[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, Pudgemountain said:

I think that's the Voyager Mars lander which is part of this.mod pack.

It's a kitbash, the Voyager Mars lander in BDB looks significantly different

v0gs9No.pngPq75XYV.png

Edited by KeaKaka

On 3/24/2024 at 2:18 AM, Adventures said:

I keep getting a B9 part switch fatal error (Im on RP-1/RSS though Ckan)

Fatal exception while loading fields on module ModuleB9PartSwitch on part

exception while loading field subtypes on type B9PartSwitch.ModuleB9PartSwitch

exception while loading fields on subtype PartSubtype Supplies

exception while loading field tankType on a type B9PartSwitch.PartSubtype

No tank type named 'Supplies' exists

and it forces me to quit.

It only comes up when I have BDB installed

Any work around?

Thanks.

While its a RO install and so we don’t really offer support for that on our end, if you upload a zipped KSP.log file I can have a quick look to check. It’s likely due to some compatibility patch mis-activation, but given its to do with LS resources, it probably falls on RO to cover the patching.

JUMPSEAT

By the mid to late 1970's the omnipresent need to monitor Soviet radars and communications lead the United States to greatly expand the capabilities of their Signals Intelligence (SIGINT), Communications Intelligence (COMINT), and Electronic Intelligence (ELINT) satellites. These needs moved beyond the capabilities of the Heavy Ferret, Multigroup, and Strawman series of birds. The result was code-named Jumpseat (don't you love those Cold War era codenames? &)) The program is still mostly classified so very little hard info is available, but what various sources can agree on is that it moved away from the earlier Agena based spacecraft and used the Hughes HS-318 satellite bus, very similar to the preceding TACSAT. It also likely had a very large unfurlable antenna. It would combine several mission capabilities into one satellite and would monitor Soviet early warning missile radars, it would intercept line-of-sight microwave communications, and intercept up and down links from Soviet comms satellites. The launch vehicle would be the rather mysterious Titan 33B and 34B Agena D with a very long payload shroud that covered both the Agena and the Jumpseat spacecraft. The launch was from Vandenberg and the spacecraft went into a highly elliptical orbit so that the spacecraft would spend a long period over the planet's northern regions.

Spoiler

nDlwNj5.png

mJm7bqD.png

mN2dwYG.png

Z9eLu73.png

OZ7Kc3J.png

aiOdsek.png

The launch went well and the Agena reignited over the South Pole to put the Jumpseat into a 130 x 1000 km orbit with the high point over the North Pole. The spacecraft was successfully deployed and unfurled its antennas to begin its mission. Much useful data was recovered...

Spoiler

VpUmmuv.jpeg

lCf6H1t.jpeg

Nc2uXXJ.png

I used the BDB TACSAT bus and the Strawman SIGINT package. The large antenna is from Space Dust and the middle structure is Stock parts with a BDB Ranger bus and Nimbus antenna. I added a couple of extra antennas for visual effect. This configuration is highly speculative, as there are no publicly available pictures of Jumpseat, only some informed speculation. It is very possible that the large antenna was mounted axially on the centerline of the bus and unfurled in a manner similar to how the Galileo Jupiter probe antenna unfolded. There is a Stock antenna that does that, but the original size is small so when you Tweakscale it up it just didn't look right. With all of that said, I think this is a reasonable representation. One lesson learned... this configuration needs plenty of battery power in order to be able to transmit the SIGINT data without running out of power.

Edited by DaveyJ576
Added one part

I'm about ready to pull out my hair, I'm trying to troubleshoot some bugs with an old RealFuels patch, but for the life of me I cannot find the .cfg file for the latest version of the Kane-11-SE60 Service Propulsion System. What is it named? what folder is it even in? I can find it in game, but I can't find it anywhere in the Bluedog_DB folder.

Nevermind! I finally found it! it doesn't have the word "Engine" in it like every other Engine. If anyone else is looking, it's <bluedog_Apollo_Block2_SPS>

Edited by Katikar

In a lot of screenshots of the titan iii with the x-20 dyna-soar, the srbs have fins on them that I can't find in my install. Anyone know what they are? Here's a picture from the unofficial wiki
61121080-41f2ed80-a496-11e9-8d4e-e2fb644

18 hours ago, Rodger said:

While its a RO install and so we don’t really offer support for that on our end, if you upload a zipped KSP.log file I can have a quick look to check. It’s likely due to some compatibility patch mis-activation, but given its to do with LS resources, it probably falls on RO to cover the patching.

