Depreciated SVE -Do Not Enter-

Nhawks17

14 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

I'm a little confused as to what you're saying, the auroras are actually less static in 0.6.x than they have been in any previous version of SVE :huh:

Then I may be a little confused in my rememberings - or maybe I'm mixed up with stock EVE... but as I recall, the auroras used to be a solid band of energy circling the pole, circling it slowly. It's far more spotty now, and the spots themselves do not shift or move in any fashion, other than (possibly) some cloud layers moving rapidly through it to try to provide the illusion of movement, which is not (in my mind) successful in that regard. It's way down on the priority list, but seeing the look of these improve would be wonderful.

1 hour ago, Space Cat said:

Clouds are not working properly. Both the volumetric and the clouds that are just a texture you can see in space are not working. I am using the version of SVE that is in CKAN, with the high resolution texture pack installed. I have also deleted the CityLights.dll. They were sorta working earlier, but for some reason this mod breaks in different ways every time you install it, even when you are installing the exact same files.

Update: Using a version of the plugins directly from Github made things worse.

Update 2: Using the versions of everything from Github crashes the game with a crash log that suggests I'm running out of ram, even though I have plenty and and using 64 bit.

Update 3: Not using either the Github version or the texture pack makes the game crash as soon as its done loading with no log.

Update 4: By mixing and matching files from different versions, I managed to break this mod in such a way that it does not crash the game, but it also does not do anything. Its like its not even installed, except for the ram usage.

I give up, I'm just gonna wait until you update this mod, that will probably fix it.

WRT your first screenshot - the clouds do not always show properly in the menu screen anyhow, so that's not always an indicator that there is a problem. I had that earlier today myself, and loading up my save gave it all back with no issues. Don't rely on the menu screen to judge if it's working.

For the second... wow. Not sure how that happened - certainly not something I've seen before.

I'll do a quick checklist here for you :

1) CKAN and SVE. No. Just... No. I saw it posted a version that is supposed to be 1.1 compatible, but it's at least one or two iterations out of date. So yeah.... NO.

2) To clear out things for the best shot at a good install, remove the EVE and SVE folders completely. You probably did this in your testing, but if not, that could be some of the problem. I included this step for completeness.

3) No Kopernicus as of yet... while it HAS had a 1.1 update, the configs for it here aren't yet. So, like step one... NO(t yet).

4) Use ONLY the EVE folder from the GitHub release of SVE. There is no need to grab the EVE on CKAN (again.. CKAN... NO!) and put that in, then put in SVE's version on top of that. Bad Things (tm) will happen... and have in the past.

Give that all a shot, see if it works. If it's still all gooned up, I suggest a fresh install of KSP to give you a solid baseline installation, then only installing SVE to get it working first, then other mods on top of that.

2 hours ago, Shadriss said:

WRT your first screenshot - the clouds do not always show properly in the menu screen anyhow, so that's not always an indicator that there is a problem. I had that earlier today myself, and loading up my save gave it all back with no issues. Don't rely on the menu screen to judge if it's working.

The way that Kerbin looks in the main menu was the same as it did when I loaded up a save, I just did not take a screen shot when the game was actually loaded. Thanks for the advice with CKAN, I wrongly assumed it was properly maintained.

2 hours ago, Shadriss said:

1) CKAN and SVE. No. Just... No. I saw it posted a version that is supposed to be 1.1 compatible, but it's at least one or two iterations out of date. So yeah.... NO.

2) To clear out things for the best shot at a good install, remove the EVE and SVE folders completely. You probably did this in your testing, but if not, that could be some of the problem. I included this step for completeness.

3) No Kopernicus as of yet... while it HAS had a 1.1 update, the configs for it here aren't yet. So, like step one... NO(t yet).

4) Use ONLY the EVE folder from the GitHub release of SVE. There is no need to grab the EVE on CKAN (again.. CKAN... NO!) and put that in, then put in SVE's version on top of that. Bad Things (tm) will happen... and have in the past.

