American landing site

jebidah'sleftthumb

17 minutes ago, jebidah'sleftthumb said:

I think I found an American landing site on the mun. It's a large obliesk with an American flag with a small lander. Anyone know the history of it, why its there? Thanks in advance :)

Also to confirm finding it was an accident. I've never heard about it before, and happened to stumble across it on my second mun landing 

I believe that  is to commerate the first moon landing by Apollo 11

Let me give you your first rep point. Nice find! That does sound like the Apollo 11 site, though if you go around to the other side you'll see a plaque and it's actually a memorial to Neil Armstrong, who died in 2012.

It's placed on Mun exactly where on the Moon they landed, so if you get out and look at Kerbin, you'll have a decent idea of what Neil and Buzz saw. I found the experience a bit humbling.

5 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

Good thing I have scan sat.

Stock Kerbnet will find them if your probe core is listed as being able to scan for Anomalies.

I'm not sure which probes can do that (or even if it's named exactly that) because the wiki doesn't show that info and I'm not running the game right now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.