@Emperor of Ilve has made some

Link 

On 3/25/2024 at 1:54 AM, AdrianDogmeat said:

Mars Polar Lander - 2000

BeW8LdF.png

oOpW4tr.png

PpH3CJa.png

utKJOze.png

LmJFHJs.png

FqCLHSm.png

LDh3MMq.png

WQmNtoW.png

xhFukfZ.png

aDcYsRQ.png

MH6nSpP.png

wheres the aeroshell from?

might kitbash perce

59 minutes ago, kspbutitscursed said:

@Emperor of Ilve has made some

Link 

wheres the aeroshell from?

might kitbash perce

Voyager Mars Aeroshell

3 hours ago, cornchev said:

In a lot of screenshots of the titan iii with the x-20 dyna-soar, the srbs have fins on them that I can't find in my install. Anyone know what they are? Here's a picture from the unofficial wiki
61121080-41f2ed80-a496-11e9-8d4e-e2fb644

Oh yea those fins are from the old Saturn I/V parts (pre BDB 1.10)

Although I've played around with this mod for a couple months now, after starting to install more mods until I got to the point where the game isn't loading anymore, I've decided that I have no choice but to prune some of my biggest mods in an attempt to save my game.

Unfortunately, at an exceptionally massive 2.0 GB in size when installed, this mod was easily singled out, which is a shame, since it added so many new science experiments to the game. (That, and it's been marked as a dependency for several other mods that I liked, including Skyhawk Science System.)

However, perhaps this mod could be trimmed down in size? For starters, perhaps the core functionality of this mod could be split off into a core mod that the rest of the Bluedog Design Bureau gameplay experience would need to use as a dependency, while all those textures, 3d models, and such could be placed in separate mods, with options for using stock textures only (but original 3d models) for the highest performance experience, or for using original textures at low quality, or high quality, as desired by the player?

Hopefully, this mod would be improved such that I could afford to play it once more. However, until then, I'll have to make do without it.

2 hours ago, Shadow Wolf TJC said:

Although I've played around with this mod for a couple months now, after starting to install more mods until I got to the point where the game isn't loading anymore, I've decided that I have no choice but to prune some of my biggest mods in an attempt to save my game.

Unfortunately, at an exceptionally massive 2.0 GB in size when installed, this mod was easily singled out, which is a shame, since it added so many new science experiments to the game. (That, and it's been marked as a dependency for several other mods that I liked, including Skyhawk Science System.)

However, perhaps this mod could be trimmed down in size? For starters, perhaps the core functionality of this mod could be split off into a core mod that the rest of the Bluedog Design Bureau gameplay experience would need to use as a dependency, while all those textures, 3d models, and such could be placed in separate mods, with options for using stock textures only (but original 3d models) for the highest performance experience, or for using original textures at low quality, or high quality, as desired by the player?

Hopefully, this mod would be improved such that I could afford to play it once more. However, until then, I'll have to make do without it.

It’s already set up for fairly simple pruning - you should be able to freely remove part family folders inside the parts folder. Eg if you don’t want titans or the probes, you can delete the respective folders.

16 hours ago, Spacenerd1337 said:

what do you mean?

This generally means a copy of your ksp.log, which is required by anyone doing troubleshooting for modded ksp. (The log will also include the mod list so you dont need to worry about that separately)

However for your original question, it’s possible you’re just experiencing a quirk of TU, where parts in the part list will look much shinier than they are meant to, and once you pick them out they will look much less bright, as intended. It should look similar to the image in the first post of this thread.

10 hours ago, Shadow Wolf TJC said:

On 9/30/2015 at 2:21 AM, CobaltWolf said:

I don't want to download all this, can you split up the mod?

I wish it was that easy! At this point, splitting up the mod would be a good deal of work, as well as additional overhead to maintain. Additionally, despite the frequency this gets asked, nobody seems to agree on how the mod should be split up! However, the mod is easily prunable. Deleting folders inside Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Parts/ will delete that part family without breaking other parts of the mod. For finer pruning, mods like Janitor's Closet can be used to remove parts from within the game.

