[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

40 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Its not the little loading animation is it?

Indeed, the little rotating "solar system" in the lower right corner of the loading screen is a magenta square.  I vaguely recall reading about that symptom a while ago, but I haven't had a chance to investigate it yet.  

The Mechjeb and [x] science mods are completely inoperative.  There may well be other mods that aren't working but I've hardly had a chance to play with it.  Undoubtedly the logs may shed some light on this, but I haven't gotten there yet.  I only mentioned the problem as a caveat in the unlikely event it might be causing some of the things I observed about Grannus. 

ModuleMananger.2.7.5.dll is in the Gamedata directory, and it's the only copy of ModuleManager.dll anywhere in Gamedata.  With multiple mods not working, MM seemed like a likely culprit but it seems to be correct,

1 minute ago, Phil Kerman said:

Thanks Galileo. The update runs perfect with my existig savegame. 

I´m so happy about the update!!!

p.s. are those black "plastic-like-stripes" around aequatorial tellumo orbit intended to be there?

Yes they are ring shadows. You can disable them in the main menu in the scatterer window.

1 minute ago, AG5BPilot said:

Indeed, the little rotating "solar system" in the lower right corner of the loading screen is a magenta square.  I vaguely recall reading about that symptom a while ago, but I haven't had a chance to investigate it yet.  

Delete the file "sun_01.dds" from Kerbal Space Program\GameData\TextureReplacer\Default and that'll fix it. :D 

6 minutes ago, AG5BPilot said:

The Mechjeb and [x] science mods are completely inoperative.  There may well be other mods that aren't working but I've hardly had a chance to play with it.  Undoubtedly the logs may shed some light on this, but I haven't gotten there yet.  I only mentioned the problem as a caveat in the unlikely event it might be causing some of the things I observed about Grannus. 

ModuleMananger.2.7.5.dll is in the Gamedata directory, and it's the only copy of ModuleManager.dll anywhere in Gamedata.  With multiple mods not working, MM seemed like a likely culprit but it seems to be correct,

Mechjeb and xscience work fine for me. I wonder what is going on

Edited by Galileo

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

I wonder how that ended up back in there.

I have an idea:  Someone created a mod (StockPlanetTexReplace.zip) that replaces all of the stock planet textures with empty textures in order to reduce the memory footprint.  This file is in that "mod", but is not in the GPP install.

2 minutes ago, AG5BPilot said:

I have an idea:  Someone created a mod (StockPlanetTexReplace.zip) that replaces all of the stock planet textures with empty textures in order to reduce the memory footprint.  This file is in that "mod", but is not in the GPP install.

No we removed that one so that the loading image was still there

3 minutes ago, AG5BPilot said:

Oh Galileo did that for sure but accidentally changed the "sun_01.dds" too. I pointed this out when we were doing dev. for GPP 1.2.0 and we fixed it but somehow it worked its way back in for release.

EDIT: Hey! @Galileo you're not allowed to be on here today! Scram! Get'... Get'!

Edited by Poodmund

5 hours ago, AG5BPilot said:

Putting my remarks in a spoiler for those who want to find out for themselves.

Hide contents

Sounds like you have let TWP use its default 100km destination orbit,  Insertion dv may be just a bit smaller if you use, say, a 450000000km orbit. :)   The SOI is 500Gm, and covers a good chunk of the space between Grannus's periapsis and Leto's orbit.  In fact, with such a huge SOI, you could aim for an encounter at the closest part of the SOI which perhaps would probably cut hundreds of years off the travel time.    It should probably take only a thousand or so dv from there to get into orbit.  It will be a really, really high orbit, with a very long period, but it should be doable.  Getting from a high orbit like that to a lower orbit will, of course, take a massive amount of dv.

I haven't tried it yet, even with Hyperedit, but I think communications will be a problem.  It looks like even the antennas with 1Tm range are going to fall short by quite a bit.

And I wonder if solar panels will work???   Do they only consider distance from the central star, or will they work off light coming from a different source?  For that matter, I wonder if all the thermal calculations work correctly too, especially with non-stock thermal systems such as those in Kerbalism and Deep Freeze?

This will be interesting.

Regarding your last item:

Spoiler

Solar panels are powered by Grannus when in its vicinity, but there's a bug.  Solar panels produce (approximately) the same energy output from Grannus as they do from Ciro.  That is, a solar panel 1 Gm from Grannus will have about the same power output as a panel 1 Gm from Ciro.  That shouldn't be the case since Grannus is much less luminous than Ciro.  I originally I thought it was a Koperniucs bug, but the Kopernicus guys worked on the problem and concluded that it's a solar panel bug in KSP.  If you check the Thermal GUI in the debug menu, it shows the correct solar flux, but that doesn't seem to have any affect on whatever formula the solar panels are using.  We've calibrated things so that solar panel output near Ciro is the same as it is in the stock game.  However, when near Grannus your solar panels will produce about 30 times more power than they should.  There's nothing we can do to fix it.

I don't know about the heat part because I haven't done any testing.  I'm sure Grannus produces heat, but I don't know if it's computed correctly or if it's bugged like the solar panels.

