SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

All Falcon Heavy launches have had RTLS for the side boosters except for ViaSat-3, which was fully expended.

They have yet to do a dual drone ship landing.

There hasn't been a center core recovery either, correct?  An RLTS of side boosters with drone ship landing for center core would be stellar.  As I recall they attempted this on the Tesla/Starman launch

6 minutes ago, darthgently said:

There hasn't been a center core recovery either, correct?  An RLTS of side boosters with drone ship landing for center core would be stellar.  As I recall they attempted this on the Tesla/Starman launch

First three FH launches attempted a recovery of the center core.  1 and 3 didn't land, 2 (Arabsat 6A) landed but the octograbber wasn't set up for the FH core and therefore wasn't used.  It fell over on the trip back.

So strictly speaking they got half of a center core back.

maxresdefault.jpg

32 minutes ago, darthgently said:

Photoshop concept art needed:

When considering possible SS missions involving an expended booster might as well strap 2 to 4 recoverable F9s to the big booster to milk it for all its worth. 

Not much of a photoshop but it's something.

Looks more cursed than I was expecting.

Screenshot-2023-10-03-140952.png

15 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Bing decided that Starship should be much bigger, and much more Kerbal

OIG.lI4.SFrtA_OCkcjw_2uI?pid=ImgGn

When you want to speedrun the Kola Superdeep Borehole.

On topic, I'm going to revise my prediction for upcoming Starship flights, given the FWS paperwork that needs to go through, we'll probably scrape by with IFT-2 this year, while IFT-3 will follow early next year. Though provided how well IFT-2 goes, I still think they'll manage 4-5 flights next year. It would've been nice to have 3 test flights this year, but I think it'll end up being too tight. 2 is still possible imo.