[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

22 minutes ago, Birdman31 said:

that seems to have worked! Thanks for the help! :D

Nice, if a bit weird! lol

I'll also recommend removing ModuleManagerWatchDog, _LOCAL, and 666_ModuleManagerWatchDog.dll from GameData too, which are just other things that come with the other TS version, just to make sure the uninstallation is complete.

This goes for anyone using TweakScale, I can only recommend using TweakScale Rescaled with BDB, having the older version (plus KSP Recall) will mean I can't look into any issues/logs. You can change version to Rescaled mid-game without major issue.

Edited by Rodger

On 6/20/2024 at 11:34 PM, zakkpaz said:

@Zorg are the revamped Atlas parts going to need any rebalancing or is it ok if I remake my craft files now?

I really don’t want to have to do it twice.

So I've done a bit of testing and honestly I'm largely happy with the balance. Just quoting from the issue page:

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/issues/1456

"Due to various factors the performance of KSP rockets can vary a lot but I consider between 2/3 to 100% of IRL performance in 2.5x scale to be acceptable.

The IRL figures here are from example missions from Ed Kyle so are indicative rather than max payload. From Atlas 2 onwards the figures are max payload from Lockheed/ULA users guides.

Atlas II struggles to LEO but this is due to the difference in scaling between the world vs the atmo I believe. It suffers significant gravity losses and the core never gets close to 1:1 TWR. However most other builds fall in an acceptable range so I'm planning to leave the balance as is."

342057737-d4169c91-b800-41b5-911b-fd2352

Unless someone discovers a major issue I dont think I will make any major changes. Perhaps some small tweaks to the mass of structural parts etc if we spot anything. But fuel loads arent going to change.

43 minutes ago, Zorg said:

So I've done a bit of testing and honestly I'm largely happy with the balance. Just quoting from the issue page:

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/issues/1456

"Due to various factors the performance of KSP rockets can vary a lot but I consider between 2/3 to 100% of IRL performance in 2.5x scale to be acceptable.

The IRL figures here are from example missions from Ed Kyle so are indicative rather than max payload. From Atlas 2 onwards the figures are max payload from Lockheed/ULA users guides.

Atlas II struggles to LEO but this is due to the difference in scaling between the world vs the atmo I believe. It suffers significant gravity losses and the core never gets close to 1:1 TWR. However most other builds fall in an acceptable range so I'm planning to leave the balance as is."

342057737-d4169c91-b800-41b5-911b-fd2352

Unless someone discovers a major issue I dont think I will make any major changes. Perhaps some small tweaks to the mass of structural parts etc if we spot anything. But fuel loads arent going to change.

No major issues that I have seen on my end.   However, a Small favor.  Could the older GEM-60 get a node to work with the new atlas V GEM-63/AJ60 decoupler?

58 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

No major issues that I have seen on my end.   However, a Small favor.  Could the older GEM-60 get a node to work with the new atlas V GEM-63/AJ60 decoupler?

I'll look at that as an interim solution. GEM 60 probably needs to be remade to match the newer motors though.

In the meantime the update for today is BDB's first flourine engine. The Rocketdyne G-1 Flourine Engine-Hydrazine for the NOMAD upper stage. NOMAD itself may happen some time in the future perhaps.

Spoiler

CNhVbrw.png

This incredible model was made by @Al2Me6 for RO-engines originally, for once we are importing a model from them rather than the other way around :P I made a few small adjustments to the TU based PBR textures to fit the other BDB engines but this is 95% Al's work as is with very minor tweaks to fit. Its a pressure fed engine with low thrust. But due to the Flourine, it still gets 357s and 368s with the nozzle extension. In game it will use LFO by default but maybe someone will do something for BDB extras.

vH2tV3E.png

6y8mUAx.png

ZmqIrc5.png

5gYQtnK.png

hU5ikFY.png

Little bonus update, some tweaks to the RD180 to make it a little less monotone. Still based on IRL pics, but some engines had less paint and more surface variation. Think it looks better.

PGV2EQP.png

Edited by Zorg

15 minutes ago, Zorg said:

In the meantime the update for today is BDB's first flourine engine. The Rocketdyne G-1 Flourine Engine-Hydrazine for the NOMAD upper stage. NOMAD itself may happen some time in the future perhaps.

Reveal hidden contents

CNhVbrw.png

This incredible model was made by @Al2Me6 for RO-engines originally, for once we are importing a model from them rather than the other way around :P I made a few small adjustments to the TU based PBR textures to fit the other BDB engines but this is 95% Al's work as is with very minor tweaks to fit. Its a pressure fed engine with low thrust. But due to the Flourine, it still gets 357s and 368s with the nozzle extension. In game it will use LFO by default but maybe someone will do something for BDB extras.

vH2tV3E.png

6y8mUAx.png

ZmqIrc5.png

5gYQtnK.png

hU5ikFY.png

Oh my god I love wacky engines with weird fuels like this. Please can we get a dedicated methalox engine at some point, or some other engine that uses weird exotic fuels? Methane-powered nuclear engine? :sticktongue:

42 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I'll look at that as an interim solution. GEM 60 probably needs to be remade to match the newer motors though.

Reveal hidden contents

CNhVbrw.png

vH2tV3E.png

Little bonus update, some tweaks to the RD180 to make it a little less monotone. Still based on IRL pics, but some engines had less paint and more surface variation. Think it looks better.

A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

I like the stabilizing structural fins,  for lack of a better word.

5 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I like the stabilizing structural fins,  for lack of a better word.

They're really cool. The signature visual feature of the engine for sure. They are heat exchangers.

NAWFjK2.png

7 minutes ago, Zorg said:

They're really cool. The signature visual feature of the engine for sure. They are heat exchangers.