Edited by OhioBob

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Mechjeb and xscience work fine for me. I wonder what is going on

I'll reinstall later (without that problematic memory saving mod) and see what happens.  Don't worry about it until I get a chance to play with it some more.  Update:  Removing that file does indeed fix the loading animation, so I'm not going to go any further until I flush that mod out completely, or reinstall.  And I've got a really good suspicion that the Mechjob problem is entirely PEBKAC, so don't worry about it.

Just finished editing a video landing some Kerbals on Iota and figured it would be the perfect time to update before sending them to Ceti. Archived my whole KSP directory and updated a copy... Keep it secret, keep it safe. Everything went without a hitch, color me impressed! 26,908 patches... I remember when I thought 8,000 was a lot.

Good to see familiar screen shots at the loading screen! Recognized @eddiew's flag for sure and well... anything with purple lights is @JadeOfMaar. Glad to see Nyan cat made an appearance and that it isn't taunting me to tell me I have no support because I'm using hacked x64 this time.

Keep up the good work guys! Someday my program will get to the planets getting all these fancy updates   :wink:

Edited by Tynrael

13 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Try this in the meantime. It's meant for use with big solar systems like GPP. It has 10x the range of the strongest stock part at stock scale.

Only quote I grabbed here but RE: Antennas...

If any of you use DMagic Orbital Science he has 3 parts with very powerful antennas on them (I haven't done any Grannus testing with these yet):

Soil Moisture Analyzer (Universal Storage module): 50G no combine, up-gradable to 100G Combinable

Soil Moisture Analyzer (stack mount): 100G no combine, up-gradable to 200G Combinable

Undersize Signals Intelligence Satellite - stack mounted, 1T no combine, up-gradable to 2T Combinable

Oversize Signals Intelligence Satellite - Nose mounted (has fairing), 10T no combine, up-gradable to 20T Combinable

I've not done any testing with these antennas and Grannus yet (no spoilers! :D) but I've used them in the past for linking multiple solar systems in Kerbal Galaxy so...20T Combinable is a massive amount of range, just sayin'... :P 

Great work. thanks to @Galileo, @JadeOfMaar, @OhioBob and @Poodmund

Everything works wonderfully, even the CarrerSaver.cfg. Every time I see the loadingscreen I have a small tear in the eyes, these are great pictures.
The little flaw eddiew noticed with Otho I noticed also with Gauss, but since you are already working on it.
A small unimportant question: Is there a way to dimm the sky boy without installing Distant Object? I have not found any corresponding cfg. But that is not so important.

Greetings

Edited by astroheiko

One question by the way...

I use "Research Bodys" and i get the Message "You See a shiny glimpse, maybe a gasgiant. You need a bigger Telescope" (Not original Zitat!) 

Some suggestions? Or can i get better look of the "glimpse" with the original Telescope in realy high Ciro orbit?

Funny Kabooms 

Urses

Edited by Urses

3 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Delete the file "sun_01.dds" from Kerbal Space Program\GameData\TextureReplacer\Default and that'll fix it. :D 

I just checked my directory and that file is not in my directory, I did a completely clean install after the GPP update posted so I don't think it was inside the GPP download.

1 hour ago, Urses said:

One question by the way...

I use "Research Bodys" and i get the Message "You See a shiny glimpse, maybe a gasgiant. You need a bigger Telescope" (Not original Zitat!) 

Some suggestions? Or can i get better look of the "glimpse" with the original Telescope in realy high Ciro orbit?

Funny Kabooms 

Urses

Hi Urses,

It is too far away with your current technology. You can upgrade your Tracking Station (if you haven't already), unlock the telescope upgrade in the tech tree, or as you mentioned get the telescope into an orbit that would be closer to the body you want to discover.

7 minutes ago, Tynrael said:

Hi Urses,

It is too far away with your current technology. You can upgrade your Tracking Station (if you haven't already), unlock the telescope upgrade in the tech tree, or as you mentioned get the telescope into an orbit that would be closer to the body you want to discover.

The "glimse" is the "Eastergg gasgiant" i fear the problem is my way to Play "realistik"and to scale down the Kerbnet at 50% Antenna and 25% groundstations. They are Way to Mighty for stock but in GPP:D waaaaay to weak. I think i have to go for 100% and stack them, the ComNetwork around Gael becomes absolete but they are multipurpose. Maybe reuse....

All of the problems I was having earlier with mods were either due to pilot error, or the single problem with that extra file from the mod StockPlanetTexReplace.zip.

I did observe that solar panels in the vicinity of Grannus received the exact same amount of power as they would around Ciro, exactly as you described.

As for Antennas, the JX2  (1 TM range) Antenna is a little underpowered, but it can be combined.  (They actually look fairly good when you stack 3 of them, rotated by 60 degrees each.  They form one really large antenna if viewed head-on.)   If you're using DMagic orbital science, the oversized signals intelligence antenna can function as a relay antenna with 10 TM range, which is more than enough to act as a relay!  However, Kerbalism's antenna handling reduces the antenna range of the JX2 antenna, the DMagic experiments lose their antenna abilities, and antennas can't be combined anymore, resulting in no options that let you communicate all the way out to Grannus.  Turning off Kerbalism's Signal module (in the config file) reverts to stock antenna behavior, which works.