What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

4 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Whelp, that's one way to get rid of the surplus. 

So, when I got out of the Navy, my first job was at a company that made centrifugal pumps (pretty sure I've told the story on here before). The company was in Huntington Park, California, which is in a fairly sketch part of Los Angeles. (It had actually been there for over sixty years at that point. It had originally started out selling irrigation pumps to farmers. They had pictures of the building my office was in surrounded by nothing but orange groves as far as you could see back in the 1930s.)

So, a couple of years before I signed on with them, Los Angeles went through the Rodney King riots. Which sort of had everyone in Huntington Park a little on edge. My boss told me that at one point they went outside and they saw these huge columns of smoke rising just a few blocks away from them there at the company. And everyone was starting to panic, because they were sure that the riots were moving into Huntington Park. A couple of the local guys who worked out in the shop ventured out to see what was going on, and they came back and told everyone not to worry, everything was fine. It was the local junkyards. They were taking advantage of the fact that there were huge fires everywhere, and the fact that most of the LAPD was otherwise engaged. So they took the piles of cars that they had lying around, which they normally would have had to rip the interiors out of by hand before they crushed for scrap, and they just started setting them on fire to burn all of the plastic out of them. Just giant piles of burning cars. SMH.

There's your free-association story for the night.

Im not sure if this fits here. I have just had the most unnerving experience. I need to make clear: i have lived in the same house my ENTIRE LIFE. I am well acquainted with the roads, streets, businesses, schools and what not around me. Day time, night time, doesnt matter. I just ran an errand (its almost 0200 as i type this) to buy some snacks and sodas at a gas station i frequent. I was returning home and decided to check a pokemon go gym in the area. So i go, i take said gym. Then the unnerving sequence of events began. I drove down the road it (the gym) was on and something just felt off. Couldnt figure it out. Proceeded down the road to an intersection (900-1300 feet from the gym) to turn right. Things just kept feeling weirder and weirder. This is a set of roads/streets ive traveled for years yet they felt off. I passed the school (a middle school) i went to and even it felt wrong. Reached the next intersection to turn right and still things felt off. I saw a house where i swear there was none even 14 HOURS AGO!!!! It felt like i had shifted into a parallel universe or something. Im so unnerved and shaken im writing this in my car, on my driveway after just experiencing this less than 20 minutes ago! Just wanted to share and see that im not the only one to experience this. Please tell me at least one other persons had this happen :blush:

6 hours ago, TheSaint said:

So, a couple of years before I signed on with them, Los Angeles went through the Rodney King riots. Which sort of had everyone in Huntington Park a little on edge. My boss told me that at one point they went outside and they saw these huge columns of smoke rising just a few blocks away from them there at the company. And everyone was starting to panic, because they were sure that the riots were moving into Huntington Park. A couple of the local guys who worked out in the shop ventured out to see what was going on, and they came back and told everyone not to worry, everything was fine. It was the local junkyards. They were taking advantage of the fact that there were huge fires everywhere, and the fact that most of the LAPD was otherwise engaged. So they took the piles of cars that they had lying around, which they normally would have had to rip the interiors out of by hand before they crushed for scrap, and they just started setting them on fire to burn all of the plastic out of them. Just giant piles of burning cars. SMH.

They also say ammo dump fires always happen just before an outside inspection...

7 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Im not sure if this fits here. I have just had the most unnerving experience. I need to make clear: i have lived in the same house my ENTIRE LIFE. I am well acquainted with the roads, streets, businesses, schools and what not around me. Day time, night time, doesnt matter. I just ran an errand (its almost 0200 as i type this) to buy some snacks and sodas at a gas station i frequent. I was returning home and decided to check a pokemon go gym in the area. So i go, i take said gym. Then the unnerving sequence of events began. I drove down the road it (the gym) was on and something just felt off. Couldnt figure it out. Proceeded down the road to an intersection (900-1300 feet from the gym) to turn right. Things just kept feeling weirder and weirder. This is a set of roads/streets ive traveled for years yet they felt off. I passed the school (a middle school) i went to and even it felt wrong. Reached the next intersection to turn right and still things felt off. I saw a house where i swear there was none even 14 HOURS AGO!!!! It felt like i had shifted into a parallel universe or something. Im so unnerved and shaken im writing this in my car, on my driveway after just experiencing this less than 20 minutes ago! Just wanted to share and see that im not the only one to experience this. Please tell me at least one other persons had this happen :blush:

Creepy. My question would be "Was there a house there 100 years ago?

Nothing spooky has happened to me, but a friend shared a story about when he and a girlfriend got spooked after sunset in Stanley Park, a place where many bodies have been found, and surely many many more remain unfound. 

Edited by StrandedonEarth

@StrandedonEarth no, there was no house in that spot in 1923 far as i know. It looked like a modern home from the last 30 years. A 2 story home with modern lighting inside and miniblinds in the windows. I know that area well as its next to where i used to shop for groceries (built when i was in 8th grade, graduated high-school, the store was converted to a church around 5-10 years ago) and its next to 2 newish stores a circle k gas station and an autozone both built after 2015. Going to go past there later when i venture out for food. Gotta know if im crazy or what.