NAWFjK2.png

Interesting. So they would cool the engine using the fuel or oxidizer, then dump them back into the thrust chamber, like the shuttle I'm assuming? Or is the dumping more like the F-1 and it happens at or near the end of the bell?

20 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Interesting. So they would cool the engine using the fuel or oxidizer, then dump them back into the thrust chamber, like the shuttle I'm assuming? Or is the dumping more like the F-1 and it happens at or near the end of the bell?

There's not much about it but I believe its regenerative. I would think its the hydrazine I think not the flourine oxidizer being circulated.

BTW the F1 was also regeneratively cooled where fuel ran through the tube channels and then went into the chamber (this would be for everything above the manifold thats halfway down the nozzle). It was the burnt turbopump exhaust that was used for film cooling, not unburnt propellants.

Edited by Zorg

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

0_0

This is COOOL!!
What kind of hydrazine was used by the way? Mono or UDMH or simple? 
For toxicity purposes)

Edited by ra4nd0m

Verdigris (Very Oxidized/Pinta Copper) Atlas V launching a G-1 upper stage (Uses Titan IV second stage). Like how the exhaust goes from yellow to green to blue-ish brown(?). 

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

uju77tz.png

te01srT.png

ZXi75Rv.png

GCVJSTU.png

VqCp2bv.png

RourcNF.png

Also, @Rodger Could I maybe get your help with something? I made a second texture for the Atlas V, and it's not showing up in game. 

I looked at the KSP log and it says the texture was loaded, but it doesn't show up in game. There's no errors pertaining to the texture. I can provide the logs if need be. 

//uppertank
@PART[bluedog_AtlasV_CCB_upper]:FOR[Bluedog_DB]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]:HAS[#moduleID[textureSwitchPaint]]
    {
        SUBTYPE
        {
            name = Verdigris
            primaryColor = #43b3ae
            secondaryColor = #43b3ae
            TEXTURE
            {
                texture = Bluedog_DB_Extras/Atlas_V_Texture_Variants/bluedog_AtlasV_CCBverdigris
                transform = CCBU_tank
                transform = CCBU_tankShort
                transform = CCBU_tankGeneric
                transform = CCBU_tankLong
            }
            MATERIAL
            {
                transform = CCBU_tank
            }
        }
    }
    SUBTYPE
    {
      name = Statue of Liberty
      primaryColor = #a1c7b6
      secondaryColor = #a1c7b6
      TEXTURE
      {
        texture = Bluedog_DB_Extras/Atlas_V_Texture_Variants/bluedog_AtlasV_CCBsol
                transform = CCBU_tank
      }
            MATERIAL
            {
                transform = CCBU_tank
            }
    }
}
//Lower tank
@PART[bluedog_AtlasV_CCB_lower]:FOR[Bluedog_DB]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]:HAS[#moduleID[textureSwitchPaint]]
    {
        SUBTYPE
        {
            name = Verdigris
            primaryColor = #43b3ae
            secondaryColor = #43b3ae
            TEXTURE
            {
                texture = Bluedog_DB_Extras/Atlas_V_Texture_Variants/bluedog_AtlasV_CCBverdigris
                transform = CCBL_tank
            }
            MATERIAL
            {
                transform = CCBL_tank
            }
        }
    }
    SUBTYPE
    {
      name = Statue of Liberty
      primaryColor = #a1c7b6
      secondaryColor = #a1c7b6
      TEXTURE
      {
        texture = Bluedog_DB_Extras/Atlas_V_Texture_Variants/bluedog_AtlasV_CCBsol
                transform = CCBU_tank
      }
            MATERIAL
            {
                transform = CCBU_tank
            }
    }
}

cSQZgNp.png

16 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Also, @Rodger Could I maybe get your help with something? I made a second texture for the Atlas V, and it's not showing up in game.

Just gotta keep an eye on your brackets

13 minutes ago, Rodger said:

Just gotta keep an eye on your brackets

Ah, I see it now. Thanks. I even counted the brackets like twice before hand lol. I guess I should tab my code over so I can see more clearly. 

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Ah, I see it now. Thanks. I even counted the brackets like twice before hand lol. I guess I should tab my code over so I can see more clearly. 

If you use VS Code (it's free) to write your cfg files you'll never have this issue again.

On 4/29/2024 at 7:02 AM, Entr8899 said:

@CobaltWolfUnrelated, but is there any chance you could add a white switch for the Saturn vernier engines so they can be used for other rockets without looking odd? I'd be very grateful :cool:

Added all white and all black switches for this engine. 

19 hours ago, Zorg said:

Thanks, yes the old Castor/GEM Rockets are probably now the least "BDB" parts in the BDB Catalogue.   In fact, Cobaltwolf will have to correct me, I think they are about the oldest parts in BDB?  With the Castor I/II combined model being the newest of them.

Delta Update when? ./joking

Hmmm. Are there any other concepts for the Thor/Delta family besides the Double Barrel Delta II and the Delta II MDD Barbarian?

And obviously besides the ridiculous stuff with Delta IV like the 6 boosters strapped to the core or the enlarged CCBs that some of which reach SLS/Ares V levels of size... what the heck were the ULA/Boeing designers thinking with the Paris 7 launcher? 

Edited by GoldForest

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

Thanks, yes the old Castor/GEM Rockets are probably now the least "BDB" parts in the BDB Catalogue.   In fact, Cobaltwolf will have to correct me, I think they are about the oldest parts in BDB?  With the Castor I/II combined model being the newest of them.

I'm pretty sure the Scout parts are older, and some of the old science parts and old Gemini parts that weren't depreciated yet are older still.

@CobaltWolfplease please PLEASE can we get dedicated Conestoga parts for the inevitable Scout revamp? :cool:

Edited by Entr8899