Answered by an easy read through the original post.

Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2024 at 8:33 AM, Emperor of Ilve said:

In my work on the RO configs for BDB. I'm having trouble finding sources for many parts. Though the A-7 Quad eludes me, is this a real part or is it just fictional and made for BDB?

If it's a real proposal if anyone could redirect me to sources regarding it that would be much appreciated.

On 3/24/2024 at 10:16 AM, Pappystein said:

I believe it is Fictional but based on real hypothetical discussions on how to increase thrust for Rocket.   A road not traveled

It's uh... well, when I was working on the Redstone, around the same time I saw some close up pictures of a Long March 1 rocket? And I really wanted to make an engine like it. Of course, having 4x the power of the normal Redstone was too much, so I just scaled it down to something reasonable for LVs of that diameter. It's an entirely made up part I came up with one evening.

11 hours ago, Shadow Wolf TJC said:

9 hours ago, Rodger said:

It’s already set up for fairly simple pruning - you should be able to freely remove part family folders inside the parts folder. Eg if you don’t want titans or the probes, you can delete the respective folders.

1 hour ago, Razgriz1 said:

Answered by an easy read through the original post.

I had typed up a reply to this, then went back to the previous page and lost what I'd typed. But the part quoted by @Razgriz1is correct. You can go into Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Parts/ and delete things there on a folder-by-folder basis. The "ProbesExpansion" folder can also be pruned by subfolder. You can even delete late-game stuff, like Apollo and Saturn, at the beginning of a save and then add it back in later.

Edited by CobaltWolf

For now, I've removed the mod (plus all the other mods that depended on it) from my GameData folder via CKAN, though only after I made backups of all those mods beforehand for archiving (like I did during my Starbound modding days).

Personally, trimming this mod down won't be as easy for me as anyone reading this might at 1st think, since while I may not care all that much about most parts (such as, in general, engines, fuel tanks, aerodynamic surfaces, structural parts, command pods, probe cores, etc.), one notable exception would be the science experiments. Those I personally enjoy quite a bit, and I'm hoping to port them over to a new derivative mod that I'd like to keep for myself... for now.

1 hour ago, Shadow Wolf TJC said:

For now, I've removed the mod (plus all the other mods that depended on it) from my GameData folder via CKAN, though only after I made backups of all those mods beforehand for archiving (like I did during my Starbound modding days).

Personally, trimming this mod down won't be as easy for me as anyone reading this might at 1st think, since while I may not care all that much about most parts (such as, in general, engines, fuel tanks, aerodynamic surfaces, structural parts, command pods, probe cores, etc.), one notable exception would be the science experiments. Those I personally enjoy quite a bit, and I'm hoping to port them over to a new derivative mod that I'd like to keep for myself... for now.

If you only want to keep the experiments, all you have to do is delete all subfolders in the \GameData\Bluedog_DB\Parts folder except the `Science` folder

20 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

If you only want to keep the experiments, all you have to do is delete all subfolders in the \GameData\Bluedog_DB\Parts folder except the `Science` folder

There also seem to be science experiments within parts located in other folders besides the Science folder. For example, various probe cores also carry various experiments, including some that are unique, and can't be found within the Science folder, like weather or SIGINT, and I think I'd like to keep those as well.

1 hour ago, Cheesecake said:

1 hour ago, Shadow Wolf TJC said:

There also seem to be science experiments within parts located in other folders besides the Science folder. For example, various probe cores also carry various experiments, including some that are unique, and can't be found within the Science folder, like weather or SIGINT, and I think I'd like to keep those as well.

I don't think we've added stuff to the Science folder since... back before BDB was a dedicated historical rocketry mod :P

4 hours ago, Shadow Wolf TJC said:

You can expedite the process of finding science parts you want to save by creating a copy of bdb and using a batch (.bat) file to rename .cfg files to .txt files in the copy, so that it's easier to search. or maybe theres a file  manager that won't mind reading the content .cfg files. I use this .bat file:

@ECHO OFF
PUSHD .
FOR /R %%d IN (.) DO (
cd "%%d"
IF EXIST *.cfg (
REN *.cfg *.txt
)
)
POPD

From there, you can look in Bluedog_DB\Resources\ to see the science experiments the mod adds and search for them in the parts folders

Edited by cornchev
clarification