It used to be that my wife and kids drove back to California much more than I did. They drove back two or three times a year, where I only drove back once for Christmas. That's changed this year since I stopped working, but it was that way for all the rest of the time we've lived here.

So one year we're driving back, the same route we've driven for a decade. We drive around a corner and there are these huge grain silos, brand new, sitting on the side of the road. And I'm all, "Those are new." My wife says, "No, they were there last year." And I said, "No, they weren't. They may have been there the last time you drove through, but they were not there the last time I drove through, which was last December." And everyone else in the car insisted that they were there the previous year. This started a huge dispute, me versus everyone else, which has lingered to this day. We'll be driving through to CA, my daughter will point to some abandoned gas station from the 50s and say, "Hey, I don't think that was here last year!" So much for her inheritance.

Ok, so update on my unnerving incident from this morning. I took the same path but reversed and noticed some things. 

1. the house is new, whole micro neighborhood looks less than 3 years old or younger. Somehow i missed it being built.

2. The church looks like it was renovated and some out buildings were added. Again i missed it.

3. as to the middle school, i have no real explanation, maybe its just me.

4. The road that set it off in daylight i understand, it looks like half got torn out and repaved. Sometimes the DOT is scary fast at doing things like that so its possible it happened over a day or two i hadnt used that road.

still was wholly freaky to experience.

Edited by AlamoVampire

As a very unenthusiastic driver who usually rides shotgun whenever possible, I can tell you it does take drivers 3-5 years to notice new roadside buildings. They don't get to gawk around too much.

sure it wasnt one of those quick deploy prefab tiny houses. truck pretty much dumps a shell which is mostly complete on the outside. you can get it up on some pre-installed concrete footings in no time. set it up, trim it, install plumbing, and then pour the floor, exterior paint. from there on its all interior work. so yea you could make a house appear in a day or two. 

22 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

It felt like i had shifted into a parallel universe or something.

Have you considered the possibility you actually have shifted into a parallel universe and there is now someone in your universe wandering around wondering what the @$%&!! happened to their house?

Maybe a thinny? Portal Stone? Stargate? Event Horizon fallout? Crossed streams? 

Oh, I know, it’s a glitch in the Matrix and you’ve just jumped servers. :D

While I was working on stuff for next week's classes that start, I took a break and read some of the things in my email. Saw an interesting article headline:

Mars helicopter Ingenuity spies Perseverance rover during 54th Red Planet flight (photo, video)

I was amazed to watch this video of the helicopter on Mars flying over the Perseverance rover. Anyway, the direct links to the video segments are:

https://cdn.jwplayer.com/previews/SyJqZ2PH

https://cdn.jwplayer.com/previews/JEInmQeJ

The link is to an article on Space.com. Unfortunately, the forum software does not like it. But here's the link to the article.

https://www.space.com/mars-helicopter-ingenuity-perseverance-photo-54th-flight

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

While I was working on stuff for next week's classes that start, I took a break and read some of the things in my email. Saw an interesting article headline:

Mars helicopter Ingenuity spies Perseverance rover during 54th Red Planet flight (photo, video)

I was amazed to watch this video of the helicopter on Mars flying over the Perseverance rover. Anyway, the direct links to the video segments are:

https://cdn.jwplayer.com/previews/SyJqZ2PH

https://cdn.jwplayer.com/previews/JEInmQeJ

The link is to an article on Space.com. Unfortunately, the forum software does not like it. But here's the link to the article.

https://www.space.com/mars-helicopter-ingenuity-perseverance-photo-54th-flight

Finally, we can see an object on Mars in a picture and say "It's not a rock!"

Came home through a deluge of rain that managed to mostly miss the house (over an inch fell a few miles south). A few lighting/thunder cracks with virtually no delay, my daughter said she saw one she though hit up the street. Few minutes later? Smoke. Went up to the open space with a shovel in time to meet the firefighters arriving. Shovel not the right tool, shoulda brought my chainsaw. Anyway, it hit a "tree" (bush to anyone not from NM, lol) and they cut it down and put water on/in it.

Stuck waiting for a freight train to pass as i type. This train is soo massive it has distributed power. 2 locomotives in the MIDDLE of the train!!!

train ended right as i hit post lol

Edited by AlamoVampire

Saw a carbon fiber Ford GT500CS today. That was pretty cool. And an Allard—maybe a K3 (was too high in the truck to get a decent look). In the other truck was a Stutz Bearcat (think a 1916), and some mystery pre-WW1 era racer that had a chain drive (also on the upper level of the truck).

All that while they played musical cars to get by buddy's 2 cars out of the trucks (a Bentley Speed 6, and his new Duesenberg).

I just saved a turtles life. I was out driving taking back a few pokemon go gyms when i chanced across a turtle just chillin in the middle of the road. I first drove by it and asked myself if i just saw what i thought i saw. I hit the brakes, tossed it into reverse and pulled next to it. Said yup. Hit my hazards and picked ip the turtle and moved it off the road. It hissed at me as it pulled its head in as i lifted it. Ungrateful bugger. But i did it because it was the right thing to do. So yeah, i saved its life.