache Midnight Commander uses for SSH and FTP virtual file systems are also used for ZIPs, TARs and the others archives, besides the View option working right on the current file. So, you can essentially view a file but use another older one when opening and extracting the contents!! Man, what a mess I did due this!!

Not happy, Real Life stroke me with a series of routing problems on the slightly big city where I live (São Paulo), what cut me out from half the Internet - AWS saved my sorry SAS, I fired up a proxy on my site and could at least have some work done.

But that was not enough! This morning, I'm facing a lot of power outages on my neighbourhood (perhaps the reason for the routing outage - the power outages could be affecting the local backbones).

I'm glad I had delivered that job upfront, or I would had it delayed by now. :D 

Edited by Lisias
and yet anohter tyop!
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am having quite a lot og log messages and I think the last version made my game lag a bit when decoupling. Like its thinking too much or something. Is there a way to disable logs or something to prevent this lag which I didn't have before? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi!

First of all, thanks to Lisias for mantaining the Mod.
I've followed the INSTALL.md procedure, KSP-Addons Version Checked detected bouth mod and dependency, but my rockets still act like spaghettti.
It have been a lot time since my last play, so maybe I am not remembering something. Do I need to activate something inside ksp options? How can I check that the mod is trully well installed?

Data:
KSP 1.5.1
KSPAPIExtensions 2.1.0.4
KerbalJointReinforcement 3.4.0.3

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lisias

You don't have a Patreon account do you? Id love to throw a few bucks your way for what you're doing.

KJR is one of those mods Ive found I cant really play without.

Edited by Marq

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2018 at 6:06 PM, Lisias said:

Yet Another New Toy, boys! :) And, hopefully, this one will go "gold" (unless someone else manage to find another mishap of mine!).

KJR/L Pre-Release 3.4.0.3 (hard dependency KSPe Pre-Release 2.1.0.4update to the most recent is mandatory).

This one introduces (yet another one) change on configuration files. As @AccidentalDisassembly correctly stated above, config.xml is not exactly a user settings file. It has standard, "stock" settings that should be managed by the maintainer, and the user adding his own settings on it would render updates a hell.

So I put back the config.xml on the /GameData/KerbalJointReinforcement/PluginData , and this file from nowon is not user servicecable anymore.

On /PluginData/KerbalJointReinforcement you will find a file named user.xml, with the very same syntax from the config.xml. Anything you put here will be merged over the config.xml in memory. Currently, there's no way to "delete" something from the config.xml, just to replace or to add. I'm not being too much smart on this "merging over" thing, as duplicated entries from the lists (exemptModuleType and decouplerStiffeningExtensionType) will be duplicated in memory. Not a problem, just a bit of waste.

A proper INSTALL file with detailed instructions are available on the zip file and here.

— — — 

I didn't had the time to a proper throughout test - only the basic tests where done: running KSP with and without KJR installed using a reference vessel known to horribly spaghettify without.

It's appears to be working fine now. Thanks for your patience. :)

My rockets are mostly working correctly(excluding the REALLY long ones), but my stations are like wet noodles, I think its working for everything but the docking ports, even modded fuel tanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Nyarlathotep- said:

My rockets are mostly working correctly(excluding the REALLY long ones), but my stations are like wet noodles, I think its working for everything but the docking ports, even modded fuel tanks.

That really long ones must use the EAS struts. Impossible Innovations have some different ones, if you don't mind throwing the plausibility through the window. :) 

On your <KSP_ROOT>/GameData/KJR/PluginData (or <KSP_ROOT>/GameData/KerbalJointReinforcement/PluginData if you are using "my" unofficial fork), you will find a config.xml file where some parts and modules are listed.

Check if your docking ports are listed there, or make a very small station using the same parts you are seeing the problem on yours and publish it here so we can give a look.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now