[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.14.0 "металл" 30/Sep/2024)

CobaltWolf

6 minutes ago, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

Don't tease us like that! I know we're still a long way out, but do you have any plans on sourcing an Apollo capsule? The stock pod would probably do, unless you want to make one, or outsource it to @Beale. Certainly turned out well this time.

Well since he is going to make the Apollo pimp-module, he is probably going to make the cm. Plus the stock one isn't really a apollo style, it's more centered around Orion which cobalt, unless it's 45 years in the future, isnt going to be a thing.

21 minutes ago, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

Don't tease us like that! I know we're still a long way out, but do you have any plans on sourcing an Apollo capsule? The stock pod would probably do, unless you want to make one, or outsource it to @Beale. Certainly turned out well this time.

Well I'd make my own Apollo CSM. Beale's Gemini was a matter of timing (He was looking into revamping his own), me not wanting to do it (I just don't like gemini, the full canon CSM is a really boring design to me) and me already having an appropriately scaled Titan. So yeah, I'd just make the CSM once I get to it.

3 hours ago, passinglurker said:

Ack! I've been spotted! >.>

Yeah with 1.1 coming out I'm lurking my way back in. I might start making tiny part mods or something again too I'm mostly waiting till all the changes to how one mods in 1.1 come to light. ;)

Cool! Good to see you back. I hope I took good care of the Hermes - I think you'd left before I got around to finishing it.

2 hours ago, fs10inator said:

@CobaltWolf I remember almost 2 months ago, you said this about the LE-5 engine:

But there was one thing about the engine that I forgot to ask you about...

What do you think of all this stuff above the nozzle? Pipework etc.

I'm not sure. It's basically a big nozzle with a ton of tightly packed, very small pipework. KSP engines (at least, stockalike ones) don't lend themselves to being dependent on small details. Generally speaking with KSP engines I start from the biggest, most basic features and then work down to the next biggest things, etc until its sufficiently detailed. With the LE-5 It's the bell and then all tiny tiny details. There's nothing really interesting / unique about it aesthetically I think.

On 3/31/2016 at 0:40 AM, akron said:

Open "Your Steam directory \steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Bluedog_DB\Resources\ScienceDefs.cfg"

Find the bd_hydrometer experiment (It should be around the 6th one down) and try replacing it with this:

EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION
{	
	id = bd_hydrometer
	title = Hydrometer Scan
	baseValue = 9
	scienceCap = 9
	dataScale = 1
	requireAtmosphere = True
	situationMask = 15
	biomeMask = 1
	RESULTS
	{
	default = You measure the amount of moisture in the planet's atmosphere.
	}
}

By the way, this is totally not endorsed by @CobaltWolf but it's something to get you by until it is patched in the next release.

Sorry for hijacking a response. I'll go in the corner now and write some more ScienceDefs :blush:

OMG Thank you so much. I was looking in the part config before, I needed to be in the resource folder, thank you for steering me in the right direction. It's working now!  Side Note: I don't use Steam LOL

@Beale & @CobaltWolf & @VenomousRequiem & @Any Tantares/BDB collaborators : An idea I had is that, since Gemini is being incorporated into BDB (I think, or will it always be a standalone as TRAILS?) maybe some technology transfer can happen. Earlier it was brought up that some Soviet probes are being made in BDB, maybe they should be gifted to Tantares once finished? Maybe some weird size rockets (1.5m or 1.875m) could be made for Tantares to represent stuff like Dnepr and Tsiklon in between Soyuz and Proton?  Anyway just a thought. It makes me so happy you all collaborate so much.

17 hours ago, OTmikhail said:

@Beale & @CobaltWolf & @VenomousRequiem & @Any Tantares/BDB collaborators : An idea I had is that, since Gemini is being incorporated into BDB (I think, or will it always be a standalone as TRAILS?) maybe some technology transfer can happen. Earlier it was brought up that some Soviet probes are being made in BDB, maybe they should be gifted to Tantares once finished? Maybe some weird size rockets (1.5m or 1.875m) could be made for Tantares to represent stuff like Dnepr and Tsiklon in between Soyuz and Proton?  Anyway just a thought. It makes me so happy you all collaborate so much.

TRAILS is being incorporated into BDB but will also always be available as a standalone download. :)

Right now I have parts planned for the Europa rocket, to go on top of @Beale's Blue Streak. I think they're listed on the roadmap if you're curious as to what parts specifically. Tantares already supports 1.875m. Beale probably will never support 1.5m, too much pushback; that's why TRAILS uses 1.5m and is a separate mod. As for the early soviet probes, I think the only one I got around to was making a probe core for Sputnik 3 / Object D. I mean, if Beale wants that I wouldn't be opposed to giving it to him...?

