[DEV HALTED][1.3] CxAerospace: Stations Parts Pack v1.6.2 [2017-5-24]

cxg2827

1 hour ago, Jasseji said:

Just a question, Did you see the Balka solar arrays from the KOSMOS Pack ?

They do not have the "folding-in"-mechanism of the ISS solar wings, thus being unneccessarily bulky... Just my humble opinion. But all in all they are good at what they are doing!

35 minutes ago, StarStreak2109 said:

They do not have the "folding-in"-mechanism of the ISS solar wings, thus being unneccessarily bulky... Just my humble opinion. But all in all they are good at what they are doing!

yes, that's a one thing they lack but i mean mainly the double wing with built-in rotator which removes Infernal Robotics Dependecy

58 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

yes, that's a one thing they lack but i mean mainly the double wing with built-in rotator which removes Infernal Robotics Dependecy

These are being made to be individual wings, so they give a bit more options for use in non-ISS recreations. The integrated equipment assembly trusses will have attachment nodes so you can place these neatly.

By built-in rotator, you mean dual axis tracking? These will just be single axis, as they would collide with the radiators otherwise.

Check my old locked dev thread for more discussion on this topic (closer to the end of the thread).

14 minutes ago, cxg2827 said:

These are being made to be individual wings, so they give a bit more options for use in non-ISS recreations. The integrated equipment assembly trusses will have attachment nodes so you can place these neatly.

By built-in rotator, you mean dual axis tracking? These will just be single axis, as they would collide with the radiators otherwise.

Check my old locked dev thread for more discussion on this topic (closer to the end of the thread).

got it, planning a rotator on the S3/P3 Truss then ?

On 8/16/2016 at 9:01 AM, Jasseji said:

got it, planning a rotator on the S3/P3 Truss then ?

Only possible with IR, and even then it would be manually done. Will make the SARJ a docking port with 30 degree snap increments until better options become available.

Here are some SAW dev shots. I was surprised my GPU didn't catch fire when I loaded them into KSP. Close to 22,000 triangles a piece (no lag yet, so we good).

Spoiler

5Hod0K4.png

e7akRiG.png

SuOpIP0.png

7X1sHo7.png

u6XQWN9.png

2 minutes ago, cxg2827 said:

Here are some SAW dev shots. I was surprised my GPU didn't catch fire when I loaded them into KSP. Close to 22,000 triangles a piece (no lag yet, so we good).

flat,800x800,075,t.u1.jpg

No, seriously, why on earth would you do that.

11 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

No, seriously, why on earth would you do that.

Sc4oF9p.gif

168 solar cells per wing (~2k tris)

68 repeated truss segments with cross-bracing (~6.5k)

but also this is a raw STL import so it hasn't been optimized in blender to remove hidden faces as well. Though even with that done, the tri count will still be huge.

I'm curious what the tri count is on @benjee10's Habtech SAWs, but I cant seem to import them into blender with the .mu converter.

3 hours ago, cxg2827 said:

Sc4oF9p.gif

168 solar cells per wing (~2k tris)

68 repeated truss segments with cross-bracing (~6.5k)

but also this is a raw STL import so it hasn't been optimized in blender to remove hidden faces as well. Though even with that done, the tri count will still be huge.

I'm curious what the tri count is on @benjee10's Habtech SAWs, but I cant seem to import them into blender with the .mu converter.

Never had problems with Habtech SAWs, and I don't have an ultra-powerful pc. I would try to keep poly count low if possible, because otherwise the whole ISS once completed will be a total lag machine

4 hours ago, cxg2827 said:

Only possible with IR, and even then it would be manually done. Will make the SARJ a docking port with 30 degree snap increments until better options become available.

Reveal hidden contents

5Hod0K4.png

e7akRiG.png

SuOpIP0.png

7X1sHo7.png

u6XQWN9.png

Hi @cxg2827,

just a question regarding your solar wings. First of all, I think one can live w/o 2-axis-tracking. The Balka wings do work, but not always. Sometimes it gets stuck. However, on your screenshots, I noticed this mechanism, which moves the whole assembly from a "stowed" position to the "active" position, from which the panels are being deployed. Does that mechanism work, like e.g. you can transport the whole shebang up to space in a "narrower" fairing and then extend it to its full width?

Can't wait replacing the clunky trusses I use now with your sleek trusses!

