Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Torpedoes progress against actual ships is a little muddled-1 BDA 150Kg Warhead can take out walls, but it cannot destroy the main hull components, but it can reach speeds for automatic explosion, but it's not enough. With 2, this occasionally happens, but the newest test showed a complete hull destruction and sinking when a near-head on crash occurred, but it requires action groups to blow up the target if it isn't heading towards the torpedoes. While all tests show damage that would certainly render it practically useless, this is a weak little PT Boat! They are small torpedoes though.   More detail in the album.

Any thoughts about the explosives? Any thoughts on design?

I love the strange and interesting ships that show up so often on the WIP thread!

Anyway, here's mine, a W-I-P Crew trainer SSTO which is designed to Successfully carry 52 Kerbals to orbit, and then to Minmus and land. It then uses its drilling system to refuel, carrying up to 24,800 Liquid fuel for a fairly gigantic D/V allowing the crew trainer to journey just about anywhere. It has so far been tested to reach orbit with 1,900+ d/v (enough to make the trip to minmus and land) as well as a stable re-entry and landing.

Credit where credit is due, this plane was insipred by Rune's Sabre-Foil several months ago, which was also a great learning tool in becoming better at constructing extremely successful SSTO's. Thanks, Rune!

Here it is: The Diamondback Type III (Top pic is actually outdated but its very, very similar)
fkb3mlm.png

TQjVqrQ.png

Edited by Camaron

Starting work on a Old School style Grand Tour mother ship.Gonna aim for around 30,000 m/s delta v in the main ship, around 5,000 m/s in all the lander's put together. Gonna take a lot of work and a lot of time.. Good thing I've got music in the background and I myself am a kind of night owl ^-^ Will post pictures once the first 3 modules have been put up :) Suggestions are appreciated as well, need ideas for landers, also should I find a way to get a plane up and take a trip on Laythe? It kinda sounds like it would be a ton of fun :P Photo album: http://imgur.com/gallery/ei067

Edited by BrandenPE
Added Album Link

9 hours ago, Camaron said:

I love the strange and interesting ships that show up so often on the WIP thread!

Anyway, here's mine, a W-I-P Crew trainer SSTO which is designed to Successfully carry 52 Kerbals to orbit, and then to Minmus and land. It then uses its drilling system to refuel, carrying up to 24,800 Liquid fuel for a fairly gigantic D/V allowing the crew trainer to journey just about anywhere. It has so far been tested to reach orbit with 1,900+ d/v (enough to make the trip to minmus and land) as well as a stable re-entry and landing.

Credit where credit is due, this plane was insipred by Rune's Sabre-Foil several months ago, which was also a great learning tool in becoming better at constructing extremely successful SSTO's. Thanks, Rune!

Whoa, you did supersize the Foil, didn't you? And with ISRU capabilities! Pretty cool, and I'm very glad to have been of help. :)

8 hours ago, BrandenPE said:

Starting work on a Old School style Grand Tour mother ship.Gonna aim for around 30,000 m/s delta v in the main ship, around 5,000 m/s in all the lander's put together. Gonna take a lot of work and a lot of time.. Good thing I've got music in the background and I myself am a kind of night owl ^-^ Will post pictures once the first 3 modules have been put up :) Suggestions are appreciated as well, need ideas for landers, also should I find a way to get a plane up and take a trip on Laythe? It kinda sounds like it would be a ton of fun :P Photo album: http://imgur.com/gallery/ei067

I applaud the effort, but I foresee troubles with it, so here go a couple of tips:

- 5km/s to land on every rock is very much a no-no. Tylo alone would need more than 6, without a surface refuel, and a lot of moons and places take at least two, which added up is a lot Also, the lander you showed could use a trimming in RCS... like most of it, if you need a reservoir keep it in the mothership.

- 30km/s is kind of impossible to get into a single stage. With drop tanks and awful TWR, maybe, but for any decent payload you are looking at many hundreds of tons in LKO. Beware.