EDIT: Think I was a little unclear when I posted this last night - the plan is to donate the Europa parts to Tantares.

Edited by CobaltWolf

@CobaltWolf I have downloaded and used this mod since it was first released but I was never able to use the forum due to *ahem* reasons. But I have finally got a profile and I would just like to thank you and everyone who has made this mod a thing. It is my most essential mod and with the cooperation with Tantares this is just going to get better and better. Thank you!

PS: Will that user manual continue to be updated? Because I am on holiday and with my limited WiFi a printed version of the manual has saved me loads of time remembering how to assemble each rocket, so it would be great if this continued to be a thing.

3 hours ago, OrangeMarauder said:

PS: Will that user manual continue to be updated? Because I am on holiday and with my limited WiFi a printed version of the manual has saved me loads of time remembering how to assemble each rocket, so it would be great if this continued to be a thing.

I think I can respond to this :P So yes the manual will be updated, when I'm going to be on holiday I'll spend more time on it with @CobaltWolf there's still a lot to do !
Also I'm glad to here the manual has served you well !

7 hours ago, OrangeMarauder said:

@CobaltWolf I have downloaded and used this mod since it was first released but I was never able to use the forum due to *ahem* reasons. But I have finally got a profile and I would just like to thank you and everyone who has made this mod a thing. It is my most essential mod and with the cooperation with Tantares this is just going to get better and better. Thank you!

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it! I really can't take sole credit - @VenomousRequiem, @Jso and a lot of other people have all contributed a ton to the mod. If you enjoy the BDB/Tantares 'big ol bin of parts' thing, check out @akron's Probes Plus pack, it's really cool. :)

As @DiscoSlelge said, we will continue to update and expand the manual, adding new sections and expanding the ones currently in it. It will be included in future downloads of the mod.

EDIT: Also, why is the Hamburger Helper mixtape so good.

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, OrangeMarauder said:

Made Objekt D / Sputnik 3 with BDB parts. Launched by @Beale 's R-7. Seriously loving this mod. I would show an image but when ever I paste it it doesnt appear. Someone help pleez:huh:

You have to upload it to Imgur and then paste the image URL (ie right click > copy image address)

EDIT: @OrangeMarauder oh you're trying to link the album. If you right click this image you can see what address you needed to paste in.

u5xtxCj.png

EDIT: Small update on progress - I've been having trouble with the M17 Solar Antenna revamp, I've somehow managed to break it. I'm still trying to finish the antenna revamps.

EDIT2: Seems to be working now.

Edited by CobaltWolf

87 pages of a forum is a bit much to read so I am just going to ask...

the Digital camera does not seem to do anything, is this not finished?

the Magnetometer boom will not extend. again not finished?

Is a Mass Spectrometer not usable in orbit?

19 minutes ago, Bit Fiddler said:

Check if you have the DMagicScienceAnimate folder in your GameData. It's included in the download.

7 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

7 hours ago, Jso said:

Check if you have the DMagicScienceAnimate folder in your GameData. It's included in the download.

Yes, double check that you installed everything. :) Those two experiments along with some others rely entirely on the generic version of DMagicScienceAnimate. You'll need to have that folder in your gamedata.

As for the Mass Spectrometer, no, I don't believe it's usable in orbit. I believe the plan was to have a separate experiment for the orbital version. Wouldn't that be fun to use - different versions of the same experiments, specialized for use in space, landed, maybe even a different one for atmospheric planets. @akron what do you think? 

Also, yes, things have been slow. I am currently working two jobs and have had some personal stuff take up what otherwise would have been free time. Rest assured that I'm still working on getting an update out for the 1.1 official release. 

Edited by CobaltWolf

4 minutes ago, Bit Fiddler said:

Thanks I guess I am missing that Dmagic bit.  I was under the assumption it was part of Dmagic orbital science stuff.

No, there is a separate version that he maintains that is for use by other mods. It hasn't been updated for 1.1 yet though, meant to say that in my last post.

this is on my 105 setup.   but I am eager to see all my "must have mods" (which yours are quickly becoming) get updated for 1.1.

I really only play in career mode, so any mods that add stuff to further the career game are on my list.  I do not play just to "make it work" but I really like mods that are "realistic" in the kerbal way.  things that look and feel like they actually would work. and the idea of "RP" is high on my list so the things like the ALSEP I really like.  all the interaction with KIS and KAS and reworking satellites while in orbit etc.   that is what makes this game for me.  so all your science bits make a huge impact.  I can send up missions to reconfigure orbiting platforms to use new science bits with KIS/KAS, so all the little gizmos you make are great.

