[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 9/18/2023 at 11:57 PM, DaveyJ576 said:

I am not sure what you are asking. I started with stock scale, and when I loaded KSRSS it converted it 2.5x. Is that what you wanted to know?

I mean, how do you convert a real-scale orbit, like say 1500km x 1500km, into KSRSS? Because obviously the planets are smaller than real life in KSRSS, how do you get the similar orbits?

9 hours ago, TaintedLion said:

I mean, how do you convert a real-scale orbit, like say 1500km x 1500km, into KSRSS? Because obviously the planets are smaller than real life in KSRSS, how do you get the similar orbits?

(A-90)0.25+90

Where A equals the real orbit value. For example, ISS equals

(422-90)0.25+90

(322)0.25+90

83+90=173KM AP

(413-90)0.25+90= 170.75KM PA

Or in your example of 1500km x 1500km

(1500-90)0.25+90=442.5KM

It's not an exact equation, but it's the best for 2.5. You can adapt it to other scales by changing the 90KM to the altitude of the Karmin Line for a specific scale, iirc. Also change the scaling (i.e. The 0.25) So,

(A-K)*B+K
A = IRL orbit of satellite or station
K = Karmin Line of the scale you're working with. (70km for stock, 85to90ish for 2.5, 90to95ish for 2.7, etc)
B = Scale of system (0.10, 0.25, 0.27, 0.5, etc)

Edited by GoldForest

10 hours ago, GoldForest said:

(A-90)0.25+90

(422-90)0.25+90

(322)0.25+90

83+90=173KM AP

(1500-90)0.25+90=442.5KM

It's not an exact equation, but it's the best for 2.5. You can adapt it to other scales by changing the 90KM to the altitude of the Karmin Line for a specific scale, iirc. Also change the scaling (i.e. The 0.25) So,

(A-K)*B+K
K = Karmin Line of the scale you're working with. (70km for stock, 85to90ish for 2.5, 90to95ish for 2.7, etc)

And the website seems to be under maintenance again :(  

Can't react, can't post imgur links.... err what did I do now :D  

But to the point in question Thanks for posting that, it was a formula I had never known myself

4 hours ago, Pappystein said:

And the website seems to be under maintenance again :(  

Can't react, can't post imgur links.... err what did I do now :D  

But to the point in question Thanks for posting that, it was a formula I had never known myself

You're welcome, but I can't take credit. @Zorg taught me that one. 

On 9/23/2023 at 6:31 AM, GoldForest said:

(A-90)0.25+90

(422-90)0.25+90

(322)0.25+90

83+90=173KM AP

(1500-90)0.25+90=442.5KM

(A-K)*B+K

So a geosynchronous orbit in KSRSS Reborn would be (37,786-90)0.27+90=9727.92? I can't find that anywhere.

5 minutes ago, TomVorat said:

So a geosynchronous orbit in KSRSS Reborn would be (37,786-90)0.27+90=9727.92? I can't find that anywhere.

You used the wrong scaling. KSRSS is 2.5 scale, not 2.7. 

(35,786km-90km)0.25+90km

(35,696km)0.25+90km

8,924km + 90km = 9,014 km

Keep in mind, this isn't perfect. You might not achieve a true geosynchronous orbit. 

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

You used the wrong scaling. KSRSS is 2.5 scale, not 2.7. 

(35,786km-90km)0.25+90km

(35,696km)0.25+90km

8,924km + 90km = 9,014 km

Keep in mind, this isn't perfect. You might not achieve a true geosynchronous orbit. 

No he's right it's the old KSRSS that is in x2.5 scale the new KSRSS Reborn is x2.7 just like JNSQ and I'm not so sure about this one but isn't the KSRSS karman line at 85km ?

40 minutes ago, BlackDinoShadows said:

but isn't the KSRSS karman line at 85km ?

9 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Oh, I didn't know. My bad.

the boundary between flying high and low space is at 80k in both JNSQ and KSRSS Reborn.

Here's the text I captured from Zorg when he posted about orbit scaling, though I can't find this post with the forum search:

Spoiler

Despite 2.5x KSRSS and JNSQ being roughly 1/4 the size of our solar system, the atmosphere height is roughly the same (90 and 85km respectively vs 100km Karman line on our Earth).

The orbital altitudes on the other hand are scaled directly to system scale, GEO in these KSP systems is roughly 1/4 of the IRL GEO.

So basically this formula will give you a decent approximation to scale IRL orbits to KSP

(RealOrbit_km - 90km) * 0.25 + 90km = KSP equivalent orbit in terms of relative performance.

Seems like this should give you a reasonable result in both. These are all approximations anyway.

(RealOrbit_km - 80km) * 0.25 +80km = KSP equivalent

I just noticed that the Kane Command Pods IVA doesn't match up with the model of the capsule, specifically the windows, they are slightly larger and are in the wrong place when compared to the external module. Is there a fix for this?  

4 hours ago, XM803 said:

I just noticed that the Kane Command Pods IVA doesn't match up with the model of the capsule, specifically the windows, they are slightly larger and are in the wrong place when compared to the external module. Is there a fix for this?  

just an issue with the IVA 

14 hours ago, XM803 said:

Old IVA model being used for new parts, no fix.

Hey all! Sorry for the continued quiet... this year simply will not stop 'happening' for me, and it sounds like the rest of the team are in a similar boat.

I was able to get the RCML in game... a week or two ago now, but haven't managed to find time to finish the configs and test it properly. Or, take a screenshot, apparently.

In the meantime, Invader HAS been busy working on the release of ORANGES, which you should all really check out if you haven't!

There is one piece of progress to share on my end, which is that Mariner 8/9 is coming along swell! The solar panels and some other parts are also used by Mariner 6/7, which will help Invader when he comes back to finish those parts.

1mXyuaQ.png

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Hey all! Sorry for the continued quiet... this year simply will not stop 'happening' for me, and it sounds like the rest of the team are in a similar boat.

I was able to get the RCML in game... a week or two ago now, but haven't managed to find time to finish the configs and test it properly. Or, take a screenshot, apparently.

In the meantime, Invader HAS been busy working on the release of ORANGES, which you should all really check out if you haven't!

There is one piece of progress to share on my end, which is that Mariner 8/9 is coming along swell! The solar panels and some other parts are also used by Mariner 6/7, which will help Invader when he comes back to finish those parts.

1mXyuaQ.png

any update on Vikiing :wink:

SAMOS PROGRAM PART 1

The Samos Program started off as the USAF's WS-117L reconnaissance and protection program. It would later split into the Samos-E optical reconnaissance and the Samos-F electronic surveillance programs. Samos-F became the Heavy Ferret spacecraft (see my earlier post). Eventually the Samos-E morphed into a running mate for the Corona/Discoverer program, distinguishing itself from Corona by using at first a film-readout and scan system where the film was developed onboard the spacecraft and then scanned electronically for image transmission to the ground. In order to test elements of both the E and the F programs, the first Samos flights would have the F-1 eavesdropping package installed on top of the E-1 optical camera. Once the F-1 mission was completed, the package would be jettisoned so that the E-1 camera could run its course. Below is my recreation of the Samos 2 mission. Atlas 70 D and Agena A A2102 boosted the spacecraft into a fairly high 400km x 97.4 degree orbit from Point Arguello (later Vandenberg) LC 1-1 on January 31, 1961.

Spoiler

cI1gYql.jpg

z6EaAqi.png

6luEeDk.png

Liftoff, climb out, and staging were all nominal and the spacecraft was successfully inserted into orbit.

Spoiler

2YVvDG1.png

2SfWqn6.jpg

wWjcMj2.jpg

Once stabilized on orbit, The spacecraft extended antennas and powered up. The nose cone was jettisoned, exposing the F-1 package. The package was run through its test program, which was mostly experimental in nature, proving out concepts of electronic surveillance from orbit.

Spoiler

FUpt660.png

sx1n0yt.jpg

brtcEc3.jpg

After the F-1 package was jettisoned, the E-1 cameras did their work, transmitting a lot of data to the ground. The DoD and USAF to this day can neither confirm nor deny that Soviet naval facilities on the Kamchatka peninsula were imaged on this flight. 

Note: In the non-KSP real world, Samos 2 suffered from a host of problems, both with the Agena vehicle and the payload. While some test data was returned from the F-1 package, little if any useful data from the optical cameras was transmitted. Ultimately, film scan and readout would be dropped because a high enough resolution could not be obtained, and the data received was poor. The Samos program would quickly pivot to returning the film to Earth for study, along with the camera. See the coming part 2 for that.

