[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

48 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Just wanna say, I think the old Hermes IVA doesn't really match up as well, and I think Mk1 IVA would be most suitable at this point. I've done an internal conversion and it works the best. No periscope, but I'll take it.

I hope Cobalt won't waste his time on IVAs. They are quite time-consuming, and IVA view is used only by a handful of people.

35 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

I am having an issue where my engines keep overheating after I turn them on

You mean activate them, but keeping them on 0% throttle?

10 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

I hope Cobalt won't waste his time on IVAs. They are quite time-consuming, and IVA view is used only by a handful of people.

I don't expect him to.

Granted I like looking out the window and seeing Kerbin through my station, or look back outside of Kerballo and see Kerbin receding from view, but Cobalt has long stated he has no desire to make IVAs. Maybe someday, someone will step up to make them properly, but that's not my or Cobalt's place.

I'm just saying maybe he should switch out the old Hermes with the new Mercury capsule (can't remember its Kerbalized name). 

Lunar Recon Gemini parts: i suppose this is early pre-alpha, since they have dummy configs? Parts themselves are quite nice, though. I don't see any visual bugs.

9 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

No just when I am actually throttling them

What engines do you try to use, and where (atmo\vacuum)? Do you use any other mods that may affect heating? There is a patch in dev version that brings heat levels to more realistic values, but from what I'm seeing, it does not involve excessive overheating, at least not on stock heat system.

Edited by biohazard15

1 hour ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Would it be possible to look into making the middle hole of the drop-tank agena fairing ring resizeable for use with stuff like HOSS, IUS and the Peacekeeper SRMs?

Also making it fit 6 tanks varient either by bigger ring or Hummer head fairing

3 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Would it be possible to look into making the middle hole of the drop-tank agena fairing ring resizeable for use with stuff like HOSS, IUS and the Peacekeeper SRMs?

1 hour ago, derega16 said:

Also making it fit 6 tanks varient either by bigger ring or Hummer head fairing

So just like, variants with different size holes..?

I normally use the CT3 fairing boattail for that.

22 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Lunar Recon Gemini parts: i suppose this is early pre-alpha, since they have dummy configs? Parts themselves are quite nice, though. I don't see any visual bugs.

I mean, yeah usually I don't do anything balance wise I just upload the parts so @Jso can balance them when they get a chance.

Speaking of Lunar Recon Gemini, that reminds me I forgot to post pics...

FpWoDcf.png
elGF1Jx.png
n6t7z5w.png
0uspywk.png
67tQxQ5.png
XA3UqbL.png
hyYLpEx.png
ercnonM.png
brjoF7I.png
P8QqDRX.png

A small sanity check: I just started a career Bluedog Design Bureau and JNSQ/Principia. Built a Scout rocket with minimal payload (just a core and some batteries). This rocket escapes Kerbin by a lot, and I have yet to ignite the last stage.

The last time I played with BDB, I used a Stock system with a 2.5X rescale and I could make it to LKO, but not much more.  I wonder if the BDB somehow got rescaled and is now overpowered. 

28 minutes ago, Bongotastic said:

Scout rocket ... escapes Kerbin by a lot

We felt it would be physically too small to be useful at correct scale so it's supersized. Think of it as a Scout-XL with a Castor 4 second stage, and larger first stage.

2 hours ago, Jso said:

We felt it would be physically too small to be useful at correct scale so it's supersized. Think of it as a Scout-XL with a Castor 4 second stage, and larger first stage.

Thanks, flying a bit better and I can get it to behave. Coming from RO/RSS/RP-1, I’ve had my share of tiny rockets ;). I honestly like the initial struggle to get to orbit. 

BDB is the way to go,

Edited by Bongotastic

Okay, I kinda asked this question in the History of Spaceflight thread, but I thought I'd ask it here for opinion on a BDB solution -

The contract pack includes the Transit/GRAB dual payload (and then triple payload) launches.  As it stands with BDB, there aren't bespoke Transit and GRAB models.  You can get close, but I've run into a problem with getting them to stack while putting on the helical relay antenna needed to complete the contract since the antenna will only connect on the node at the top of the Transit stand-in (can't remember right now which one it is) and then I'm not seeing a hidden node or anything to couple to.  Also, considering that the base satellite is supposed to be a relay sat, maybe I should be changing its internals to have a relay antenna instead of just an omni since the satellite is actually a relay satellite (in addition to having an omni antenna for control)?