15 minutes ago, Bit Fiddler said:

this is on my 105 setup.   but I am eager to see all my "must have mods" (which yours are quickly becoming) get updated for 1.1.

I really only play in career mode, so any mods that add stuff to further the career game are on my list.  I do not play just to "make it work" but I really like mods that are "realistic" in the kerbal way.  things that look and feel like they actually would work. and the idea of "RP" is high on my list so the things like the ALSEP I really like.  all the interaction with KIS and KAS and reworking satellites while in orbit etc.   that is what makes this game for me.  so all your science bits make a huge impact.  I can send up missions to reconfigure orbiting platforms to use new science bits with KIS/KAS, so all the little gizmos you make are great.

Oh, thank you! Does KIS work with any of the BDB parts..? I never configured anything for it. 

29 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

As for the Mass Spectrometer, no, I don't believe it's usable in orbit. I believe the plan was to have a separate experiment for the orbital version. Wouldn't that be fun to use - different versions of the same experiments, specialized for use in space, landed, maybe even a different one for atmospheric planets. @akron what do you think? 

If you want to go for some realism, then yes. A surface mass spec would take a sample and run it in an internal chamber, like mars lander/rover

Just now, Bit Fiddler said:

well with some MM magic yes.   just have to make a MM patch to add in the KIS / KAS stuff.  that is what I am currently working on.

If you ever finish them let me know, I could throw them into the compatibility folder.

Just now, akron said:

If you want to go for some realism, then yes. A surface mass spec would take a sample and run it in an internal chamber, like mars lander/rover

Pros being that you can't turn an orbiter into a lander just because you packed spare deltaV. Cons being that I'd have to make twice as many models and textures for science parts.

@Bit Fiddler you should check out Akron's Probes Plus mod if you like BDB.

Hey y'all! On the off chance that any of you were dying to try out the Agena docking port, I've pushed a dev build to GitHub. It includes the touched up Atlas, Mercury and Agena, includes the Agena Docking Port and Antenna, a couple new antennas as well as breaking all the old ones. It also includes @Beale's latest TRAILS beta, so that you can recreate a Gemini docking with an Agena Target Vehicle. It theoretically was all tested in 1.1. I need to know if people can reliably dock Gemini and Agena, and if the problems with the Mercury capsule throwing EVA kerbals around are fixed.

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Hey y'all! On the off chance that any of you were dying to try out the Agena docking port, I've pushed a dev build to GitHub. It includes the touched up Atlas, Mercury and Agena, includes the Agena Docking Port and Antenna, a couple new antennas as well as breaking all the old ones. It also includes @Beale's latest TRAILS beta, so that you can recreate a Gemini docking with an Agena Target Vehicle. It theoretically was all tested in 1.1. I need to know if people can reliably dock Gemini and Agena, and if the problems with the Mercury capsule throwing EVA kerbals around are fixed.

Yay! Gemini 8 here I come. Also, is are there any Surveyor parts in BDB? Trying to do the US half of the space race.

@CobaltWolf Just tested that dev version and everything looks good. The only things that I was confused by was the apparent lack of 'chute for the capsule (maybe I missed it, or maybe there isn't one), the lack of an IVA for Gemini (yes, I know its a WIP but would Beale let you use the IVA from the 2.5 m Gemini in Tantares? Because that one is really good), and the lack of a retro pack. I know that there are probably great explanations for all of these, but  these are just my observations

PS Loving all of the revamped parts, especially Atlas. :)

4 hours ago, OrangeMarauder said:

Yay! Gemini 8 here I come. Also, is are there any Surveyor parts in BDB? Trying to do the US half of the space race.

3 hours ago, OrangeMarauder said:

@CobaltWolf Just tested that dev version and everything looks good. The only things that I was confused by was the apparent lack of 'chute for the capsule (maybe I missed it, or maybe there isn't one), the lack of an IVA for Gemini (yes, I know its a WIP but would Beale let you use the IVA from the 2.5 m Gemini in Tantares? Because that one is really good), and the lack of a retro pack. I know that there are probably great explanations for all of these, but  these are just my observations

PS Loving all of the revamped parts, especially Atlas. :)

I think Surveyor got moved to Coatl Aerospace. I've been offloading probe stuff onto @akron since I figure most people really just want me to get to Apollo at this point.

The chute is a separate part. @Beale is making an IVA for the capsule (do you know that it is his part..?). Retropack, well, idk. Kind of unnecessary in KSP. However I think the smaller Blue Gemini service module he was planning would work well with the small retros.

Also, belated thank you to @politas! BDB is now CKAN indexed! It only took 7 months.

9 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

latest?cb=20141124020151

Many thanks @CobaltWolf