Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

Youtube figured out how to push ads on Discord embeds... Oh no... I'll have to now click to open them in my browser and let Ublock save me. Still annoying...

On another note... An old pair of regulars came to the store today. Bad enough I had the Saturday shift today... They were waiting at the door before I had even arrived. The wife ends up wasting my time for 35 minutes as she expects me to fix her karaoke app, which is clearly having issues communicating with the app servers, ie... nothing I can do about it. Meanwhile, I have another customer walk in. Before I can go and help him, this woman's hubby decides to chat up this new potential customer, who mentioned coming by to set up a new cell phone plan. This guy literally talks the potential customer into going down the street to a different cellular provider...

DUDE... BRUH... 

Are you kidding me!?

Those two come to the shop, noticeably unwashed, take up 35 minutes of my time for something I had stated repeatedly was out of my control... And they literally drive off another potential customer by actively talking them into checking out other cell providers in a shop that sells PCs, electronics, tech support services... and CELL PHONES!?!? DUDE! Just leave! Go away! Just completely disrespect me and drive off customers. Oh my God, why not just make my Saturday shift AWFUL!

2 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Works well on a computer but not on my mobile or my ps5 :( 

i hate phone software. the reason everything is in an app is because they dont want people to be able to control their content delivery client (browser).

2 hours ago, richfiles said:

Youtube figured out how to push ads on Discord embeds... Oh no... I'll have to now click to open them in my browser and let Ublock save me. Still annoying...

On another note... An old pair of regulars came to the store today. Bad enough I had the Saturday shift today... They were waiting at the door before I had even arrived. The wife ends up wasting my time for 35 minutes as she expects me to fix her karaoke app, which is clearly having issues communicating with the app servers, ie... nothing I can do about it. Meanwhile, I have another customer walk in. Before I can go and help him, this woman's hubby decides to chat up this new potential customer, who mentioned coming by to set up a new cell phone plan. This guy literally talks the potential customer into going down the street to a different cellular provider...

DUDE... BRUH... 

Are you kidding me!?

Those two come to the shop, noticeably unwashed, take up 35 minutes of my time for something I had stated repeatedly was out of my control... And they literally drive off another potential customer by actively talking them into checking out other cell providers in a shop that sells PCs, electronics, tech support services... and CELL PHONES!?!? DUDE! Just leave! Go away! Just completely disrespect me and drive off customers. Oh my God, why not just make my Saturday shift AWFUL!

this is why i stopped doing pc repair. i got tired of people bugging me with mundane software problems. it is not my job to help you get laid on myspace (yea this was a long time ago).  no i wont help you pirate things. you have an actual technical question fine. want me to upgrade your gpu fine. want me to install more ram fine. but im not your entertainment coordinator.

Edited by Nuke

14 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Youtube

Oh, I wasn't going to share, but now that you've mentioned it... seems like the absolute honeymoon of having an ad-free Youtube in Russia has come to an end. Along with Youtube itself.

Now, it's not clear what exactly is happening. There's an official decision to throttle it by 70% using the state-controlled censorship/counter-cyberwarfare suites installed by the high-level ISPs because of... disagreements with Youtubes' moderation policy. And until the middle of last week or so, it seemed like they were doing exactly that, and not an inch more.

But now, it's down almost completely. The page loads, the interface works perfectly and smoothly, but the video just... doesn't vidya. The aforementioned Internet providers point their fingers at local Google Global Cash servers breaking down from lack of maintenance. The government repeats those claims, with the added finger-wagging about the risks from using non-cooperative VPNs. Google doesn't comment.

Help, I'm going through withdrawal...

24 minutes ago, DDE said:

But now, it's down almost completely. The page loads, the interface works perfectly and smoothly, but the video just... doesn't vidya.

Depends on the local provider and used additional software on the same desktop.

Some run same good as before. Also some bypass websites have been cured (not to jinx them).

Edited by kerbiloid

9 hours ago, DDE said:

Oh, I wasn't going to share, but now that you've mentioned it... seems like the absolute honeymoon of having an ad-free Youtube in Russia has come to an end. Along with Youtube itself.

Now, it's not clear what exactly is happening. There's an official decision to throttle it by 70% using the state-controlled censorship/counter-cyberwarfare suites installed by the high-level ISPs because of... disagreements with Youtubes' moderation policy. And until the middle of last week or so, it seemed like they were doing exactly that, and not an inch more.

But now, it's down almost completely. The page loads, the interface works perfectly and smoothly, but the video just... doesn't vidya. The aforementioned Internet providers point their fingers at local Google Global Cash servers breaking down from lack of maintenance. The government repeats those claims, with the added finger-wagging about the risks from using non-cooperative VPNs. Google doesn't comment.

having luck with ublock origin on firefox. no ads here. its a tug of war, google does something evil, adblockers devs counter.

Edited by Nuke

On 8/3/2024 at 8:02 PM, Fizzlebop Smith said:

Purchased a domain to make a site for heartwarming stories, user submitted.

Like post secret but happy excrements.

