The Upcoming Movies (and Movie Trailers) MegaThread!

StrandedonEarth

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

IIRC that's the 'Going West' thing the Elves were doing

Right, but that was them leaving Middle Earth, which was a positive thing for an Elf. So the Elves ENTERING Middle Earth was therefore a negative thing that they were doing out of necessity, not because it was so great to do.

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

Right, but that was them leaving Middle Earth, which was a positive thing for an Elf. So the Elves ENTERING Middle Earth was therefore a negative thing that they were doing out of necessity, not because it was so great to do.

Going off of 35 year old memories; IIRC, they were there from the beginning and supposed to be care-takers or something.  Then all the other races either arrived (Humans, Hobbits) or were created to compete (Orcs, etc.)... or am I misremembering?  They were there - it was a place to exist and effectively be immortal; but going West was when they'd finally realized the world had moved on and they were superfluous or something.  

I don't really remember them having a migratory phase to Middle Earth

17 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Going off of 35 year old memories

I can only really go by what's in the show and what others say, as I didn't read enough of it to be able to speak with any authority.

In the show, they seem to have come to Middle Earth specifically for the task for stopping this great evil thing of which Sauron was a big part.

3 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

@kerbiloid - were you talking about this?

3 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

But... this excerpt?  Is it accurate?

Melkor had the most powerful amp and speakers of all Ainur, so those floating in space next to him inadvertedly picked up the screams of "What's up, I got Patrone in my cup!". Upon hearing the screwup, Eluvatar rose and with a fatherly smile started a new song, and it had new strength and new beauty. But the beautiful words about broken hallelujah were once again mixed with screams of "One Boy, One Girl" - and although there were no boys or girls among the Ainur, Melkor was getting the upper hand again.

Yes, it's the text which I mean, but in translation it sounds rather different.

(The narrator's mud and intonation in original is specific.)

I watched the 3 LoTR movies, but had some serious issues with them. Most importantly completely taking all agency from the characters who should be the protagonists (Hobbits)—no scouring of the Shire! The oversized orcs were also annoying.

I watched the first of the Hobbit movies, was so disgusted I didn't watch the others.

8 hours ago, tater said:

no scouring of the Shire!

I think the lack of Saruman a.k.a. Sharky shaking down the Shire in a pitiful stab at rounding out the Hero's journey was one of the things the movies got exactly right. That and leaving out Tom Bombadil.

Edited by Superfluous J

47 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

That and leaving out Tom Bombadil

Disagree! - how you leave Tom out of the story is odd.  You have to put him in, even if merely an 'unexplained cameo' - readers will get the reference, explain it to the casual film goer and it doesn't leave the gaping hole.  (Part of the wonder and oddity of the world - the beginning needs wonder, frivolity and oddness to counter later grittiness with the darkness of Sauron and the Nazgul.)

9 hours ago, tater said:

watched the 3 LoTR movies, but had some serious issues with them

I brought my in-laws to the first.  None of them had read any of the stories.  My FIL summarized it as "Run-run-run... Fight-fight-fight".  He never knew what was going on, or why. 

Still - I thought PJ did a really good job of bringing the story to the big screen, and the use of New Zealand was brilliant! 

58 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

I think the lack of Saruman a.k.a. Sharky shaking down the Shire in a pitiful stab at rounding out the Hero's journey was one of the things the movies got exactly right. That and leaving out Tom Bombadil.

There was no hero's journey, Frodo and Sam were an afterthought in the movies. This was clear at The Ford of Bruinen when Frodo should have drawn Sting to face the riders and certainly die, only to then be saved—and instead he simply stayed virtually unconscious to be saved by Arwen, his entire agency stolen by leaving out literally 2 seconds of film showing him ready to fight and die—so they could add agency to a character that should not have been there.

(edit: I might have remembered some of that wrong, I only saw the movies the one time in the theater, I found them visually nice, but was not super happy with them, and have not seen them since)

(edit 2: When Sam and Frodo were in Osgiliath in the movie Sam says something like "by all rights we shouldn't be here, Mr Frodo" and I said out loud, in the theater, "You're ___ ____ right you shouldn't be there" (Walter White voice)—because they were never there.)

Edited by tater

On 9/4/2022 at 5:01 PM, tater said:

There was no hero's journey, Frodo and Sam were an afterthought in the movies. This was clear at The Ford of Bruinen when Frodo should have drawn Sting to face the riders and certainly die, only to then be saved—and instead he simply stayed virtually unconscious to be saved by Arwen, his entire agency stolen by leaving out literally 2 seconds of film showing him ready to fight and die—so they could add agency to a character that should not have been there.

The whole "Xenarwen" thing only got corrected hy the release of the second film, but its slimy trail is all over Helm's Deep. They managed to edit Arwen out of it, but not an entire army of elves.

Spoiler

b6ff88ff178eaf43ad3b1af13a846b9c.jpg

Tauriel of the Hobbit series also did not get particularly improved by the last-second addition of a love triangle... after the actress was promised there wouldn't be a love triangle.

It seems she-elves just can't catch a break in that franchise.

So, I was looking up information about Dune: Part Two. And I noticed that Villenueve had cast Christopher Walken as Emperor Shaddam IV. Which is awesome. I think Walken is one of the great character actors of our time, I don't really think he gets the respect he deserves.

But then I got this image in my head. I can't get it out. "Paul. Your father. He wanted you to have this gold watch...." :D

On 9/16/2022 at 8:36 AM, TheSaint said:

But then I got this image in my head. I can't get it out. "Paul. Your father. He wanted you to have this gold watch...." :D

Spoiler

So you would say the image is etched in your memory?

inglourious-baster-besslavnye.jpg

Since their fancy nukes we can expect a NK-Orion quite soon.

They don't know the word "too risky".

Also it's all about mechanics, not about big rocket voodoo.

Also, they have the whole ocean to launch.
Nothing but Japan is on the way.

Also as they don't have a Shuttle SRB or UR-700/Energy booster, we could have a chance to watch the oceanic nuclear launch, with a half-kilometer deep crater in water.

Edited by kerbiloid

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

(Eternally upcoming The Walking Dead)

Rick Grimes daughter:

As of "What Comes After", Judith has been portrayed by 8 different sets of twin actors and 2 child actresses. This means she has 18 actors, the most of any character. The last set of twins, Chloe & Sophia Garcia-Frizzi, are the first ones to make it an entire season.

Such important character...

yea the walking dead has been on way too long. i think it has ruined zombies for me. 

its like the fifth season of babylon5, but for 5 seasons, at least. 

Edited by Nuke

Posted about this film in the right thread for :) 

In terms of visuals it looks really pretty, not quite sure about the plot though, can't be much more flat than the first one in that respect since you really can't get that generic, but with all the lousy CGI currently circulating this should be a welcome change.