CKAN forces you to get EVE on top of SVE. Thanks for the advice about CKAN though, I wrongly assumed that it was properly maintained.

After following your advice, stuff is still screwed up. The ground on Kerbin is entirely black, but at some angles this happens.The planets are also screwed up. This is Kerbin. Duna and Laythe have a similar problem. Every atmosphere-less body except for Dres and Moho look like this. Jool looks like crap, but that is a feature, not a bug.:D Both Jool and Eve have this problem if you are not super close. That static stuff is jumping all over the place btw. This is after a fresh install. Its probably messed up shaders.

Update: Is almost certainly shaders, disabling the atmosphere shaders fixes the problem but also removes the most important feature of this mod. Using textures from older versions of this mod don't fix the problem. The terrain shaders are also still messed up. Disabling Planetshine did not fix anything either.

Edited by Space Cat

7 hours ago, Shadriss said:

Then I may be a little confused in my rememberings - or maybe I'm mixed up with stock EVE... but as I recall, the auroras used to be a solid band of energy circling the pole, circling it slowly. It's far more spotty now, and the spots themselves do not shift or move in any fashion, other than (possibly) some cloud layers moving rapidly through it to try to provide the illusion of movement, which is not (in my mind) successful in that regard. It's way down on the priority list, but seeing the look of these improve would be wonderful.

For the second... wow. Not sure how that happened - certainly not something I've seen before.

I'll do a quick checklist here for you :

Give that all a shot, see if it works. If it's still all gooned up, I suggest a fresh install of KSP to give you a solid baseline installation, then only installing SVE to get it working first, then other mods on top of that.

This is such a surprise.  On another forum a member used this mod along with 4 other graphic ones and swore by it.  But I have had some bizarre quirkiness too.  Now I'm starting to think it was a bad idea going with CKAN?

@Space Cat Ok so.. I'm just gonna suggest to you, do NOT install SVE through CKAN. I'm almost 100% positive that the version on that is super super super super old (I don't use CKAN so I can't check) and it's going to break anything and everything. First and foremost, go in and delete everything that related to SVE (the SVE folder, EVE, Scatterer, Kopernicus) and go into github and grab the latest version. Extract that to your Gamedata. If you want Scatterer, grab that too just don't install Kopernicus because you don't need it anymore. If you're crashing, check that you are launching through the 64-bit binary as Steam is currently experiencing issues if you launch directly through it by only launching the 32-bit client even if you choose otherwise.

23 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SVE v0.6.4

- City Lights texture mask switched to .png and scaled correctly

- Light detail texture adjustments

- KSP-AVC support added

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The holy blue text blesses you on this Friday

Quick question. Not that it matters with 64 bit but does it have to be .png for it fix the issues I was having or is both the scaling and it needs to be png? Isn't dds a better for memory conservation? Again of that what it has to be then so be it and with 64 bit it shouldn't matter much. Just curious. 

11 minutes ago, Zarbizaure said:

Is the UR resolution safe with KSP 1.1? Or it is gonna eat my processor capabilities and kill KSP? (I have 8gb ram)

It's safe yes... If it's going to eat your processor, I don't know? You can always test it.

Just now, sp1989 said:

Quick question. Not that it matters with 64 bit but does it have to be .png for it fix the issues I was having or is both the scaling and it needs to be png? Isn't dds a better for memory conservation? Again of that what it has to be then so be it and with 64 bit it shouldn't matter much. Just curious. 

It doesn't have to be .png no, however I noticed with this particular texture that when it was in DDS the file size was 1-2MB while when I had it in PNG it was something like 127kB. The thing that really matters here is the scaling.

8 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

It doesn't have to be .png no, however I noticed with this particular texture that when it was in DDS the file size was 1-2MB while when I had it in PNG it was something like 127kB. The thing that really matters here is the scaling.

