[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

10 hours ago, GoldForest said:
19 hours ago, Richmountain112 said:

I would like for there to be a cargo version of the Kane command pod for transferring (and landing) Ore on the surface of Kerbin.

Just make the cargo section of the AARDVARK reenterable by slapping a heatshield under the probe. 

I made this real quick, so it's not perfect, but you get the concept. Make sure you have plenty of parachutes and maybe some landing gear... it may crush itself on landing. 

MDTn7Ym.png

That actually sounds like a good idea.

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I do not believe anyone has given us updated USI-LS configs since before that part was released. Someone needs to update them and make a pull request.

Setting a $10 bounty on updated USILS configs from whoever makes them. Double that if MKS configs are possible.

Good times on the moon with the Aether V crew.

Long stay mission while Lunlab (a heavily modified Skylab) makes its way over. Mission was originally planned to use the Bungalow long-term habitat but life-support systems were not developed in time.

c. 1974

image.png?ex=6536d701&is=65246201&hm=54d

image.png?ex=6536e63b&is=6524713b&hm=dcf

Hey all, not sure if something's bugged with my TexturesUnlimited or if I failed to install it properly, but reflections aren't working on the Apollo CSM. Anyone else encountered this issue? If so any fixes?

Edited by Pxtseryu
accidentally pressed enter too early

1 hour ago, Pxtseryu said:

Hey all, not sure if something's bugged with my TexturesUnlimited or if I failed to install it properly, but reflections aren't working on the Apollo CSM. Anyone else encountered this issue? If so any fixes?

I've run into the same problem. Either it's dark like this, or it completely ignores lighting and is at full brightness.

3 hours ago, Pxtseryu said:

make sure to turn Reflection Refresh onto Low in settings, otherwise all TU reflections will show as black

So... it has been pretty quiet here lately, so I thought I would issue a challenge.

I have been playing around with Apollo concepts lately. The original Apollo A concept from 1961 has intrigued me. I decided to try to kitbash it, but have been... unsuccessful, frustratingly so.

So here is the challenge... recreate the Apollo A spacecraft as closely as possible and launch it on an unmodified Saturn I Block II to a minimum of a 100km circular orbit. NASA documents from June of 1961 have indicated quite firmly that this configuration was intended to be launched on a Saturn C-1 (Saturn I), and this is where I ran into problems. From the Instrument unit up I struggled to get the weight under 10 t and the Saturn I really struggled  to get this to orbit, even a low one like 100km. I could only do it by cheating, i.e. reducing the weight of the S-I stage or upgrading the engines on the S-IV. The other issue is the rather poorly  defined nature of the "space laboratory" on top of the IU. I took this to mean a manned lab, and the Block IV mission module from BDB worked very well for this, but it was still too heavy. There doesn't seem to be a transfer tunnel, so I assumed that EVA was necessary to enter the lab using an airlock (I used the lightweight inflatable one). In this drawing note the very short, open bottom service module with solid retro motors. The SM equipment (RCS fuel, electrical) was arranged along the periphery of the SM with the retro motors in the center. 

So, have at it. I will be interested to see what you come up with and how it compares with my creation.

NOv3VE0.gif

Hello all.  For me KSP without bluedog is simply not the same.  However I am having a hard time finding ANY bluedog craft anywhere that works anymore. 

All Bluedog-only crafts I have been able to find in Kerbal X have locked or missing parts when i try to load in current new and clean version of KSP 1.12.5.3190 modded ONLY with latest "Bluedog Design Bureau" 1.13.0 and it's dependencies as per CKAN.  I imagine if i understood well the format of the craft files and how it loads assets i could id what's going on but I cannot.

I've placed my KSP log, a pic of the ksp directory and the gamedata directory, the page in kerbal x of a test craft (Gemini craft), and the KSP response when i load.

https://filebin.net/xbdtfb0mbi0s2cn8

Any pointers will be very appreciated..  be well,

2 hours ago, hgordillo said:

Hello all.  For me KSP without bluedog is simply not the same.  However I am having a hard time finding ANY bluedog craft anywhere that works anymore. 

All Bluedog-only crafts I have been able to find in Kerbal X have locked or missing parts when i try to load in current new and clean version of KSP 1.12.5.3190 modded ONLY with latest "Bluedog Design Bureau" 1.13.0 and it's dependencies as per CKAN.  I imagine if i understood well the format of the craft files and how it loads assets i could id what's going on but I cannot.

I've placed my KSP log, a pic of the ksp directory and the gamedata directory, the page in kerbal x of a test craft (Gemini craft), and the KSP response when i load.

https://filebin.net/xbdtfb0mbi0s2cn8

Any pointers will be very appreciated..  be well,

I suspect that the craft files there are simply too old. Bluedog is constantly being developed further and so it can happen that certain parts are completely replaced etc.
As soon as that happens, craft files no longer work.

