[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

18 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

Bob,

I guess I didn't explain myself very well, since the rotational velocity was one of my big concerns. Right now the included 10x config specifies a day length only 1.75x as long as standard, which is going to make landing on most airless worlds easier. On the other hand, landing on Lili will be even more difficult. I think I'll tweak the settings a bit and see how things actually affect both realism and gameplay.

I used 1.75 for the other planets because their original rotation periods in stock size were already fairly lifelike.  I though multiplying them by 3x, or whatever, would make their periods too long.  The gas giants I didn't factor at all.  The moons that are tidally locked take care of themselves (rotation period = orbital period).

What ever you decide to do, dayLengthMultiplier for Icarus and Gratian should be equal to the square root of the resize and rescale factor.  This is because those planets are in resonances that get out of whack if you use a different factor.  Icarus is in a 3/2 spin-orbit resonance, and Gratian is tidally locked to its moon Geminus.

(edit)

It looks like your intent, and @RocketPCGaming's intent, is to effectively turn a resized Gael into an exact duplicate of Earth.  That was never my intent when creating a 10X Ciro system.  Gael is not Earth, so I made no effort at all to match their properties.  Although similar to Earth, I wanted Gael to have a little different flavor to it.

Edited by OhioBob

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

GPP bundles 0.0300 (latest version)

remove the scatterer file from previous installs and add the version in our download.

I did a fully clean install and just pasted the file from the GPP download.

It still shows the earlier version in the main screen not version 0.300.

10 minutes ago, Tuko said:

I did a fully clean install and just pasted the file from the GPP download.

It still shows the earlier version in the main screen not version 0.300.

Oh yes. Black rack forgot to update the version number in game. It is indeed 0.0300. 

Edited by Galileo

58 minutes ago, Galileo said:

If have already invested a lot of time in the previous version of ksp, and want to continue it without breaking it, You must use the career saver patch. If you are planning on starting a new career, disregard the career saver.

The FlightGlobalsIndex changed this update and that causes a lot of problems for preexisting careers.

Can I be a nudge here and ask for specifics? Like, what are we talking, here, lost contracts? Lost vessels? My PC suddenly transmogrifying into a Mac?

2 hours ago, OhioBob said:

That's an excellent point, I didn't think about the rotational velocity.  If you're trying to make Gael earthlike in all respects, then yes, the rotational period should be adjusted.  I think the best and easiest thing to do is to give Gael a 24-hour day.  To do that you just make Gael's (listed as Kerbin in the cfg) dayLengthMultiplier = 4.  This would make Gael's sea level equatorial velocity 464.97 m/s, compared to 465.10 m/s for Earth.**  You should also change Icarus' and Gratian's dayLengthMultiplier = 3.25970857593129 (i.e. SQRT(10.6257)) in order to preserve their resonances.

** You could try to make these numbers identical, but it seems like folly to me.  Gael is spherical while Earth is an oblate spheroid.  Therefore, no matter what you do, you won't be able to get the velocities to exactly match except for at one latitude.  I think the familiarity of a 24-hour day is worth more than an error of a tenth or two in m/s.

By the way, Earth's equatorial radius is 6378.14 km, and it's volumetric radius is 6371 km.  6375 km is calculated from using its gravitational parameter, 3.986005E+14 m3/s2, and a surface gravity of one standard gravity, go = 9.80665 m/s2.  That is,

Radius = SQRT(3.986005E+14 / 9.80665) = 6,375,417 m

Divide that by Gael's stock-sized radius and we get,

Resize factor = 6375417 / 600000 = 10.6257 

Norcalplanner, I guess it does make sense to use a 24 hours day, at least if your intention is to exactly mimic earth.  I really didn't think about the rotational velocity of the launch site.

It actually makes a lot more sense for stock-sized Kerbin/Gael to have a rotational period of 8 hours.  That's a much better match to Earth's 24-hour period when resizing/rescaling.

Thank you, Sir! I wasn't trying to make Gael an exact Earth clone, just wanted to nudge it a bit closer. Mostly as having a 24 hour a day time scale and a ~18 hour rotation is kind of annoying.

12 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Can I be a nudge here and ask for specifics? Like, what are we talking, here, lost contracts? Lost vessels? My PC suddenly transmogrifying into a Mac?

The Flightglobal indexes have changed. Meaning, things in orbit will either be lost or orbiting the wrong body. If are worried about loosing anything or are concerned, use the career saver. It only changes the global flight index back to the original values. You still get all of the other updates and fixes. That's all.

@RocketPCGaming I will hopefully have a fix regarding the ugly textures for a full size system. No 8k textures yet but I can at least make the 4K look good for ya

Edited by Galileo

5 minutes ago, RocketPCGaming said:

Mostly as having a 24 hour a day time scale and a ~18 hour rotation is kind of annoying.

