Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Maybe at last they will repair the resumed download.
Any big file downloading is a whole saga.

Git wasn't exactly meant to use LFS (Large File Storage) - not sure if this is fixable at all. At least, under HTTPS.

OpenSSH's sshd also used to have a nasty memory leak (somewhat old information, perhaps they fixed that), that starts to be critical when transmitting huge files under the SSH tunnel. If this is still an issue, it's inevitable that large file repositories will fail large downloads now and then, as the SSHD must be restarted regularly to recover server's memory.

21 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Git wasn't exactly meant to use LFS (Large File Storage) - not sure if this is fixable at all. At least, under HTTPS.

I every day download something from file storages with HTTPS, but only for git that's a problem to download a 50..100 MB mod archive without several restarts.
Galileo planet pack and other large archives ~> 500 MB I can download only occasionally.

Maybe of course this is a local network problem, but other storages allow the download resuming, so I even don't know if they have broken it or not.

13 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

I every day download something from file storages with HTTPS, but only for git that's a problem [snip]

Maybe of course this is a local network problem, but other storages allow the download resuming, so I even don't know if they have broken it or not.

They haven't. It's a problem on the stack.

We build services stacking up protocols. One protocol thrusts the following to handle the problems it doesn't know about. And the follower thrusts that the previous one had handled its own problems. 

With 4 or 5 protocols being stacked, things start to become nasty as it's harder and harder to diagnose problems, mainly because it's current practice to avoid propagating exceptions upstream so the last guy can't know why the thing blew up on his face. He just know that something had gone wrong.

That said, I have a mediocre Internet access (not bad, but not good neithet). And I didn't notice any problems while downloading big files from Github. This could be a CDN problem - the one servicing your area can be overloaded.

Well, Braum's is on "The list"

Wife wanted her burger with nothing but Onions, so I ordered it by saying "Double quarter pounder with nothing but onions."

They put more than onions on it.

My chicken sandwich had enough mayo on it to birth a calf. 

I realize they're all about speed at places like this during lunch/dinner, but come on.  I seriously doubt waiting another 20 seconds for my food while the people did their jobs correctly would have been detrimental to the company.  I didn't even have time to fill the drinks before they called my number.  I can wait, and so can everyone else.

Then again we're talking about a country where people have called the police on McDonald's for being out of chicken nuggets.

My freezer died.

Last night, I thought I smelled something in the garage.  This morning, it was worse.  I figured it was something in the trash that needed to go out tonight.  Went to take the trash out, and the garage smelled like something had died in there.  Finally realized the freezer was not running.  And was surrounded by flies.  The warm draft of odor that wafted out when I opened it was quite overpowering.  Managed to get a friend over and we dragged it out of the garage.  I removed the 20+ pound turkey, two chickens, some bacon, some steaks (sigh), and various other bits from it.  It must have been off for several days, but I never noticed.  Now my garage smells like decay, bleach, and Pine-Sol.  I've washed my hands several times, but I can still smell it.

Ugh.

10 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Those things need audible temp alarms.

It had one.  The problem is that the whole thing died.  No power to the alarm, so it never went off.

1 minute ago, Fraston said:

I can imagine the hell you are coming back to...

It's annoying. Right now I should be doing homework but I'm goofing off and browsing the forums instead.

My whole family knows by now that when I say 'the forums' I mean 'the KSP forums'

On 6/4/2018 at 7:59 AM, Fraston said:

Homework, schomework, my psp project for school was about teachers assigning too much homework.

Ha, what I hate is when teachers set a really long task that is due first thing in the morning next day.

I'm fine with physics and chemistry, and sometimes maths when it's an easy homework, but stuff like art or music is a no-go.

Math is the bane of my existence. Science is fun, ELA is nice, Theatre is alright, PE is meh, social studies is great, study skills is meh, but MATH... Math makes gaseous oil (my blood) come out of my sound receptors.

8 hours ago, Fraston said:

Math is the bane of my existence. Science is fun, ELA is nice, Theatre is alright, PE is meh, social studies is great, study skills is meh, but MATH... Math makes gaseous oil (my blood) come out of my sound receptors.

Well, if you think science is fun (and it is) bear in mind that the farther you go in science, the more math-based it becomes, especially if you head in an applied-science direction like engineering. 

Once you figure out what you’re supposed to do, math becomes easy. Until you reach calculus, which is where I crashed and burned. Possibly because my fuel became too contaminated with beer to power my brain properly. Watch out for that. 

56 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Well, if you think science is fun (and it is) bear in mind that the farther you go in science, the more math-based it becomes, especially if you head in an applied-science direction like engineering. 

Once you figure out what you’re supposed to do, math becomes easy. Until you reach calculus, which is where I crashed and burned. Possibly because my fuel became too contaminated with beer to power my brain properly. Watch out for that. 

Calculus was pretty intuitive for me. Some people just aren't wired for math, though. 

Just now, Bill Phil said:

Calculus was pretty intuitive for me. Some people just aren't wired for math, though. 

Well, math was pretty easy for me, and early calculus made sense, but my attention and effort was elsewhere when the calculus got serious. (Social) Life happened (and before that I had no life).

But yeah, I agree some people just don't grok math

11 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Well, math was pretty easy for me, and early calculus made sense...

I was much the same.  It didn't help that I transferred schools, and what was covered at one in Calc I was not the same as the other, so I bungled Calc II before retaking I.

Someone put an empty glass that still had lipstick on it inside the closet for clean dishes :huh:.

This is why i will always want to serve my visitors instead of make my visitors serve themselves. These mistakes are bound to happend.

Buttons on computers, in cars, anywhere really.

Why are they all so unstaisfying?

Why they all have a 1mm travel and make a make that muted "dunk" noise?

Why not proper buttons with a good 5mm of travel and a nice solid "Ka-Klick!"?

What kind of...of sociopath...prefers the former?

Is it just me?