[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

@AG5BPilot concerning Kerbalism antenna range, this was offered up pretty soon after GPP's 1.2.0 update. What do you make of it?

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[Antenna]]:NEEDS[Kerbalism,FeatureSignal]:FINAL
{
  @MODULE[Antenna]:HAS[#type[low_gain]]
  {
    @dist *= 1.0 // scale using average body radius, versus stock one
  }

@MODULE[Antenna]:HAS[#type[high_gain]]
  {
    @dist *= 6.02 // scale using maximum SMA, versus stock one
  }
}

4 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I guess getting to Grannus in my 10x game will require adding 2 zeroes to the .CFG files!

Consider adding this one snippet, suggested by Snark himself:

PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]]:FINAL {
    @MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] 
    {
        @antennaPower *= 10
    }
}

Since these both have :FINAL, they should not be mixed as-is.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I must say 1.2 is quite the improvement on 1.1. Everything just looks better, I also like the markers on Gael showing the KSC and the other tracking stations.

Also, with additional science from Niven, Thalia, and Eta, I finally have the tech to get to Icarus orbit (or bust) with a multi-tank nuclear upper stage (Liberator engine from Kerbal Atomics)...

y68qjWJ.jpg

@eddiew Almost there with that Hydrogen/Methane to LH2 system. For some reason the M-2 device is producing "MethaneGas" which is invalid and unwanted.

I've added Hydrogen and Methane support to NFP's scanner and converter, and to the stock Precooler and Engine Nacelle parts (removing their LF tanks), and to the stock ISRU. I could have simplified it but you stated that you don't like your converter to be cheaty and portable, so I left the production chain long and reasonably challenging like this:

1. Gas form input (precooler and cryo separator);
  2. Pressurized tank (behind intake parts). One is required each for Methane and Hydrogen in gas form. There's a smaller radial tank for this too;
  3. Fission of Methane into Hydrogen gas and Compression of Hydrogen into LqdHydrogen (convert-o-tron);
  4. LqdHydogen fuel (cryogenic tank in front of convert-o-tron)

The only thing for you to do once I give you this cfg is to scale the convert-o-tron's values to fit your size (5m). I will also share this in the NFT thread to see if Nertea would like this. 

Kerbal Atomics engines as well as Cryo Engines use LH2 so I think there's more win to be had. :) 

sn5C3Ry.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

2 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Can we please get a tidally-locked super-Gael with a dense, extended atmosphere and black vegetation which evolved to metabolize near-infrared light? I'm sure you know where to put it. 

I've been actually kicking around some ideas in my head for my own planet pack that includes something very much like you describe.  Whether or not it ever comes to fruition is an entirely different matter.

8 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

/snip Snarkalike wall/:D

Jade for your tank editings as a thoughoption. Maybe this would be interesting option?

If you support this One you don't Need to use predifined tanks?

12 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@AG5BPilot concerning Kerbalism antenna range, this was offered up pretty soon after GPP's 1.2.0 update. What do you make of it?

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[Antenna]]:NEEDS[Kerbalism,FeatureSignal]:FINAL
{
  @MODULE[Antenna]:HAS[#type[low_gain]]
  {
    @dist *= 1.0 // scale using average body radius, versus stock one
  }

@MODULE[Antenna]:HAS[#type[high_gain]]
  {
    @dist *= 6.02 // scale using maximum SMA, versus stock one
  }
}

That works.  The JX2 has the necessary range to work from Grannus.

You don't happen to have a patch that gives me the time to actually play?

12 minutes ago, AG5BPilot said:

You don't happen to have a patch that gives me the time to actually play?

There's always room for helping hands. :wink: 

2 hours ago, Urses said:

If you support this One you don't Need to use predifined tanks?

I believe that I don't need to do anything to support Configurable Containers as its list of supported mods is quite long. It's a great suggestion, thanks. :) However, I think that installing it may be game-breaking and a culture shock all in one. It also might collide with my development of things that use texture switching.

3 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

There's always room for helping hands. :wink: 

I believe that I don't need to do anything to support Configurable Containers as its list of supported mods is quite long. It's a great suggestion, thanks. :) However, I think that installing it may be game-breaking and a culture shock all in one. It also might collide with my development of things that use texture switching.

You nailed it absolutely on the point :D

"Culture shock" must be in the OP of this mod :D (do not use with godalike ambitions)

Funny Kabooms 

Urses

(Like for you is reserved:wink:)

58 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So...

Upgrading from the pervious GPP version, do I need to delete anything or do anything else funky first, or just copy the new folders over the old ones? (Backed up my entire game folder already)

Delete everything and install all of the new stuff. Nearly everything has changed. I would never reccomend overwriting old files. Just be sure to use the career saver cfg if you intend to continue a career

Just to post a little rocket eye candy...

35yjiza.png

First manned test rocket in my new 10.6x GPP save.  Using mainly BDB, this Saturnish-rocket is a combination of a Block II Apollo CSM, a Saturn IC from ETS, and two Titan III SRBs.  Sandbox mode, just to try things out.

kqJRG9c.png

First career orbital probe - third launch.  It was after this that I suspected that SMURFF is making things too powerful.  The rocket weighs 6.4 tons, and got a 22 kg payload into an orbit with a 200 km Pe and 3,400 km Ap.

YDT9rpL.png

Yep, definitely too powerful with SMURFF interacting with BDB.  This rocket weighed 33 tons on the pad, and launched a Hermes (Mercury) capsule to an orbit similar to the probe, hitting high Gael orbit during our first orbital sojourn.  For the moment, I think I'll turn down the lever on the engines and pods a bit.

hp32DoS.png

Yep, reentry is pretty dang quick.  I'm finding that a Pe in the 48-50 km range is required to keep the Kerbal from passing out.