Using GPP's 10X.cfg should give you a clock/calendar with 18-hour days.  Kopernicus recently added a feature that allows the calendar to use days and years based off the rotational and orbital periods of the homeworld.  We've enabled that feature in GPP.

35 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Any time you hear or read "Flight Globals Index" it's about planets and moons having an order number changed. To you they're in the same place but to the game they're in a different sequence and you'll see this sequence when you Tab through them in Map view. If left unchecked everything you have in the SOI of one body will end up at an equivalent place and situation in another SOI. Typically there's the danger of something orbiting Gael to suddenly orbit Icarus or Thalia (of all places).

I am relatively new to ksp and was wondering if someone could help me in how i would install the galileo mod, i have got it downloaded along with kopernicus and modularflightintegrator but whenever i load a new save the screen just says loading and never stops.

sorry if someone has already posted a question like this.

Edited by knighty42

27 minutes ago, knighty42 said:

I am relatively new to ksp and was wondering if someone could help me in how i would install the galileo mod, i have got it downloaded along with kopernicus and modularflightintegrator but whenever i load a new save the screen just says loading and never stops.

sorry if someone has already posted a question like this.

@Galileo @OhioBob and @JadeOfMaar

1. You go now like SQUAD "the next big One IS the BIG ONE, but we don't tell.. ":wink:

2. I came to install the update... And i have to COMPLAINT !!! Why you get me so envious...

The loading Screens alone are a realy Eyecatcher and as i gone Inside it is like a absolutely new world again...

Thanks Chummers you are awesome!

Ps: i hope i get some sleep tonight.. ..

13 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I know he is pretty quiet on this thread, but @Poodmund is a huge contributor as well. Let's not forget him!

Sorry >. < @Poodmund was realy no mentioned to forget you sorry! For you too a big Thank you!

And like i said before you are All awesome. 

Hey peeps,

Any thoughts on this Othovian oddity? Planet does not look happy... effect persists over time and different angles.

YGRhd3V.jpg

(To my annoyance, the most efficient shape for a cargo plane has turned out to be one that looks like a cargo plane :(  But those wings turn out to be OP. Way more lift and way less drag than stacked Big-S deltas.)

Also, was I dreaming it when I concluded Augustus had oceans? Can't find any sign of them, but my memory is telling me they should be there :blush:

Edited by eddiew

I went and made a place just for mod/patch development between GPP releases. It's been coming since the start of the filler Kerbalism support patch, Galileo's homebrew skybox, and the GPP + Rald project...which I should link in there for others interested in it/them.

@CatastrophicFailure I'd like for you to confirm some Kerbalism code in this new thread.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

14 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Hey peeps,

Any thoughts on this Othovian oddity? Planet does not look happy... effect persists over time and different angles.

YGRhd3V.jpg

(To my annoyance, the most efficient shape for a cargo plane has turned out to be one that looks like a cargo plane :(  But those wings turn out to be OP. Way more lift and way less drag than stacked Big-S deltas.)

Also, was I dreaming it when I concluded Augustus had oceans? Can't find any sign of them, but my memory is telling me they should be there :blush:

I haven't seen that issue on Otho. I don't know what is going on in that screenshot. 

Once upon a time Augustus had lakes, but that was waaaay back in the early development stages before this thread was even a thing

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

I haven't seen that issue on Otho. I don't know what is going on in that screenshot. 

Once upon a time Augustus had lakes, but that was waaaay back in the early development stages before this thread was even a thing

Dang. In that case I'll just have to live with it :(  But it didn't used to be like this, I have older screenshots that are clean!

Also, strange. Is anything else in GPP beige with oceans? Did you ever post teaser images of that old Augustus? Totally got a picture in my head of that orange sky with a shiny lake under it... think it was a probe going for a splashdown...

14 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Dang. In that case I'll just have to live with it :(  But it didn't used to be like this, I have older screenshots that are clean!

Also, strange. Is anything else in GPP beige with oceans? Did you ever post teaser images of that old Augustus? Totally got a picture in my head of that orange sky with a shiny lake under it... think it was a probe going for a splashdown...

Hadrian is probably the closest to beige with an ocean. 

Do you mean these screenshots? 

@eddiew I most likely posted such teaser images. This in particular was used for the Resources banner in my guide post on the first page of this thread. Why this? Because it shows an aircraft using karbonite turbojets to get around. No LH2 or Oxygen here. The lakes were Methane too and given to Tarsiss.

vqaavUJ.jpg

7 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Yes! Glad I'm neither mad nor psychic. I guess those went away? :(

Since we decided to make Niven Venus-like, or found that logically something would drastically interfere with Niven's ability to hold onto Water, we did away with them. I miss them as much as anyone.