14 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

@hgordillo As was commented previously, the craft files you're finding are probably all just outdated. However, there is a convenient wiki which provides details of how to assemble most of the standard vehicles in the mod.

Thanks everyone..wanted to focus more on flying than building but fair enough...be well,

On 10/14/2023 at 12:32 PM, DaveyJ576 said:

So... it has been pretty quiet here lately, so I thought I would issue a challenge.

I have been playing around with Apollo concepts lately. The original Apollo A concept from 1961 has intrigued me. I decided to try to kitbash it, but have been... unsuccessful, frustratingly so.

So here is the challenge... recreate the Apollo A spacecraft as closely as possible and launch it on an unmodified Saturn I Block II to a minimum of a 100km circular orbit. NASA documents from June of 1961 have indicated quite firmly that this configuration was intended to be launched on a Saturn C-1 (Saturn I), and this is where I ran into problems. From the Instrument unit up I struggled to get the weight under 10 t and the Saturn I really struggled  to get this to orbit, even a low one like 100km. I could only do it by cheating, i.e. reducing the weight of the S-I stage or upgrading the engines on the S-IV. The other issue is the rather poorly  defined nature of the "space laboratory" on top of the IU. I took this to mean a manned lab, and the Block IV mission module from BDB worked very well for this, but it was still too heavy. There doesn't seem to be a transfer tunnel, so I assumed that EVA was necessary to enter the lab using an airlock (I used the lightweight inflatable one). In this drawing note the very short, open bottom service module with solid retro motors. The SM equipment (RCS fuel, electrical) was arranged along the periphery of the SM with the retro motors in the center. 

So, have at it. I will be interested to see what you come up with and how it compares with my creation.

NOv3VE0.gif

Further research has turned up this site:

Apollo Preliminary Drawings

This site is devoted to a very early (1961-ish) Apollo lunar version, probably the direct ascent lander. But it incorporates drawings that better define the "space laboratory" shown in the drawing above. It turns out that a transposition and docking maneuver would be needed to use the lab. That solves one problem of how to access the lab. I am still fiddling with my design and will let you know how it turns out.

Scott Manley kitbashed the lander shown on this site using stock parts. It seems to have worked okay. It would look a lot better with BDB parts.

3 hours ago, hgordillo said:

Thanks everyone..wanted to focus more on flying than building but fair enough...be well,

Also BDB should have a fair number of craft files built in, especially if you downloaded via CKAN. Check your stock craft folder. There should be a bunch there.

4 hours ago, hgordillo said:

There's a complete set of craft files included with the mod download - if for some reason you can't find the folder you can get them off github here.  They match the build guides on the Unofficial Wiki and up to date as of the latest release.

Oh so the mod has crafts in it!  so cool.  I just noticed the mod has the craft files in folder outside of 'gamedata' and at least CKAN  does not install it anywhere so they do not get updated.  I copied mine in 'ships' in my save and was able to load them.   Is ther ea better place for these?  Good to be able to get them off GitHub too.  Many thanks guys.  

@hgordillo I had forgotten about the craft files that are distributed with the mod because I generally prefer to make my own builds. I do think it's worth saying that, while it's nice to just be able to pick up pre-built craft and play with them right away, one thing I find helpful about building them myself is that I become quite familiar with how things connect and thus how things can be put together in non-standard ways. If you want to build something that doesn't have a craft file for it, it's very useful to have already put together a lot of very similar things so that you have the intuition about what will work well. It's of course up to you whether you actually find that helpful, but I figured it's worth mentioning just in case.

21 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

one thing I find helpful about building them myself is that I become quite familiar with how things connect and thus how things can be put together in non-standard ways.

THIS is by far my favorite part of BDB. Throw together weird excrements and it'll stick if you know what you're doing.

For example, launching Voyager 73 on Saturn H-03, launching a few Saturn Vs and hodgepodging together S-IIs to get a nuclear interplanetary transport, using the Titan IIIE for the orbiter and atmospheric probe Pioneer-10x variants - this mod is at its most fun making silly but plausible creations like these

Has anyone ever thought about a "lite" version of Bluedog Design Bureau? I would like it to complement (re)stock parts. I really like the look and sophistication of the parts, but I think there are too many. It's useful when I want to make an exact copy of a real mission, but it's useless when I want to design a mission of my own. Many parts have only one (or a few) specific uses. I understand that this is probably the purpose of the mod, but I thought some lite version would be interesting as well.

Anyway, awesome mod