First impressions are good, but it still needs a bit of fine tuning.  I'll get a full blown mission report thread going soon, and will post a link once there's something more worthwhile to see.

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

Delete everything and install all of the new stuff. Nearly everything has changed. I would never reccomend overwriting old files. Just be sure to use the career saver cfg if you intend to continue a career

OK! After some minor (and fortunately, short-lived) whole-computer-crashing shenanigans getting all my old configs to work, everything seems to be running properly for the moment. :D 

Spoiler

So, about that strange [REDACTED] thing I asked about...

Loaded my test game before I plunked down the gamesaver config. Everything that I had on/around Rald ended up on/around [REDACTED]. And everything around Gael wound up around Thalia:o

So, yes, there was much explosion in the latter and in the former the game simply told me to go flarp myself, I can't be landed on [REDACTED]!

Good times. :D

@eddiew I found a true fix for the gas giant visual annoyance. In the Scatterer planetlist cfg, change the loadDistance and unloadDistance of the gas giants to match that of another body. I used Catullus. That fixes it. I don't know why or what changed from scatterer v0.0256 to v0.0300 but it's doesn't like the older load or  unload values. But, whatever it's fixed.

Now we are just working toward a kerbalism antenna cfg that we are happy with and then we will push another update with the fixes.

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

OK! After some minor (and fortunately, short-lived) whole-computer-crashing shenanigans getting all my old configs to work, everything seems to be running properly for the moment. :D 

Hide contents

Loaded my test game before I plunked down the gamesaver config. Everything that I had on/around Rald ended up on/around [REDACTED]. And everything around Gael wound up around Thalia:o

So, yes, there was much explosion in the latter and in the former the game simply told me to go flarp myself, I can't be landed on [REDACTED]!

I had the same problem. Tried changing planet flight indexes, no joy. Only lost an old probe so let it go, but could have fixed with Hyperedit and planning :)

It´s time for another help request :wink: 

I landed my first Duna module on Iota. Deployed the legs and activated ground tether. Suddenly the "jackhammer" started. my module (or maybe Iota itself) flickered up and down (about half height of the duna module). when i released the ground tether, my duna module jumped with about 120m/s into the vacuum.

I repeated it in all possible directions. ground tether then deploy legs. without legs, only ground tether.

tested the same at Gael. Same problem.

Deleted joint reinforcement mod.

No jackhammer, but instant explosion. :( 

Thanks for your help

I'm visiting asteroids for the first time since I installed GPP, but hitting a weird problem: when I try and target an asteroid inflight it makes me go track it first in the tracking station - so far so normal - but when I try to track it its orbit appears but the asteroid itself disappears until I click on a different body, at which point the asteroid reappears but the orbit disappears. No matter what I do the asteroid remains an unknown object. I have Research Bodies installed as well, could it be an issue with that? I would try pointing a telescope at it, but I can't do that without being able to target it first. Any ideas?!

7 hours ago, eddiew said:

I had the same problem. Tried changing planet flight indexes, no joy. Only lost an old probe so let it go, but could have fixed with Hyperedit and planning :)

10 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Reveal hidden contents

2 hours ago, 4d4Garrison said:

I lost valentina in  a Ceti/Iota lander to High Thalia orbit, luckily she has enough DeltaV to travel interplanetary to get home...At least once there is a launch window.

This is why GPP_CareerSaver exists, guys. It's highlighted in red in the install instructions.

3 hours ago, Ed_ said:

I'm visiting asteroids for the first time since I installed GPP, but hitting a weird problem: when I try and target an asteroid inflight it makes me go track it first in the tracking station - so far so normal - but when I try to track it its orbit appears but the asteroid itself disappears until I click on a different body, at which point the asteroid reappears but the orbit disappears. No matter what I do the asteroid remains an unknown object. I have Research Bodies installed as well, could it be an issue with that? I would try pointing a telescope at it, but I can't do that without being able to target it first. Any ideas?!

That sounds pretty legit. Given what ResearchBodies is supposed to do, it may be safe to assume that it's also affecting asteroids. There's very little we can do for it and GPP until that mod reaches a stable state. All we can do is provide feedback and logs in ResearchBodies' thread.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

7 hours ago, eddiew said:

...but could have fixed with Hyperedit and planning :)

or the CareerSaver cfg... :wink: 

woops. Didn't see jade already pointed it out. 

Edited by Galileo

3 hours ago, Ed_ said:

Any ideas?!

I did not know if you are aware of that the tracked asteroids have theyr own filter in the Tracking Station. Maybe if you aktivate both "Unknown" and "Tracked" this will help. I Play self in GPP RB combination and don't have this Problem. But it took me a wile to get the Point that they Switch the filter. 

Funny Kabooms 

Urses

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

This is why GPP_CareerSaver exists, guys. It's highlighted in red in the install instructions.

That sounds pretty legit. Given what ResearchBodies is supposed to do, it may be safe to assume that it's also affecting asteroids. There's very little we can do for it and GPP until that mod reaches a stable state. All we can do is provide feedback and logs in ResearchBodies' thread.

25 minutes ago, Urses said:

I did not know if you are aware of that the tracked asteroids have theyr own filter in the Tracking Station. Maybe if you aktivate both "Unknown" and "Tracked" this will help. I Play self in GPP RB combination and don't have this Problem. But it took me a wile to get the Point that they Switch the filter. 

Funny Kabooms 

Urses

Ohhhh wow, I just spotted that filter in the TS and thought I should come back here and own up for being so dumb. Thanks guys, I'll be over here in the stupid corner wearing the dunce hat if anyone needs me. :confused: