Real Life "Kerbalisms"

Lisias

10 minutes ago, AstroWolfie said:

This was 2 years ago, but still. It's crazy!

reminds me of BDArmory.

My father apparently had something of roughly this category rigged into one of his first, late Soviet cars, alongside a loudspeaker under the hood (an Oka had a lot of space under the bonnet next to the anemic engine).

Then of course there's this classic.

Until individual tank ECM and micro-flak are perfected, nerds are going to be subjected to aesthetic suffering

AbAaLhDZoSE.jpg?size=956x956&quality=95&

That thing looks like solid sheet metal, not nets

"What if Jaws and Saw had a crossover?"

- evolution, 270 mln years ago

At the turn of the previous century, a rather unusual Permian-era fossil was spotted by an ethnographer Alexander Bessonov in the literal town of Perm and referred to Alexander Karpinsky

Helicoprion_Bessonovi2.jpg

It was quickly concluded that these are teeth, shark teeth to be specific (although the various early sharks have been further broken down and this is now deemed closer to a ratfish). The "teeth whorl" and its owner were dubbed Helicoprion bessonowi, and an elephant in the room remained: where did this thing go on the animal?

21256503896287d2d6bdb9923a482561.jpg

Not pictured is one tentative suggestion that this thing was rotary. And yes, Karpinsky did end up sticking it on every imaginable part of the beast.

The latest view by the guys interviewed a decade ago by NatGeo suggested a single file of teeth on the lower jaw, growing from the mouth outwards, and with the jaw closing they would very much perform a buzzsaw motion.

Helicoprion-Head-Ray-Troll-2013_3x4.jpg?

Edit: ah, found the artist's webtsite. Perfect.

Spoiler

Saws-Troll-Black-copy.jpg?bwg=1544032056

4 hours ago, DDE said:

"What if Jaws and Saw had a crossover?"

- evolution, 270 mln years ago

At the turn of the previous century, a rather unusual Permian-era fossil was spotted by an ethnographer Alexander Bessonov in the literal town of Perm and referred to Alexander Karpinsky

Helicoprion_Bessonovi2.jpg

It was quickly concluded that these are teeth, shark teeth to be specific (although the various early sharks have been further broken down and this is now deemed closer to a ratfish). The "teeth whorl" and its owner were dubbed Helicoprion bessonowi, and an elephant in the room remained: where did this thing go on the animal?

21256503896287d2d6bdb9923a482561.jpg

Not pictured is one tentative suggestion that this thing was rotary. And yes, Karpinsky did end up sticking it on every imaginable part of the beast.

The latest view by the guys interviewed a decade ago by NatGeo suggested a single file of teeth on the lower jaw, growing from the mouth outwards, and with the jaw closing they would very much perform a buzzsaw motion.

Helicoprion-Head-Ray-Troll-2013_3x4.jpg?

Edit: ah, found the artist's webtsite. Perfect.

Hide contents

Saws-Troll-Black-copy.jpg?bwg=1544032056

The rotating lower jaw one was amphibious and used by intelligent dinosaur to  cut down trees and make planks. 
Flintstone was pretty accurate outside the humans and the pointless cars. They had everything from fast cabs to +100 ton trains pulled by the huge dinosaurs. 
They was expanding out of current day Mexico. 
They did not have an space program :confused:

Posted (edited)

Crazy, almost desperate idea from WW2 era: doing MEDEVAC on pods mounted on the bomb mounts of a P-38.

What could possibly go wrong? :) ("Bombs awa..." uh... Whoops.. :sticktongue:)

(but it would be a hell of view!)

Experimental-air-ambulance-version-of-th

https://aviationhumor.net/experimental-air-ambulance-version-of-the-p-38/

Edited by Lisias
Tyops, as usulla...

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Could drop 'chutists.

Or pigeon bombs! (but with the pigeons replaced!).

Way easier to train, but extremely hard to deploy... :P (could work to the japs, however...)

4 hours ago, Lisias said:

Crazy, almost desperate idea from WW2 era: doing MEDEVAC on pods mounted on the bomb mounts of a P-38.

What could possibly go wrong? :) ("Bombs awa..." uh... Whoops.. :sticktongue:)

(but it would be a hell of view!)

Experimental-air-ambulance-version-of-th

https://aviationhumor.net/experimental-air-ambulance-version-of-the-p-38/

It keeps coming up and coming up. I know several sides in WWII had this sort of kit. This was the latest known attempt to bring it back:

198ieu65p57yvjpg.jpg

710x528_20086883_11573218_1687489306.jpg

5 minutes ago, DDE said:

It keeps coming up and coming up. I know several sides in WWII had this sort of kit. This was the latest known attempt to bring it back:

198ieu65p57yvjpg.jpg

You know... Sooner or later someone will try to deploy Commandos with these things! ("Commandos away...." :) )

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

Sooner or later someone will try to deploy Commandos with these things! ("Commandos away...." :) )

That was one of the proposals, yes.

b884cd71a2b2673d1da2e0a2203b652c.jpg

710x528_20086759_11573142_1687489305.jpg

Ah, yes, I found the IRL Helldiver pod.

When you hit "stage" by accident...

A befuddled crewmember near the plane’s tail reflexively shouted “Bombs away!” Carp, meanwhile, came barreling out of the bomb bay exclaiming “I didn’t touch anything! I didn’t touch anything!” The B-36’s radio operator sent a frantic distress call to base, telling the horrified tower operator, “We dropped a hydrogen bomb!”

Poor cow.

https://medium.com/@shermikeholmes88/the-time-we-accidentally-nuked-new-mexico-301489770be2

Spoiler

There's also another similar incident, involving a B-47 in South Carolina - some people got hurt in this one.

Specially worrying, however, was the B-52 incident also depicted on the same article.

On 4/24/2024 at 4:45 PM, DDE said:

198ieu65p57yvjpg.jpg

Back in the Korean war this was standard for helicopter medevac as you could not fit an stretcher inside the two man cockpit. It was also realized giving trauma treatment during medevac significantly increased the survival chance after serious incidents. 
25 years ago I studied engineering and the student dorms was previously only used by nurse student because  we was next to an hospital. 
One spring night I woke up in shock an binding light filled the room and it was very noisy. 
It was an medevac helicopter using our high rise as an visual aid toward the hospital. 
It I had someone with something  critical like an stoke I would also gone in very tactical, the students just start drinking again :) 

On 4/26/2024 at 8:50 PM, kerbiloid said:

Mi-28 has a radio compartment, also purposed for the evacuation of 2 (3 if tamp) people, or bail out a squad of hobbitroopers.

Reveal hidden contents

%D0%B2%D0%B5%D1%80%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%

It would be so cool to know how this thing would have fitted into Soviet doctrine in Central Europe had the Pact not fell. It’s very different from the Mi-24.