My level of technical experience is abyssmal and i jave a lenchant for procrastinating, so I'll probably get it off the ground sometime next year.

That sounds fun! Tell me when it’s done, will ya?

On 8/4/2024 at 7:34 AM, DDE said:

1. PC, not console or phone or whatever.
  2. Firefox, not Chrome.
  3. Easy YouTube Video Downloader. You want the one from here: https://www.yourvideofile.org/support.html
  4. Plex server. They're pretty lightweight. I run one 24/7 on my aging gaming computer and it runs fine.
  5. Now you can watch your videos (and delete them once done) from anywhere, after you've downloaded them from YouTube to watch locally.

NOTE: This assumes that the problem is them throttling your videos and you COULD watch them if you waited several minutes each time it "caches" your video. The downloading could take as long as it wants to, you don't care as you're going to watch them later.

I've been watching videos like this for over a decade and would never willingly go back to the YT interface.

3 hours ago, Zozaf Kerman said:

Mercury is crazy, can’t that be fatal!?

Even more insidious, is it causes neurological degradation long before fatal doses!

17 hours ago, Zozaf Kerman said:

Absolutely. I'm more interested in how she - as I understand - then sat down in the chair opposite.

1 hour ago, Iapetus7342 said:

IS THAT PERSON INSANE?

...I think it's a distinct possibility. She hasn't actually been arrested yet (article 115, 'minor damage to health', only one official casulaty, a few years of jail tops), but everything that's happened to this point makes her sound genuinely batty.

Spoiler

scale_720

max_g480_c12_r4x3_pd20

For one thing, she was such a chessmaster that she just asked the organizers if the security cameras were on. They lied they weren't. As can be seen above... womp-womp, caught in minutes (also, as per official reports, they only learned it from her it was mercury and the room needed to be cleared, even though other reports indicate the referee immediately physically collected the offending metal into a baggie and the game continued despite the victim's headache).

Then there's the version she's giving to the media. According to her, this has absolutely nothing do with chess, her opponent - who just happens to be a Europe champion who beat her recently - was just insulting her family behind her back.

40 minutes ago, DDE said:

...I think it's a distinct possibility. She hasn't actually been arrested yet (article 115, 'minor damage to health', only one official casulaty, a few years of jail tops), but everything that's happened to this point makes her sound genuinely batty.

Reveal hidden contents

scale_720

max_g480_c12_r4x3_pd20

For one thing, she was such a chessmaster that she just asked the organizers if the security cameras were on. They lied they weren't. As can be seen above... womp-womp, caught in minutes (also, as per official reports, they only learned it from her it was mercury and the room needed to be cleared, even though other reports indicate the referee immediately physically collected the offending metal into a baggie and the game continued despite the victim's headache).

Then there's the version she's giving to the media. According to her, this has absolutely nothing do with chess, her opponent - who just happens to be a Europe champion who beat her recently - was just insulting her family behind her back.

It's a bird, it's a plane!

It's my faith in humanity flying away into deep space!

4 hours ago, DDE said:

Oh that makes it okay then.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

"Likes" don't seem appropriate.

I’ve been in worse situations before. Aside from the freak storm that knocked out the power on the other side of the country from Where they had already deployed the resources for the expected outages during the hurricane, the weather has been nice.   We’ve had the windows open with a very pleasant onshore breeze everyday, and we’ve dug into the large stack of unplayed board games we’ve accumulated over the past couple months.  With my workshop shop space being unpowered, my large collection of work lights and fans has been nice.    She even apologized for complaining about me buying those in the past.   

But after 4 days of not having a real shower, we hit a hotel last night.     Having hot water again was nice.    

And we’re not scheduled to get power back for another 4-5 days.    

On 8/7/2024 at 9:02 PM, Zozaf Kerman said:

Mercury is a deadly element, sometime affecting slowly or more quickly.  Poisoning of the environment from Mercury in volcanic eruptions is a major factor in their impact, especially in the larger forms like Flood Basalts.  (At least Flood Basalts are all in the Geologic Past and have a lot of warning signs.)

One thing any lab that deals in Metallic Mercury always has is Flowers of Sulphur, ie. powdered Sulphur.  After cleaning up a Mercury spill, Sulphur is liberally spread around where the Mercury was.  Any Mercury that's in cracks and crevices will react with the Suphur to form a compound.  Else the Mercury will vapourize and be breathed in.

Deadliness of Mercury increasing I think goes roughly Metallic Mercury (but forms vapour) -> Inorganic Mercury Compounds -> Organic Mercury Compounds.  Absorption into the body is needed, but with enough of them around will happen.

There are other dangerous materials, but Mercury is a common one that isn't given enough attention by a lot of people.

I fell backwards off a log and broke my radius and ulna in my wrist. Less than a week before school too. 

Edited by Ryaja
At least I didn't gain a second wrist.

I messed up a ton of my paint on most of my armor minis and got to strip ALL of the paint off and now I have to reprime and airbrush them. As if it couldn’t be worse, I then ran out of NATO Green today (my base color) and my local shop has no more NATO Green paint…