Thoughts?  I don't think how it's done now is wrong at all, just trying to figure out where my thought process is failing. :)

Zeus VII basically Saturn II on steroid with seven HG-3  (Vac not SL) first stage, outer engines fixed roll control by RCS on second stage with two single F-1A boosters and single J-2X (BDB one) second stage. About 70t LKO eventough it can barely lift of the ground (TWR 1.1) with that much payload but I can't find any engine plate that can fit two F-1A on 3.125 or 3.75 diameter without cliping and I don't like Re-stock+'s Boar as it is too under sized for F-1B.

19Z8BAC.jpg

iHga6GN.jpg

LJsfbNG.jpg

T4J5tFM.jpg

cvmXtmu.jpg

9V0aFS1.jpg

4vJR9U6.jpg

OSHvYt0.jpg

Payload: two 6t Laythe lander with course correctiontion stage build-in multi payload adapter total 14.4t

About engine plate whenever you make another Saturn revamp, I think 3.75 sized plate that can fit 2 F1 might be a nice addition, for Saturn c3 or V24(L)

Edited by derega16

3 hours ago, derega16 said:

Zeus VII basically Saturn II on steroid with seven HG-3  (Vac not SL) first stage, outer engines fixed roll control by RCS on second stage with two single F-1A boosters and single J-2X (BDB one) second stage. About 70t LKO eventough it can barely lift of the ground (TWR 1.1) with that much payload but I can't find any engine plate that can fit two F-1A on 3.125 or 3.75 diameter without cliping and I don't like Re-stock+'s Boar as it is too under sized for F-1B.

Payload: two 6t Laythe lander with course correctiontion stage build-in multi payload adapter total 14.4t

About engine plate whenever you make another Saturn revamp, I think 3.75 sized plate that can fit 2 F1 might be a nice addition, for Saturn c3 or V4(L)

Can't see the images. Also, where'd you get an HG-3?

Cobalt hasn't started on his Apollo/Saturn remake let alone unbuilt designs.

1 hour ago, davidy12 said:

Can't see the images. Also, where'd you get an HG-3?

Cobalt hasn't started on his Apollo/Saturn remake let alone unbuilt designs.

Fixed it. HG-3 is in BDB extra folder it is just J-2 with different specs.

Edited by derega16

Last week I grabbed the latest dev branches and went to work making a few U.S. historical rockets, which I humbly offer to anyone who might be interested in some pre-builts that are fun/challenging to fly. Spoiler below contains an image of all 11 rockets, and link. These require BDB, MLP, and ProbesPlus. I built them on KSRSS 2.5x, so they should work the same in JNSQ.

Spoiler

My github: https://github.com/OrbitalManeuvers/om-sample-craft

Disclaimer: I aimed for a reasonable level of accuracy on these ... but my "reasonable" might not be the same as yours! These are just for fun, and to try flying the missions somewhat like the real ones. Github link has more info on each build.

F47ck7W.png

@derega16 Nice design, looks good but i have a question: What are the Zeus

I to VI designs ;):D

7 hours ago, MashAndBangers said:

Rocket failed to make orbit due to weight of payload.  Oopsie on my part.

but the design of am Mol und the 3-M just looks nice. And: I have lost 3 of the last 5 launches on the same way.... (testing a design inspired by the ETS Delta 4000 Series)

3 hours ago, JoeSheridan said:

@derega16 Nice design, looks good but i have a question: What are the Zeus

I to VI designs ;):D

Second stage, 1st tank length and boosters. But boosters are just mainly to attain some altitude as seven HG-3 have so terribe SL thurst, while not bad as RL-10s, they can't lift itself off the ground even having ridiculously high dV for 1st in the most case 2st is just payload all it job is circularize and ejection burn.

Edited by derega16