The solution to all the above? ISRU. Build a kerbin chemical SSTO that can mine, and then you can use it as both universal lander (just enough for Tylo, so more than enough for anywhere else, and Eve is almost impossible to single-stage) and miner to replenish your mothership. Then your mothership just needs about ~5km/s with the fueled lander on tow to make the biggest transfers (Moho), and it's size is somewhat saner. I'm still talking a big ship, mind you, even going very light and minimalistic...

WQYZPAe.png

Rune. That is my latest in the subject, 250mT on LKO.

3 hours ago, Camaron said:

For the lulz. 

lGDVAyK.jpg

Fully valid with a seat, solar and SAS

That's awesome. The old school style grand tour doesn't use the mining and refueling aspect of the game though. This design doesn't use refueling although I see that power might be an issue. Have you tested how high you can throttle without losing too much power? Also I may use KAS to be able to strut the final craft together. I have noticed a certain wobble that occur's :P

Edited by BrandenPE

Also anyone else ever had this problem before? Since yesterday I never get the thing that shows where the target vessel is in the regular view mode. I am now having to do my docking with on the map view to tell me where I am..

17 hours ago, BrandenPE said:

That's awesome. The old school style grand tour doesn't use the mining and refueling aspect of the game though. This design doesn't use refueling although I see that power might be an issue. Have you tested how high you can throttle without losing too much power? Also I may use KAS to be able to strut the final craft together. I have noticed a certain wobble that occur's :P

On the wobble, are you 'pushing' or pulling the craft with the engines. I find large interplanetary vessels benefit from being pulled rather than pushed through space

4 hours ago, TangerineSedge said:

On the wobble, are you 'pushing' or pulling the craft with the engines. I find large interplanetary vessels benefit from being pulled rather than pushed through space

Yeah it was because I was pushing rather than pulling. This is gonna make me a lot better at docking though because the bigger it gets, the less control I have of it.

Just now, ghostbuzzer7 said:

Ahh the good ole' star wars episode VII got me doing this now.

L7nabLF.png

And then I've made a p-38 E plane from war thunder.

cLs4cm8.png

Lastly, the hydroboats that they use for racing...

wOtY87f.png

Love the speed boat!

And Giggleplex, you are such a lurker these days! You coming back?

21 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

DC-3?

20 hours ago, YargJay9991 said:

Yep, I agree a DC-3. 

I made one a bit ago...

a6e281_31d7c169133d46a0ae4d56df24a212be.

Didn't quite get the nose right from the front, but it looks good from the side.

KERBAL X LINK

Looks good @Columbia! :) Well done!

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

Yep :) And thanks! Yours has far more complexity than mine though.

I've yet to work on it, but my Mac is currently busted and my Windows computer doesn't have the ship. Ah well, I'll be less distracted by the time finals come around.

On 1/8/2016 at 0:29 PM, BrandenPE said:

Heh. I wasn't really suggesting you use a micro-ion ship, just seeing if I could slap together 30k+ with one stage. Smart staging is going to be key for a real grand tour ship with enough power to carry what you need for all of the landings. also, with the exception of EVE, your lander can be modular and re-docked with other configurations for each world. It probably Involves a core ship in one launch, The Landers in another, and all of the drop-tanks for the trip in other launches. The way I built mine, I had four Rocko 64's (it was a long time ago) per launch and on the 64's each had a set of decouplers, with RCS, a probe core and an RTG. This let them maneuver themselves into place to dock with the primary craft, and then it was able to blast away the extra, now-useless pieces, leaving only a tank. That's the easy way anyway, without building stuff that requires something like Hexa-docking.

1 hour ago, Majorjim said:

SSTO from Kerbin to Duna?

yes. It can take off of Kerbin, fly to Duna and land on it, and then take off there and fly back to kerbin, all in one piece (I also brought some science equipment because this is in my career save). I would have a mission video out already, but apparently the recording files got corrupted or something so I have to redo the mission.