Well that's perfect then

8 hours ago, Space Cat said:

Update: Is almost certainly shaders, disabling the atmosphere shaders fixes the problem but also removes the most important feature of this mod. Using textures from older versions of this mod don't fix the problem. The terrain shaders are also still messed up. Disabling Planetshine did not fix anything either.

That is making it sound more like your version of scatterer (if you are using it?) may be the wrong one as well. SVE uses configs of scatterer, so if turning off the atmosphere settings causes the issue to go away, that would be the next thing I check.

1 hour ago, Nhawks17 said:

@Space Cat Ok so.. I'm just gonna suggest to you, do NOT install SVE through CKAN. I'm almost 100% positive that the version on that is super super super super old (I don't use CKAN so I can't check) and it's going to break anything and everything.

I am curious how it showed up on CKAN in the last day or so, then... was somebody trying to generate the netkan file lately? I sem to recall someone saying that a few pages back, but tbh, I can't be bothered to go back that far... If someone is, they are adding so much confusion to this process it's not even funny. @Nhawks17: you may want to consider overhauling the OP and putting "DO NOT USE CKAN INSTALLS" in big bold letters somewhere, along with updating the install instructions. Somehow, we're getting all the literate people here who actually read and try to follow the instructions. Hard to admit, I know, but somehow, they are...

14 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

That is making it sound more like your version of scatterer (if you are using it?) may be the wrong one as well. SVE uses configs of scatterer, so if turning off the atmosphere settings causes the issue to go away, that would be the next thing I check.

I am curious how it showed up on CKAN in the last day or so, then... was somebody trying to generate the netkan file lately? I sem to recall someone saying that a few pages back, but tbh, I can't be bothered to go back that far... If someone is, they are adding so much confusion to this process it's not even funny. @Nhawks17: you may want to consider overhauling the OP and putting "DO NOT USE CKAN INSTALLS" in big bold letters somewhere, along with updating the install instructions. Somehow, we're getting all the literate people here who actually read and try to follow the instructions. Hard to admit, I know, but somehow, they are...

Do you have CKAN? Can you show me a picture of what is showing up on it?

Yarp. Installing SVE through CKAN was messy. Removed everything and installed manually to make it work. CKAN is a nice tool but right now with the 1.1 transition its not stable to use. Right now I am just testing 1.1 but once I start a career I'll unintall and install with hand picked mods and KSP-AVC. 

CKAN in and of itself is not the issue - it's pretty stable. It's all the 'unauthorized' netkan files pulling things that aren't ready, or that the author him/herself didn't want to exist, as is the case here. NHawks doesn't want this on CKAN... yet... and still, there it is in the list, and not up to date, nor does it appear to be offering links to all FOUR versions of resolution. Additionally, it's making EVE a dependency when it shouldn't be (since the required version comes packed with), which makes it further an issue.

It's not CKAN - its the sloppy netkan file someone created to 'make life easier' for us.

I am thinking about system performance. Up through 1.0.5, I was using EVE 7-4 in a 64-bit Linux setup, with Astronomer's Visual Pack. With 1.1, Windows 64-bit, I've been using the new versions of EVE with different packs. In "vanilla" EVE with rbray's textures and configs, my GPU fan spins up audibly enough, but it seems stable enough for long gameplay. Using SVE (UR) with scatterer, everything starts up fine. It's smooth as silk for 15-20 minutes. But over the course of switching scenes or going EVA and boarding, the whole thing becomes increasingly sluggish. The other day, it progressed to the point where my graphics driver crashed, full stop, which sounds like GPU overheat. My GPU is a 4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, which is no slouch, even if it no longer has that new car smell. There are very few games I can't max the visual settings on and have it stay smooth. RBray has mentioned in a few posts that forcing higher versions of DirectX is a no-go (not that I've tried it), but I'm curious if anybody has tips for tweaking configs or other tools, or for figuring out how much of the system load is due to scatterer, how much due to EVE, and how much is just revenge of the 8k textures. 

