[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Before opening the spoiler below, make certain you understand, you break it, you bought it.   I have been using dev builds for years and I still break a download atleast once every month or two!

If you still want to know:

Reveal hidden contents

In the OP, click the Github link

Click CODE on the left side of the screen

Big green button that says master... click  A dropdown appears

Grey button directly below the BDB logo that says master, Click,   Selection menu appears  Choose 1.14 Development

Green button to the right of that that says Code again

Choose to download ZIP.  

Install it (make certain correct files go to correct places.   Some files you need in place 1 and others need to be in place 2 or 3 to work!)

I end up restarting my save file about once every three weeks anyway. its like back when i used linux. i expect things to break so i don't get too attached

15 hours ago, slyfox023 said:

for some reason the LEM rover won't unfold when I tried to deploy it, does anyone know why? 

Do you have KJR too? Using KJR Next instead of KJR Continued may give better results, but it's hard to replicate the issue. I'd also recommend installing KSP Community Fixes too just in case.
Stock autostruts should be unable to cross an unlocked robotic joint, so I'd be somewhat surprised if it was stock autostruts causing it, but definitely worth trying different settings there too. Make sure you have advanced tweakables on in the game settings to be able to change the autostrust settings.

20 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

@Pappystein, @Rodger, has the Upper Stage Thrust Buff patch been updated for the new Titan configs, or is it operational as is? Does it work with the Hypergolics patch or is that overkill (if there is such a thing in KSP :lol:)?

Upper stage buff patch should be fine with the hypergol patch. The hypergol patch doesn't actually change any thrust values, so they don't conflict at all. And the version on dev does cover the Titan update, giving the LR91 and LR87-LH2 1.5x thrust (and mass).

Edited by Rodger

Here's something I think you all might like, Atlas L/Atlas II/Atlas CELV (all the same thing) was the competitor proposal to Titan IV for the CELV contract, and had some interesting derivatives, which I decided to make

LMghTpY.jpeg

Atlas L/Centaur, Late 80s:

RLpVpFY.png

Spoiler

sTKc9de.png

TZdoyeY.png

PoXBKpj.png

Growth Option 1, early 90s:

Now this one ain't bad, just hang the existing Atlas L from a pair of RSRBs, pretty fun!

One tiny modification though, we actually have to downgrade Atlas and remove it's common dome so we have have a lower attachment point for the booster struts

34QE4Q0.png

This one's my favourite <3

DeCPpuv.png

ln7a8jd.png

Such a good sep pic ;)

Growth Option 2, late 90s:

Now this one's cursed. Resurrect J-2, redesign the core stage to be longer and LH2, stretch Centaur T a LOT, and top that off with a Skylab fairing

EQmuXCg.png

(I secretly love it tho)

FBIRvjE.png

xZXI0y5.png

rC530qw.png

The Engineers were certainly 'creative' with this one

Edited by AmateurAstronaut1969

2 hours ago, AdrianDogmeat said:

SM-65F Atlas LORV - 550th Strategic Missile Squadron Fleet 

screenshot5928.png

screenshot5929.png

screenshot5933.png

screenshot5936.png

screenshot5938.png

screenshot5941.png

screenshot5942.png

Low Observable Reentry Vehicle [LORV]

Hide contents

screenshot5944.png

screenshot5947.png

screenshot5949.png

screenshot5955.png

Very well done. What part did you use for the RV?

Didn't take pictures but jeb survived his first X-15 flight.

His X-15 didn't survive the flight, but Jeb did, and that's what matters. Maybe next time Jeb will figure out how to properly kill velocity before he hits the troposphere

In the dev branch w/ the hypergolic patch the Titan I first stage tanks both default to hypergol despite the TI using kerolox. Sorry if its a known issue. Also might be my setup which is...super janky atm.

EDIT: this is definitely an issue with my sloppy installation, please disregard

Edited by Kellanium

12 hours ago, Kellanium said:

In the dev branch w/ the hypergolic patch the Titan I first stage tanks both default to hypergol despite the TI using kerolox. Sorry if its a known issue. Also might be my setup which is...super janky atm.

EDIT: this is definitely an issue with my sloppy installation, please disregard

The different tank subtypes just can't have different default fuel types. There's tips in the part/switch descriptions about needing to set Titan I tanks to LFO.

Small update for people using dev, the Atlas skirts have been merged into a single new part, so the "old" new skirts are being soft depreciated, and I'll remove em fully in a week or two. Just in case people were using them in new craft files, so you have time to update them.