Edited by DaveyJ576
small addition

2 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

SAMOS PROGRAM PART 1

The Samos Program started off as the USAF's WS-117L reconnaissance and protection program. It would later split into the Samos-E optical reconnaissance and the Samos-F electronic surveillance programs. Samos-F became the Heavy Ferret spacecraft (see my earlier post). Eventually the Samos-E morphed into a running mate for the Corona/Discoverer program, distinguishing itself from Corona by using at first a film-readout and scan system where the film was developed onboard the spacecraft and then scanned electronically for image transmission to the ground. In order to test elements of both the E and the F programs, the first Samos flights would have the F-1 eavesdropping package installed on top of the E-1 optical camera. Once the F-1 mission was completed, the package would be jettisoned so that the E-1 camera could run its course. Below is my recreation of the Samos 2 mission. Atlas 70 D and Agena A A2102 boosted the spacecraft into a fairly high 400km x 97.4 degree orbit from Point Arguello (later Vandenberg) LC 1-1 on January 31, 1961.

Hide contents

cI1gYql.jpg

z6EaAqi.png

6luEeDk.png

Liftoff, climb out, and staging were all nominal and the spacecraft was successfully inserted into orbit.

Reveal hidden contents

2YVvDG1.png

2SfWqn6.jpg

wWjcMj2.jpg

Once stabilized on orbit, The spacecraft extended antennas and powered up. The nose cone was jettisoned, exposing the F-1 package. The package was run through its test program, which was mostly experimental in nature, proving out concepts of electronic surveillance from orbit.

Reveal hidden contents

FUpt660.png

sx1n0yt.jpg

brtcEc3.jpg

After the F-1 package was jettisoned, the E-1 cameras did their work, transmitting a lot of data to the ground. The DoD and USAF to this day can neither confirm nor deny that Soviet naval facilities on the Kamchatka peninsula were imaged on this flight. 

Note: In the non-KSP real world, Samos 2 suffered from a host of problems, both with the Agena vehicle and the payload. While some test data was returned from the F-1 package, little if any useful data from the optical cameras was transmitted. Ultimately, film scan and readout would be dropped because a high enough resolution could not be obtained, and the data received was poor. The Samos program would quickly pivot to returning the film to Earth for study, along with the camera. See the coming part 2 for that.

what kinda PC do you have my laptop is crying RN lol

10 hours ago, kspbutitscursed said:

what kinda PC do you have my laptop is crying RN lol

I use an Asus Predator Triton 300 laptop with an i7-11800H @4.6GHz and 64GB RAM. For video it has a RTX 3070 GPU with 8 GB RAM. It works very well for KSP, but it gets hot, even with its larger internal fan. I use a cooling mat to help keep the temps down.

59 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

I use an Asus Predator Triton 300 laptop with an i7-11800H @4.6GHz and 64GB RAM. For video it has a RTX 3070 GPU with 8 GB RAM. It works very well for KSP, but it gets hot, even with its larger internal fan. I use a cooling mat to help keep the temps down.

You can fit that kinda stuff in a laptop nowadays?

On 7/26/2023 at 11:35 PM, Blufor878 said:

I might have tried going in the opposite direction (if you want to call it that).
NNzxMdP.png
pyscfgI.png
xW448PZ.png

Sadly regular Atlas didn't have enough power. Atlas V might be a different story.

That atlas is almost as chunky as I am!

On 7/31/2023 at 12:24 PM, Pxtseryu said:

Finally got a new, POWERFUL pc to run this mod with a ton of other graphical enhancements. Made a short video to test it with Explorer 1. Wonder if people like this style...

No spin stabilizing?  Staging issue?

1 hour ago, Entr8899 said:

You can fit that kinda stuff in a laptop nowadays?

Sure! But you have to drop a few bucks on it. While it isn't the top of the line, it isn't the $400 Costco special either. I use it for a variety of purposes and I haven't had a desktop for quite a few years now. My previous Asus laptop was a good setup too, but it struggled with KSP so I upgraded last year. It was a good choice. The cooling mat helps a lot and I would suggest using one for a laptop running KSP. 

10 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Sure! But you have to drop a few bucks on it. While it isn't the top of the line, it isn't the $400 Costco special either. I use it for a variety of purposes and I haven't had a desktop for quite a few years now. My previous Asus laptop was a good setup too, but it struggled with KSP so I upgraded last year. It was a good choice. The cooling mat helps a lot and I would suggest using one for a laptop running KSP. 

pov me running ksp on a laptop with 8 gigs of ram a 1050 and an I7