On 4/22/2016 at 2:42 PM, Nhawks17 said:

You can do a lower res version of SVE or try using the default EVE configs

On 4/22/2016 at 2:03 PM, sidfu said:

there are 4 versions on the download on main page each is differnt quality version

I don't suppose I was clear. I'm not looking for lower-res, just less CPU intensive. Will the SVE textures work with the default EVE configs?

11 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

Ok so.. I'm just gonna suggest to you, do NOT install SVE through CKAN. I'm almost 100% positive that the version on that is super super super super old (I don't use CKAN so I can't check) and it's going to break anything and everything. First and foremost, go in and delete everything that related to SVE (the SVE folder, EVE, Scatterer, Kopernicus) and go into github and grab the latest version. Extract that to your Gamedata. If you want Scatterer, grab that too just don't install Kopernicus because you don't need it anymore. If you're crashing, check that you are launching through the 64-bit binary as Steam is currently experiencing issues if you launch directly through it by only launching the 32-bit client even if you choose otherwise.

Nathaniel, first of all, this mod is wonderful. As a kind suggestion for improvement, could you, when time permits, update the "How to install" wiki if Kopernicus is no longer needed?

27 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

I don't suppose I was clear. I'm not looking for lower-res, just less CPU intensive. Will the SVE textures work with the default EVE configs?

What nhawks is saying is you don't need SVE to get clouds and atmosphere.  If you just download EVE and the EVE configs it will do the trick and be the least CPU intensive you can get with a visual enhancement mod.  Keep in mind,  KSP is a very CPU heavy game in general so no matter what,  you are going to push your CPU, even in Stock. 

2 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Nathaniel, first of all, this mod is wonderful. As a kind suggestion for improvement, could you, when time permits, update the "How to install" wiki if Kopernicus is no longer needed?

Yes I can but how did you know my name was Nathaniel :0.0:

5 minutes ago, ctbram said:

OKay???  I installed SVE from CKAN.  Which version gets installed: LR, MR, HR, or UR????  and how can I force it to be UR?

Please read below

14 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

@Space Cat Ok so.. I'm just gonna suggest to you, do NOT install SVE through CKAN. I'm almost 100% positive that the version on that is super super super super old (I don't use CKAN so I can't check) and it's going to break anything and everything. First and foremost, go in and delete everything that related to SVE (the SVE folder, EVE, Scatterer, Kopernicus) and go into github and grab the latest version. Extract that to your Gamedata. If you want Scatterer, grab that too just don't install Kopernicus because you don't need it anymore. If you're crashing, check that you are launching through the 64-bit binary as Steam is currently experiencing issues if you launch directly through it by only launching the 32-bit client even if you choose otherwise.

Oh boy... @Nhawks17, if you don't get the OP fixed up, we're going to keep getting this same question over and over again...

@ctbram: DO NOT USE CKAN for this mod. It's plastered all over this page, and the two before it. Nhawks didn't create the netkan file for it, it's set up entirely incorrectly, and will only set you up for failure. I will post here, for whit I hope (but doubt) will be the last time, the proper installation method:

1) Download SVE through the Github Link, and the Github link ONLY.

2) Ensure all instances of StockVisualEnhancements and EnhancedVisualEnhancements are removed from your Gamedata folder.

3) Install everything from the downloaded SVE version into Gamedata.

To clarify, despite what the OP says at the moment, do NOT use Kopernicus (for this, anyhow), as it is not needed by the current version. Do NOT download and install EVE seperately - SVE includes a bundled version that has the correct files and setups needed for SVE.

I'm not meaning to come off abrasive, but seriously, guys - doesn't anyone READ the thread before they install something?

1 minute ago, Shadriss said:

I'm not meaning to come off abrasive, but seriously, guys - doesn't anyone READ the thread before they install something?

No they don't.  But Didn't you know that their issues they have with the mod are special and deserve nhawks time and undivided attention?  It's all over the forum like this too.  Just kills me. Ain't nobody got time to read. :D