Does using fluorozine give me a real advantage? no. but, counterpoint, rocket plume green

Also, dev branch seems to load and run much faster than 1.13. Impressive.

Edited by Kellanium

9 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Just realized we're about a month and a half, plus change, away from BDB's 9th anniversary. I know the 9th isn't a big deal, that would be the 10th. But I was wondering, do you have anything planned for the 9th anniversary @CobaltWolf ?

I suggest a can of Dr Pepper

7 hours ago, Kellanium said:

Does using fluorozine give me a real advantage? no. but, counterpoint, rocket plume green

I mean the higher isp is a pretty nice bonus too lol

@Pappystein I'm making a fluorine,lithium Hydrogen tank type and was wondering if you or anyone else here would know the mixture ratios for an engine like that. Roughly at least. 

Atm I have it at

LqHydrogen 3.75

Lithium 0.75

Fluorine 0.25

I've went for a 15:1 hydrogen flurine mixture but have no idea how much lithium is ideal. 15:3:1 was a wild guess haha. My current tank has half the mass of hydrogen/oxygen and it seem quite op. Any recommendations? 

27 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Any fix for the, for lack of a better word, "non-shininess" of the Atlas LV3 and Atlas II lower tank parts in the works? They still appear, for lack of a better word, 'matte'-like.

UXnJfvR.png

Aren't dedicated PBR textures on their way?

19 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

They're already in the DEV branch. Look at the top of the Atlas. That's PBR shininess. 

You're still looking at Deffered's automatic conversion. The old specular channels are being reworked as dedicated smoothness maps and there are still a few inconsistencies Im working on. For the textures to be loaded into dedicated PBR shaders together with the newly added metalicity maps you need to wait for a new update to Shabby to be publicly available.

Edited by Zorg

8 minutes ago, Zorg said:

You're still looking at Deffered's automatic conversion. The old specular channels are being reworked as dedicated smoothness maps and there are still a few inconsistencies Im working on. For the textures to be loaded into dedicated PBR shaders together with the newly added metalicity maps you need to wait for a new update to Shabby to be publicly available.

Ah, okay. Sorry. 

10 hours ago, Rodger said:

I mean the higher isp is a pretty nice bonus too lol

I mean yeah but even without the flourozine my comsats end up with about 700-1000 m/s dV post-circularization in HKO (vs about 1200 for the fluorozine)

(also i know fluorozine is the opposite of how it should be but hydrafluor doesn't sounds as cool. Zs make things cool)

13 hours ago, dave1904 said:

@Pappystein I'm making a fluorine,lithium Hydrogen tank type and was wondering if you or anyone else here would know the mixture ratios for an engine like that. Roughly at least. 

Atm I have it at

LqHydrogen 3.75

Lithium 0.75

Fluorine 0.25

I've went for a 15:1 hydrogen flurine mixture but have no idea how much lithium is ideal. 15:3:1 was a wild guess haha. My current tank has half the mass of hydrogen/oxygen and it seem quite op. Any recommendations? 

I have no data on Lithium with Fluorine.   But FLOX+ LH2 is a valid fuel mix that was actually tested.     The ratio is 6:1 LH2 to FLOX.

Flox + RP1 was also tested,   5-8% ISP bump depending on the ratio of Fluorine to Oxygen with Atlas MA-3s  

No I do not plan on extending the Fluorine patch I made to LF/O engines as a rule.  Just stating that FLOX was tested with atlas engines.  

I am considering, doing the FLOX/LH2 mixture for the RL10 engines (and maybe MAYBE an LR87 or J-2.)
MAYBE even a Fl2/LH2 mix... not certain yet...

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

I have no data on Lithium with Fluorine.   But FLOX+ LH2 is a valid fuel mix that was actually tested.     The ratio is 6:1 LH2 to FLOX.

Flox + RP1 was also tested,   5-8% ISP bump depending on the ratio of Fluorine to Oxygen with Atlas MA-3s  

No I do not plan on extending the Fluorine patch I made to LF/O engines as a rule.  Just stating that FLOX was tested with atlas engines.  

I am considering, doing the FLOX/LH2 mixture for the RL10 engines (and maybe MAYBE an LR87 or J-2.)
MAYBE even a Fl2/LH2 mix... not certain yet...

According to Ignition: An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants by John D. Clark, Rocketdyne tested a Lithium/Flourine/LH2 tripropellant rocket in the 60s, and it got an impressively high ISP of 542s.