Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

On 9/10/2016 at 0:04 PM, waterlubber said:

If you're calling it an away team, your engineering crew might want to recolor their shirts.

Fortunately Bill is the engineer on this particular mission, and since he's Chief Engineer I believe he's exempt from that curse :) 

On 9/10/2016 at 5:33 PM, RocketSquid said:

Speaking of redshirts, happy 50th to Star Trek. I wonder if Kuzzter has anything planned...

Oh, that would have been lovely! But... well... I didn't even think of it. Sorry! I'll try to remember the next anniversary of the comic at least.

1 hour ago, GregroxMun said:

I have released an update to the Kerbulus mod. You can now switch which homeworld you want to play as more easily, even within a single save file. 

Awesome work as always! This will make things a bit easier for me, especially in future stories when [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] go to [REDACTED] on a hopeless [REDACTED] [REDACTED] to save [REDACTED].

And with that--lots of good gameplay for the last couple of days. At the risk of ruining dramatic tension just a bit, here's a recent screenshot. Comic pages, as always, will come the very instant they come :) 

Spoiler

SVMYZpQ.png

...have I ever mentioned how much I love flying carrier ops? Because I LOVE flying carrier ops! :D 

2 hours ago, max_creative said:

Not in a few seconds... GET AWAY FROM THAT SATELLITE!!! IT'S NOT A WEAPON!!! HEY DON'T TOUCH THAT!!! PUT THAT HAMMER- 

Ah, but you can (hopefully) see from the blue stripes that this is an Intelligence officer jacked into the commsat...and assuming that he's actually the intelligent kind of intelligence officer (e.g., Evil Bob)... well, we'll see. 

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

Oh no! Evil Knevil has In Space High over Jool jacked the relay!

Indeed. If only the commsat had launched a bit later, it could have been an iSat 7 and then there wouldn't be any jack at all!

19 minutes ago, Mikki said:

I sense serious sabotage ahead... eager to see how this goes on... :0.0: 

Dun dunnnn!

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

When they had comms before, the Kerbulans could listen in without and trouble. Is it still the lack of a transponder that is preventing them from doing that now?

If I recall correctly, the Kerbulans could intercept radio signals such as the transponder and use them to locate Intrepid, at least until Kenlie wrecked same. But they couldn't decode the transmission protocol the Kerbals are using, and so they couldn't understand what anyone was saying. (Which is a good thing, otherwise they might have heard them calling each other "Val" and "Bob" and "Jeb", which is a critical piece of information if you think about it...)

Of course, until we hear Evil Bob's intelligence report to the Commander we don't know what if anything new he learned by plugging into the satellite...or whether he intends to do anything besides listen in. 

Edited by Kuzzter

15 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

I suppose Kerbulans and Kerbals speak the same language.

Standard Kerblish and Kerbulayan Common are similar languages that are both found on the Risotto Asteroid, discovered by the Fillet mission flown by Jebediah Kerman before the events of D:OB. :wink:

34 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

Guys... now would be a good time to change the encryption... Like, right now!

Well, Kerbals being Kerbals, it's possible that their encryption key is like something an idiot would have on his luggage. But then again, the Kerbulans were completely befuddled by Wernher's "E=mc3" ruse. I suppose this could go either way.

33 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

I suppose Kerbulans and Kerbals speak the same language.

Yes, they do; Gene Kerman and Wernher had no trouble understanding each other in Kerblish. What's more everyone who hears Wernher's native dialect understand it to be Deutschekerb as spoken on Kerbin. So yeah, no "universal translator" needed in this particular Trek homage :) 

12 minutes ago, Andem said:

Standard Kerblish and Kerbulayan Common are similar languages that are both found on the Risotto Asteroid, discovered by the Fillet mission flown by Jebediah Kerman before the events of D:OB. :wink:

I'm not saying this is canon, but Risotto is funny enough that if I ever do need a language-decoding rock that just might be what I call it.

1 hour ago, KAL 9000 said:

Guys... now would be a good time to change the encryption... Like, right now!

I bet they're going to hack it, and then the Kerbals get a message and then they realize that they're under attack by people from a murdury reverse planet... Even though the Intrepid could handle everything the Kerbulans could shoot at it and there is probably nothing to worry about.

That was a great update!

Very nice to see communications working properly.

And a wonderful 'dun Dun DUN!' moment at the end.

It's interesting that both races have a common language, but common standardized electronic jack sizes?  I blame Wernher!

Happy Concerned Nervous landings!

19 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Ah, but you can (hopefully) see from the blue stripes that this is an Intelligence officer jacked into the commsat...and assuming that he's actually the intelligent kind of intelligence officer (e.g., Evil Bob)... well, we'll see. 

Blue striped... hmmmm, if they're even close to the original mirror-Spock... watch out!  

I think in many ways he was the scariest of them all, and I wouldn't underestimate any of the baddies wearing blue for a second!  :0.0:

On 9/7/2016 at 11:50 AM, Kuzzter said:

So, um, yeah. I cheated. :blush: I noticed something was up when Intrepid was fueling on Pol and the reactors kept shutting down--but it's really hard to "find" all the radiators on that ship what with lag and all and trying to look through bulkheads, so I just kind of let 1000x time warp "fix" the problem. But I did clearly remember doing sims of Qwammer on Tylo, and having the joy of seeing all the heat under control with the radiators in this config. So kick me, sue me, take away my Jool 5 badge for 1.1.3, but if the physics had been modeled like this when I launched I would certainly have arranged the parts for the heat to get out. 

Bad Kuzzter!  I mean, I'm watching you, Bill Kerman.  I went ahead and looked at the difference between the radiator in 1.0.5 versus 1.1.3 and it goes from "maxLinksAway = 2" to "parentCoolingOnly = true".  Since Kerbfleet bought those radiators in 1.0.5 they probably should have had the cooling pipes anyway.  It's not your fault that Probodobodyne tried to cut production costs by taking out the cooling pipes from the 1.1.3 model!

I don't want Jool 5 compliance to limit your creativity (but you probably already knew that).  Plus there will probably be some interacting with that Kerbulan ship that is clearly not part of the original Jool 5 mission!

Sorry for replying 5 days late and messing up the flow of the conversation...

(about the newer page that was recently posted) All of their problems would be solved if they just went with the iRelaySatellite 7!

23 minutes ago, something said:

And so the Kerbulans learn that Wernherr is still alive...a critical piece of information. 

Wellllll.... maybe they do and maybe they don't. We'll find out exactly what Evil Bob learned from the Commsat high (over Jool) jacking (into) in some future episode :) 

It was one of the KSE's agents. They were there to monitor and, in such a situation, terminate, one of our experiments, at a safe distance from Dres, where KSE is based. Bill and Dilsby were both test subjects. One could edit reality, while the other could see into the minds of his mirror. This specific agent was integrated into the engineering group and wanted to add a remote controlled audio and video broadcasting service for any spacecraft in the Jool system for decades to come. He had some difficulty adding the video part of it, but got the audio broadcasting system working fine, and downloaded several podcasts and songs onto the On Board Audio Database(ABAD), including podcasts such as "Things That You Forgot About In History" and "What If? Odd Fiction"; and several pieces of music, all of which were suggested by the crews of the Intrepid and KSE Tired Whale(Which is currently in orbit around Jool).