SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

With Transporter 10 and the Starlink launch, they actually had two broadcasts going at the same time, and launched twice within two hours.

They also had 4 active spacecraft in orbit - Two Falcon 9s, and two Crew Dragons.

Imagery Support (placeholder)

Aircraft: WB-57 - JSC #927 (See full schedule)

Activity Category: Reimbursable

Date: Thursday, March 14, 2024

This proves nothing, but still...

It's on another (offline) calendar I am told, so sorta plausible.

Edited by tater

46 minutes ago, tater said:

Imagery Support (placeholder)

Aircraft: WB-57 - JSC #927 (See full schedule)

Activity Category: Reimbursable

Date: Thursday, March 14, 2024

This proves nothing, but still...

It's on another (offline) calendar I am told, so sorta plausible.

Pi Day means it has to go at least halfway around.

So...

Webcast starts at 7:30 (unless I'm blind and that's the launch time). No idea how long the window is but knowing how nerdy they are I wouldn't put it past them to be targeting 7:59:26 as a liftoff time (1:59:26 PM GMT) for maximum Pi day shenanigans.

Edit: Never mind, webcast starts at 6:30 CST, I must have originally seen the time from a screenshot of someone in a different time zone.

Edited by Ultimate Steve

It still hasn’t hit me there are now two super heavy lift launch vehicles flying again (SLS and Starship). Too much other stuff going on in the world and in life.

Last time we had this was either the early 1970s (N1 and Saturn V, although N1 only flew for a couple of minutes or seconds) or, if you count Shuttle as an SHLV, 1988 (Energia-Buran and Shuttle both flew that year).

It's funny that wasn't even officially posted.

Launch in as little as 8 days though, I wonder if they'll include pies in the webcast at all.

Wait, I just realized it's on my Spring break! I won't have to worry about missing it :D

Edited by Spaceception

From the launch update page:

The third flight test aims to build on what we’ve learned from previous flights while attempting a number of ambitious objectives, including the successful ascent burn of both stages, opening and closing Starship’s payload door, a propellant transfer demonstration during the upper stage’s coast phase, the first ever re-light of a Raptor engine while in space, and a controlled reentry of Starship. It will also fly a new trajectory, with Starship targeted to splashdown in the Indian Ocean. This new flight path enables us to attempt new techniques like in-space engine burns while maximizing public safety.

This is going to be a great launch. The entire flight should last about an hour from liftoff to splashdown. Shorter than IFT-2's projected flight by about half an hour. Maybe the engine relight brings them back into the atmosphere earlier (so it's not a short ignition/shutoff)

2 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Bummer - no graphics of an attempt to hoover before splashing into the Pacific 

Same as last time. Also, Indian Ocean this time.

28 minutes ago, tater said:

Same as last time. Also, Indian Ocean this time.

Ah - thanks for the correction. 

I'm hoping the fuel transfer experiment works - but I'd love to see them surprise us with a lit candle. 

7 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I'm hoping the fuel transfer experiment works - but I'd love to see them surprise us with a lit candle. 

has to survive reentry first, lol

3 minutes ago, tater said:

has to survive reentry first, lol

There are going to be tiles scattered from the Gulf of Mexico to the Indian Ocean unless they upgraded quite a bit. Like confetti in a parade.  That will be on the IFT-4 punchlist

52 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Bummer - no graphics of an attempt to hoover before splashing into the Pacific 

British readers will understand the image that comes to my mind... 

Spoiler

SpaceballMaid.jpg

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

British readers will understand the image that comes to my mind... 

Hide contents

SpaceballMaid.jpg

Everyone can appreciate a Spaceballs reference :) and Hoover, being an American company, is occasionally used as a verb here in the states also