SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

So. Pretty clearly not all the engines lit.

The stage separation didn't happen. It will be interesting to find out why. Is it because of the stage 1 engine issue? Maybe they didn't reach the actual staging point?

Or maybe the staging just failed.

As the rocket was flipping and spinning, it reminded me a lot of what happens in my own KSP launches if I have a deficiency in thrust and/or control authority.

Also curious whether the final explosion was a intentional range-safety demolition or if the stress just tore the thing apart.

I was chanting “RUD RUD RUD” the whole time!    That was awesome!!

That drone shot was absolutely amazing. 

And astounding they were able to control it, let alone fly at all with that many engines out.  

2 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

That tumble was quite violent, impressive that it didn't break up!

I've flown that profile, lol

T+29s you could see engines blowing up.

So the containment works.

Looked to be an unplanned extension of their stage separation flip. Remember, they plan to separate stage 2 centrifugally instead of the normal way. If it works, great, that's a lot of hardware you don't need.

It did not work today, unsure why. It is possible that the engine outs meant that the ship was in a worse aerodynamic environment on separation than it would have been and there was too much drag to separate the ship. It is also possible that with the engine outs, there wasn't enough gimbal authority to gain enough angular velocity to yeet the ship away.

There was also a fuel imbalance noted, in a Discord server some people are hypothesizing a leak or fire, and that could have messed with stuff as well.

It got further than N1 ever did, though! The best N1 failed just before attempted stage separation, Starship got all the way there on flight one! Excellent demonstration of the engine shielding, no massive cascading failures!

Trajectory looked very familiar at after 2 minutes. I am sure many KSP players share the feeling when tried to launch heaviest rocket ever. I did not know that any real rocket can even stay in one piece at such spinning.

Nice try after all. No collateral damage  and I think they got loads of useful data for further development.