Regards,

Sebastian

2 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

However, on your screenshots, I noticed this mechanism, which moves the whole assembly from a "stowed" position to the "active" position, from which the panels are being deployed. Does that mechanism work, like e.g. you can transport the whole shebang up to space in a "narrower" fairing and then extend it to its full width?

The mechanism to move the assembly will work. I just quickly imported the model in it's current state into ksp since the tri count was concerning. I was doing a quick performance check.

The individual solar cells will also not be completely flat like it's seen in the screenshots either, and will have the slightest accordion look when deployed.

20 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

If it works it doesn't matter, right? 

It increases the performance impact of the part. Considering most KSP players I know use absolute potatoes, and (iirc) CXG has a good computer, his own performance probably isn't the best metric. Obviously its up to him to decide whether that matters or not, but it's worth keeping in mind. For reference, the entire BDB LEM will be about that many polygons (its 20K now with a couple antenna missing)

On 8/18/2016 at 5:48 AM, cxg2827 said:

Can't remember off the top of my head and don't have access to my KSP computer at the moment to take a look, but I remember that the number of visible polygons really didn't seem to affect performance much as I was working on it. You seem to be able to go pretty wild with that without many ill effects so long as the colliders are optimised (which mine definitely were not in early stages, each folding section of the panel was its own collider and the game just ground to a halt the moment you extended them). 

May I make a suggestion that might help new users to this mod? (Like me) I thought it would be a huge help is someone would/could do a video showing how to align the Common Berthing Mechanism (CBM) and Androgynous Peripheral Attach System (APAS) while in space.

Thanks,

Hi @Turk_WLF, have you checked out the first post at the way bottom? There is a FAQ with pictures showing how the CBMs align (Here is the link to make it easier http://imgur.com/a/SaG6A).

Regarding the APAS, it should be pretty straight-forward, as you just mesh up the guide fins in any of the 120 degree increments. Not to mention they have their own colliders so they should automatically align when the fins begin to mesh with each other.

On 8/27/2016 at 6:15 AM, cxg2827 said:

Hi @Turk_WLF, have you checked out the first post at the way bottom? There is a FAQ with pictures showing how the CBMs align (Here is the link to make it easier http://imgur.com/a/SaG6A).

Regarding the APAS, it should be pretty straight-forward, as you just mesh up the guide fins in any of the 120 degree increments. Not to mention they have their own colliders so they should automatically align when the fins begin to mesh with each other.

@cxg2827 Hey, how are those trusses progressing ? :wink:

Btw, i have a question/part request, i believe it shouldn't be hard to make.

In my opinion, the Cx pack needs an MPLM/Leonardo Style module.

At the moment i am using the Short 3-1 Nap Hab with modified cfg but ideally would be some module which size is in between the Short Nap Hab and the 4-1 Hab module

I'm failing miserably at importing .mu files into blender or i would try to mash it together myself :P

6 hours ago, Jasseji said:

@cxg2827 Hey, how are those trusses progressing ? :wink:

I keep the roadmap pretty up to date since I use it as my task-list, so that is a good starting point to follow my progress. Trusses specific for the 1.3 release have been done for a while already, but the SAW has been quite an undertaking for modeling and animating; Partially due to my nit-picking and partially due to the complexity of some of the features.

No real worthwhile progress pic to show off since the SAW is still stripped down as I am finishing up the various animation segments. The collapsing truss animation took all last evening so I'm glad that's over with. I'm hoping to have the remainder of the animation completed tonight so I can finish up the texturing and configurations this week and push out a release early next week.

6 hours ago, Jasseji said:

In my opinion, the Cx pack needs an MPLM/Leonardo Style module.

It sure does, check my roadmap :P.

Just a note, some 2.XX parts might get pushed into the 1.X releases, but depends on my mood and if enough people are vocal about a specific part.

So I'm playing around with the Solar cell segment texturing. One idea is to have the orange backing partially transparent, while the rest of the texture such as the individual cells, hinges, circuit tracing opaque. Yay or nay?

I tried it in game, but you don't get the cool orange glowing effect when its obstructing the sun. But you can still see the outline of the station and some details passing through when the solar wing is blocking the craft it is attached to.

Otherwise I'd stick with opaque and have the solar panels mostly orange similar to Habtech.

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

well can we see some screenshots?

In hindsight, I probably should have waited to post this after work. I'll get pics up later tonight.

(I'm not a smart man)